“Classic Luxury - Definitely a Potential 5-Star Hotel”

Rosewood Hotel Georgia
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Having stayed at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia 2.5 weeks after a grand opening from a massive gutting and renovation of this landmark Vancouver property, and a rebranding to the Rosewood name, I found this property to be pure classic luxury with the highest standards to offer their guests.

The entire staff are outstanding, most welcoming, hospitable, and takes great interest in your stay at their property. The entire staff are very proud to be at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia and their enthusiasm definitely shines through.

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful while very relaxing. I did not get that stuffy feeling you can get staying at a top luxury hotel. The hotel exudes a welcoming, sit down and relax feeling. The furnishings in the lobby are gorgeous and fits the decor perfectly.

The room I had was on the 6th floor overlooking Howe Street. The room windows do open wide - how refreshing it was to find this. I could hear no noise at all, street level or outside the room. The room itself is luxury. The furnishings, color coordination, bed and bedding (the best ever) (sorry Frette) and lighting are perfection. I might also add very, very, comfortable, beautiful, and of the best craftsmanship. Touch lighting is utilized throughout the room. A computer keyboard in the desk drawer is available for use anytime and set up through the television system - and free of charge. A very nice touch and was used. I also liked the Seiko alarm clock that was stylish yet very simple to set an alarm. We know how hotels have gotten with trying to set an alarm on a clock.

The bathroom - possibly the best I have encountered, Huge is not the word. You could live in the bathroom it is so big and beautiful. Everything is well thought out even down to the heated floor. You could have a party in the rainforest shower it is that big or possibly a smaller gathering in the soaking tub. All the amenities are there that one would expect at a luxury hotel and of the very highest quality.

The fitness center/spa/pool are amazing. The fitness center has all the newest and latest equipment available in a wonderful and airy room to work out in. Again, all the nice touches one would look for at a hotel of the caliber are available. The pool area in my opinion is the second best feature of this hotel. Stunning, breathtaking, unbelievable are just a few words to describe this indoor pool area. Chairs, chaise lounges, couches, towels - again no expense spared in having the absolute best for this hotel. I actually felt like I was in some kind of Roman bath. You must stay if for anything the pool area.

I did have breakfast at Hawksworth Restaurant. Decor, service, and food were excellent and price point was what is expected of a dining establishment of this high caliber. Absolutely no complaints for breakfast at Hawksworth.

I utilized the business center and was very surprised to see two brand new Mac computers, the top of the line Mac computers for complimentary use. Being Mac illiterate, the hotel staff was most helpful in getting me started.

The 1927 lobby bar was very nice, the drink was excellent, service outstanding, and pleasant, and overall a very relaxing time spent. Definitely have a drink or two there.

The staff of the Rosewood Hotel Georgia is the #1 best feature of this property. Of the staff, the concierge staff I had multiple dealings with, Heather and Rob are the shining stars of the Hotel Georgia. Both are Members, Les Clefs d'Or Canada as well as the other team member of the concierge staff and one will be attaining membership into this prestigious organization in November, making the Rosewood Hotel Georgia the only hotel in Canada to have four Members Les Clefs d'Or Canada. This staff, again, particularly Heather and Rob know the city of Vancouver nside and out, all recommendations were right on, and some unusual requests were handled professionally, timely, and always with the result I the guest was looking for. My many interactions with this team certainly made me feel like I was their only guest. Heather and Rob are very special people and take pride in their work and pride in their hotel. I cannot highly recommend enough using their knowledge and services offered. As I said at the beginning of this review, all staff members are enthusiastic, proud of their job, and proud to be of any service to their guests to make the stay a very memorable on.

I was fortunate to be able to utilize the Bentley car and driver, Jim, to the Pacific Central Station. What can I say, I will never forget the ride, the car, nor Jim. Jim is a pleasure to talk to, always smiling, cheerful, and cares so much about the guest. He is such an asset to this organization and someone I shall not forget. Professional and caring at all times -- what more can you ask for in an employee or a person. I actually had wished he could have hopped on the train with me so we could continue our discussions on various topics.

I apologize for this lengthy report, however, I really wanted to give future guests a clear picture of this property. Remember please, the Rosewood Hotel Georgia had only been open 2.5 weeks, so there were some issues and definite oversights I saw during my stay. I will say every staff member took their time to listen to my suggestions, ideas, and thoughts and I believe took them to heart. I did not hesitate to let them know too, in a nice way. To give you a good idea, the following was what I found.

I was skipped one night for turn-down service. Was offered a very sincere apology from the Front Desk Manager regarding this oversight that should have never happened.
My room was rather small. Not the huge rooms I have encountered at other luxury hotels. Very little space for clothing. This in my opinion was the weakest and most disappointing part of the hotel. Actually had to have housekeeping come and get the extra pillows and blanket just to give myself more space in the closet. The business center with its new computers,etc., had absolutely no supplies to utilize that is readily available unless it was all hiding. The spa/fitness center/pool area - as absolutely beautiful as it is, offered none of the touches you will find at a luxury property's spa/fitness center/pool, i.e., lockers, (there were only 2), places to sit and change, and all the toiletries that are offered that take it a step higher. No footwear to use while in this area nor were there robes to put on. Also, there was no place to put the wet swimsuit but this issue has been addressed and there will be a suit dryer installed as soon as the equipment gets in. I was very disappointed and surprised to see how lacking this area was in comparison to a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Shangri-La, Pan-Pacific, and Fairmont properties fitness center/pool area. However, Lenny, Spa Receptionist was outstanding, proactive in tackling my dilemma, and solved my problem. She is definitely the kind of member you want on your team to take you to the top.

Again, this was an outstanding stay, all the comforts one could want or ask for. The staff unsurpassed on their duties. The strongest asset of this hotel. However. to reach that pinnacle of being "the best Vancouver hotel" it is the small attention to details that separate properties as they are all in the general price range. This is where the Rosewood Hotel Georgia still needs improvement. It will be the little things that take it to the top and a 5-star rating. I will be back and cannot wait to see and notice the changes and the evolving nuances that take place to achieve this hospitality ranking as #1 place to stay in Vancouver. It can happen.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank myluvoftravel
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Hotel Georgia

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We recently stayed at the Hotel Georgia, a family of four and a dachshund.

We've stayed at several hotels in Vancouver, but none of them is this special. The location is perfect. The restaurant, Hawkesworth, was extraordinary. Everyone who works there is kind and friendly and helpful. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept on. I've been searching online to find something comparable. The pool is gorgeous and so much fun with 8 geometric windows in the floor that continually change colour.

If you go, be kind to them. They deserve it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank vancouver23
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Living here in Vancouver, we thought we'd take one for the team, and spend a couple of nights at this newly renovated landmark hotel so we could report our findings on this forum, to assist visitors in their decision in selecting accommodation. I know, a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

The restoration is superb, marrying the historic with the modern. A classy lobby greets you, complete with rich mahogany, brass and a dazzling chandelier. Touches of the past are to be found with the original staircase, and pieces like the old wall mounted mailbox, period clock above the entrance, and even retro elevator dials!

We had a room on the 8th floor overlooking the art gallery, the best choice if you can swing it. The room was more like a small apartment, well appointed, and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge, with two vanities, soaker tub, and separate walk in shower. A quality turn down service occurred each evening.

A superb lap pool and modern fitness centre are on the 4th floor, a popular restaurant and the lobby lounge are located on the ground floor. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and had cocktails in the lounge, and both were excellent. Also a Bentley is made available to guests for complimentary use around the city centre.

Look for the subtle nods to the past, doormen wearing fedora's, lounge waitresses wearing 1920's outfits and even "Sweet Georgia Brown" being played at 11-08 twice a day in recognition of the time it reopened!

But it's the service that commands the greatest recognition. From the check in desk, to the concierges, to the bellmen and doormen, bar staff and Jim the driver, they executed their duties with the highest degree of professionalism. Extremely courteous, yet friendly. Well done!

The only disappointment was the Prohibition Bar was still under construction, and it sounds like it will be a cool place once it's up and running, so there's a good reason to return!

Overall, a stylish and thoughtful renovation of a classic 1927 hotel that scores a bulls eye. Expensive, but highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vancana
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We recently spent a couple nights at the Rosewood and it was easily one of the highlights of our trip. Every staff member we met was incredibly friendly, accommodating, and went beyond our expectations with every interaction. To give a quick example, we asked at the concierge for walking directions to Gastown and Chinatown, and instead wound up getting a ride there in the hotel's Bentley, along with a driving tour of the neighborhoods.

As other reviews have mentioned, they just finished a gut renovating following 4-5 years of the hotel being closed. They very successfully executed a theme of dark woods, brasses and marble. Everything about the redesign exudes historic class, but with a modern edge. The rooms have "smart" lighting controlled from keypads placed throughout the room (e.g., you can turn on the nightlight or a "privacy" light from any controller in the room). The pool is exquisite and the fitness center has a lot of space and equipment. The hotel bar is also terrific.

My only small complaint is their tiered internet. There is free "basic" wifi, but a significant upcharge if you want higher bandwidth for steaming movies or the like. I don't have a problem with this in principal, but the "basic" internet was so slow that simple tasks like checking email or pulling up google maps were often impossible. It seems like this should be an easy fix. Aside from this nit, it truly was a perfect stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CoachZ
Reviewed 6 August 2011

A most enjoyable stay at the Historic Georgia Hotel. This hotel has been totally refurbished to it's former glory!!

My room was very well appointed, beautifully decorated and large. All conveniences are within the room. The bathroom was the highlight with its oval soaking tub!! Another important factor for me; all the windows opened.

The staff were very courteous, efficient and seemed excited to be there.

The hotel is centrally located and across the street from the Vancouver Art Gallery.

I highly recommend this 'Boutique Style' hotel with all it's old world charm.

Room Tip: The Rosewood Georgia Hotel offers various Special packages.
Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Marcella0
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel has the most beautiful old world lobby, when they did the renovation, they preserved all of the old wood, fixtures, everything that was timeless.

Then when you get to your room, you are in the modern age, and everything is beautifully designed and extremely comfortable. The beds and furniture are great, but the bathrooms are the best.

I have stayed at the Four Seasons in Whistler, (which is gorgeous) and this hotel is equal in every measure. I actually liked the rooms in the Georgia better because I really liked the whole warm contemporary design they have.

I only ate one meal there, but it was fantastic. They have "savoury" choices on the breakfast menu, so I tried one, it was their Rib Hash and it was really delicious. Not every kitchen could pull this off, but they did.

I will return for sure

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank AdrianTorontoOntario
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife and I have just returned from our vacation to Vancouver and I just had to review the Hotel Georgia while the memory is still fresh in our minds. Wow! We really did good choosing the Hotel Georgia and will certainly consider staying there the next time we visit. There are so many fine Hotels in downtown Vancouver and we took a chance on Hotel Georgia because of it's proximately & price. I had a symposium to attend at another fine hotel but preferred not to stay in the same hotel for the sake of variety during our stay and Hotel Georgia was a good choice for us. The room was absolutely fabulous. The bathroom was OMG! The staff made us feel welcome upon our arrival and never let up making sure we had everything we needed or wanted. I highly recommend Hotel Georgia to the discerning traveler or anyone who appreciates great accommodations.

Room Tip: The finest bathroom with heated marble floor with his and hers vanities
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trudeau2010
DwightSanford, Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive and lasting impression on you during your stay with us and we greatly appreciate the recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Vancouver.

Dwight Sanford