“Good for cafe-style food”
Review of Sweet Cherubim

Sweet Cherubim
Ranked #634 of 3,948 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Description: Sweet Cherubim Organic and Natural Food Store, Bakery, and Restaurant Relaxed counter-serve eatery for vegetarian & vegan fare, with a bakery & shop for natural foods.Sweet Cherubim founded in 1980 Bagga family has a mission to provide delicious and nutritious foods customers, satisfying employment to staff and to serve the community through promoting good health and clean living. Winner : Stars Of Vancouver 2013 Vancouver Courier Reader's Choice Awards Restaurant is open Mon-Sat 10AM to 10Pm Sundays & Holidays 11AM to 10PM
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I come from the GTA, and Indian Food in Vancouver virtually never pleases me (it's never spicy enough, but I think that's because people in the GTA eat a lot more spicy Indian food than people here do). But, for cafe-style Indian food in Vancouver, it does not get much better! It's cheap. It's pretty good. However, remember, if you eat medium spicy in Toronto, ask for SUPER EXTRA SPICY everywhere you go in Vancouver. But, I'd give that pointer to anybody eating out in Vancouver.. not just to those eating here.
Cheap, and yummy. :)

1  Thank smfische
Sweetcheru, Owner at Sweet Cherubim, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Smfische,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We agree that people eat less spicy in Vancouver than they eat in Toronto. Next time try our Bombay Platter and ask for extra hot sauce or cayenne sprinkled on it .
Thanks again and happy travels.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stumbled on this place on a Sunday with 2 other friends. This place had two divisions; one is the grocery store that sells generally which they claimed are organic and baked goodies, like fried and baked samosas, and cookies. The other part is the restaurant. I would call it eating area. You can go to the eating area and grocery and vice versa through a passage. You won’t get lost. They’re just separated by a wall.
In the eating area, a deli like glass cooler displayed food trays with assorted salads and other ethnic food prepared previously.

Cookies cost over $2.00- $ 2.45 each plus tax. The eating area had cookies displayed located in the front counter. You go to the counter, order your food and pay. They heat up your food or cook it, then call your name when your food is ready. You go to the counter, pick up your food and take it to your table. You, the customer, serve yourself. There were real plates, spoons, and forks to use. To an innocent passer by looking through the panel window from the street, (this is why we went in to eat, if only we knew), one would think of it as a casual restaurant because there were tables quite kempt and neat. You’ll see people eating on real plates, not paper or Styrofoam. So who could say it wasn’t a restaurant? But the real score is:
you get your plates, your cutlery and set your table. You buy your drink. You bring that to your table.
You clean up after yourself. If you’re happy, you give them a tip. The coffee they serve, they said was organic but it tasted as any regular coffee. Cookies, cost a lot. The same base, semolina, sugar, etc. except that they put in pecans if you want to eat pecan cookies or if you buy almond cookies, it’s the same taste except they put in almonds; if you buy birds' nest cookies, same taste. They just put jam in the middle.
Samosas cost $3.45- 3.50 each. "If you order sauce," the counter girl said," it’s expensive. Go to the grocery next door, buy your samosa, bring it here in the "restaurant" and you can eat it here."
Value for our money? Too much money, too much hype. If you're vegetarian, go to any deli shop and order a vegetable salad. This place advertised they use sunflower oil. The grocery portion of this place is also expensive. The soya milk is pricey. The ingredients are the same as the one you could buy from Galloway's stores. To summarize,
1. it isn't a restaurant; you serve yourself.
2. food is pricey
3. no labels on food; what a cookie ingredients are; just guess; counter girls don’t know

Recommended? Not really.

1  Thank clarionsite
Sweetcheru, Owner at Sweet Cherubim, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear CanadaLou
Thanks you for taking the time to review us. We have noted your concerns and here is our response.
1. it isn't a restaurant; you serve yourself.........................................
Yes. This is correct. When we started in 1980 we did not not know about this and we named our place restaurant. We will specify this on our website and faceboook page so customers can make informed decisions.
2. food is pricey.............................................
Samosa in the restaurant cost more than in store for obvious reasons( seating, dishes, dish-washing, staff wages etc)
Organic and natural food in Canada is pricier compared to regular foods. We are not a substitute for fast food chains. We use fresh fruits and vegetables, and organic ingredients rather than cheap ingredients. None of our ingredients have chemical additives or preservatives. The only allergens in our place are tree nuts, sesame, wheat, soy and milk.
If you took time to find out the ingredients your opinion will change.
3. no labels on food..................................
Many products have ingredients on the signs. The cashiers have a book of ingredients.
Almost every item is labeled with claims such as wheat free, vegan, raw etc. Although not possible, but we are trying to have ingredients on each sign.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I love all the food here, any time I have eaten here I have left full and satisfied. What more can I say.

1  Thank Shasta B

Dear Shasta,
Thank you so much for a nice review. I am glad you liked us and we will continue to do our best.
Best wishes

Reviewed 12 March 2013

First time visitors, my girlfriend and I arrived on a Sunday evening around 7pm. First thought upon entering and surveying the scene--do we seat ourselves? We decided that yes, we should. So sit down we did. The girl at the counter was occupied with a patron and didn't tell us otherwise.

We were gazing at the menu which is written on the walls behind the service counters for a few minutes. The girl at the register started talking to another employee who was seated at the table behind my girlfriend and I. Sounded like she was telling her she had customers, meaning us. The employee replied that she was on her break. For this we were hopeful someone would give us menus or some water, etc.

This girl continues her breaking, so I, a bit annoyed by now, got up and stood in line to ask someone how, exactly, I go about eating in at this place. Eventually I find out that yes, we order at the counter, there is no table service and blah blah blah. So we order. The food was decent, but the counter girl did have a slight attitude when my credit card transaction accidentally cancelled. Maybe she was having a bad day, but she seemed to feel I was a dope for erring, so I asked "Why don't you just do it then?"

This place could stand to have a little sign or something indicating "Order at Counter" or at least have a front-of-house person without the attitude.

My girlfriend was keen to check out the adjacent store, but they closed at 730. Don't think we'll be headed back.

1  Thank Christopher N
Sweetcheru, Owner at Sweet Cherubim, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear Joseph,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write the review. We appreciate it and have noted the suggestions. We will put up the sign - order at the counter - as you have suggested.
We apologize that the service was not as you expected when you visited us but please be assured we will try harder to offer excellent customer service in future. We like you to be a satisfied guest and I personally invite you to visit us again. Please feel free to call me at 604-253-0969
Thanks again for your support and understanding.
Brij Mohan Chopra ( Manager)

Reviewed 1 February 2013

went to Sweet Cherubim last weekend and was over whelmed with the customer service that is provided at the this place. when I entered the store, the cashier said hello in spite of being busy and since the vitamin clerk was busy as well, the manager himself came and helped me.
It was totally unlike other stores where no one is willing to help and you are just given one rude answer. I would definitely encourage others to give this place one shot because it is totally worth it.

1  Thank carmen w

Dear Carmen,
Thank you very much for your review. It encourages us to do better.
Best wishes