“Food without flaws”

Ranked #10 of 57 Restaurants in Tofino
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Fresh local food made with love in Tofino, BC.
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Went there 2 days in the row.
The first lunch experience was simple fantastic . Unpretentious everything . The service was warm, friendly , helpful and informative . Like the Restaurant and its West Coast design. Food and presentation was outstanding and created with love. The next day lunch was a bit different . Our Server was very reserved and did not inform us at all about the specials. She was attentive but without a smile or real interest , there was also a male server that appeared to be rather very serious or " pissed off" . It became rather apparent as one of the owners came into the room and started giving him
Orders in a rather brisk way ..clean the table do this ... The atmosphere this time around was completely different and rather " cold". The food and presentation was again outstanding and original. Suggest to call the stuffed Tofu -TofuSkin ! Pizza crust outstanding ! Found it interesting that 2 visits could be 2completely experiences all together. Noticed also the Chef and partner were chatting very friendly with the locals but ignored the visitors .
Maybe not so unpretentious after all !

Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stopped in for a quick bite just to tide us over until supper. My spouse had the special, which was a roasted beet and goat cheese salad, while I had the killer fish taco. Both were very good. We got our food extremely quickly and were able to enjoy it in a very nice atmosphere. My only complaint about my taco was that it came in a hard shell which instantly reminded me of the kind you get in the Old El Paso boxes. I was hoping for an actual tortilla, which probably also would have made it easier to keep all the stuff from falling out! Our waitress wasn't the most friendly person in the world, but we didn't have to deal with her very much since this was just a quick stop. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had heard that Sobo was a great restaurant and finding ourselves in Tofino on a November lunchtime we decided to give it a try and I am so glad we did
The food is delicious, fresh ingredients, innovative ideas and although I note some people think it is pricey we did not think so, in fact it was great value for money.
I had the stuffed jalapeno starter, wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese and it was delicious. My husband had the renowned fish chowder which was also delicious. I had a roasted beet salad which unlike most restaurants had more beets than greens and was lovely. My husband had the ahi tuna which was so fresh and lovely. The staff were wonderful, our server was delightful, friendly and knowledgeable. Would I go again, definitely.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We came to Sobo for a nice dinner out and while the atmosphere was nice, the food was okay. We ordered a number of dishes and one of them, vegetable curry, was awful. We ended up letting the server know and she very kindly took it away. She ended up letting us know that an ingredient was missed and removed the dish from our bill ($22). We did have an excellent vegan chocolate mousse tart and that was probably the most delicious thing on the menu. I imagine the curry would have tasted better had it been made correctly, but still disappointing nonetheless.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

The restaurant was recommended to me by friends and there were no surprises here as everything I was told about this place was true. We shared the generous portion of their antipasto which was an excellent choice as there was a variety of everything. My wife went for their special, which was a tenderloin you could cut with a fork and I chose their cod dish from their menu which was superb. The service was great - not too fast and not too slow and you can always tell the staff work well with the kitchen when the food is presented nice and hot. We had a nice table overlooking the town and had the opportunity to meet the owner, Artie, who was professional in deflecting all compliments we made about his restaurant to his wonderful staff. This restaurant is now on our bucket list for future visits to Tofino.