“Not disappointed at all”
Review of L'Hermitage Hotel

L'Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel thoroughly deserves it's number 1 rating on Trip Advisor for Vancouver. We stayed there for 3 nights in the one bedroom signature suite and it did not disappoint at all. Amazing value for the price!!!! Beautifully fitted out kitchens with quality appliances and fittings, even a washing machine and dryer!!! Fantastic central location within easy walking distance of Gastown, Yaletown, Granville Island and the whole downtown area - nowhere is far to walk from here. I cannot recommend this highly enough, we wondered of the reviews were too good to be true, but honestly it is such a great hotel. We didn't use the swimming pool/spa but it looked lovely. Buffet breakfast was excellent value at about $20 per head plus tax. All of the staff were really friendly and very courteous, and we enjoyed talking to the French concierge who was very helpful. Would not even consider staying anywhere else in Vancouver.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank harryandgeorgesdad

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We were greeted by Keenan who was absolutely amazing. He was friendly, Courteous and even pre-apologized for the construction across the street (though it didn't bother us). Valet service was prompt and easy. The rooms were very spacious, equipped with modern fixtures and high ceilings. We would highly recommend this hotel and are looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Mcnab32
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Surprised my wife with a weekend trip to Vancouver, BC for our 1 year wedding anniversary. She'd never been to Canada before, so I didn't want to skimp on where we stayed. I've had horrible vacations before because the hotel was a dump. L'Hermitage was a bit spendy, but worth every penny. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. And I'd gladly pay more than what we paid for our experience again.

We pulled into the valet parking space on the small street, and the Concierge came running outside to open our car door, grab our suitcase, and escort us inside the building. The two men at the front desk tag teamed our check-in process, one working with the Concierge to make sure the car was valet parked and we had the correct ticket, the other making sure our room was ready. By the team we were handed our room keys and valet slip, another Concierge had taken our suitcase up to our room.

In the haste of all this extraordinary service, I realized I left my energy drink in the car. It wasn't a big deal, but I wanted to run back downstairs to get it. The Concierge refused to let me leave the room, running down himself.

Seriously, he ran all the way down to the garage to get my already opened energy drink like it was no big deal. That blew me away.

We never once passed an employee in the hallway or lobby without them stopping and saying hello while asking how our day has been. It seems simple enough, but I've stayed in many establishments that treat customer service as a chore. The service here was just incredible, and we'll be back for that alone.

The room was very large (we booked a boutique suite) and comfortable. L'Hermitage was close proximity to a ton of shopping and great restaurants, as well. My wife is 6 months pregnant and had no trouble walking to 5 different types of restaurant in the 2 days we were there (Italian, Irish Pub, Seafood/Steak, French, Diner/American). That's how close everything was.

I booked this room based on the previous reviews on this site, so I felt it necessary to come back, sign up, and leave a glowing review of my own. The room isn't going to be $50 a night. If price is the only thing you're worried about, L'Hermitage isn't for you. We got our room for $175 a night, and I would have paid more. Loved it, my wife loved it, and we'll 100% be back. Cannot recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Corner suites have a large balcony, ask for one.
2  Thank Kyle R
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is one of the best botique hotels I've come across. If you can, get a suite. It's a huge space, nice living room, TV, fireplace for starters. And then there is a lovely dining room table, tasteful chairs and wet bar. There's a lot of room to hang clothes. They have a safe i the room. The bathroom is massive and I especially liked the thoughtful touch of the bathtub with a hand held sprinkler that you can wash your hair and not put your head under the faucet. That's a special touch. I like my hotels QUIET. And this one certainly is. L'Hermitage is in downtown Vancouver and a major shopping center is only two blocks away. If you are on foot, you'll have to grab a taxi to get to Stanley Park (always worth going too). Granville Island which is a couple of miles away by taxi, is also a worthy place to go.

Weather in Vancouver, because it's on the Pacific Ocean, is always willful but pack rain gear and sun gear and layers if you're in the fall-winter season as we are on this trip.
The service at L'Hermitage is top of the line. The people behind the desk CARE about you. It is SINCERE. Not something they have to say. I find in upscale hotels, you get highly intelligent, caring people who love being in the service industry. It is a calling and those who have that calling are wonderful to be around. They either make or break a hotel by their attitude and the folks who work at L'Hermitage are the best.

L'Hermitage sits right in downtown Vancouver. It's only a 20 minute taxi ride from the Vancouver International Airport.

This is a huge hotel and they have a lot of amenities such as a lovely library where you can sit quietly and read. In their breakfast dining room on the 5th floor,t hey offer you three kinds of newspapers and you get pampered with excellent, individually brewed coffee and a breakfast buffet feast that will please everyone. If you want eggs, they have them. But there is so much more, such as fresh fruit, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew melon plus hand squeezed orange juice. They have a tea/coffee lounge right next to the dining room with comfortable chairs and couches. A young woman will take your order and bring out your coffee or tea on a silver tray, fine china and you feel like you're royalty.

The staff at L'Hermitage is there to serve you. The doorman, when we walked in the first time, opened the door for us and offered to take the backpacks we had on our backs. I guess I gave him a surprised look at the offer because no one, anywhere, has asked us that :-). But it was a thoughtful touch. When our room wasn't ready (we were 2 hours early from the check-in at 4pm) we waiting in their coffee/tea lounge on the 5th floor, read the newspapers and came down from our 3 hour flight. Right at 4pm, one of the staff came up with our card, told us how everything worked, and that our luggage had already been taken up to our suite. Nice.

There's layers of security to L'Hermitage that I appreciate. You must put your room key into the elevator, pull it out and then press the floor you want to go to. In today's word, Vancouver in my book, is one of the safest, but the hotel has security in mind and I'm not opposed to that measure at all.

No matter what you need, you just ask the staff and they make it happen. We are up here for a photographic jaunt with Nature Connections, run by Murray and Debbie Shields, out of Toronto, Canada. And so they had booked rooms for the twelve of us at L'Hermitage. We arrived a day early and paid for our own room. To show you how nice and customer oriented they are? The staff called us later that evening to tell us that we could stay in the suite for the next two nights and there were would be no extra charge for us. They were, when we first arrived, going to move us at noon the next day to the hotel rooms booked by Nature Connections. But, they decided to let us stay (the other rooms were not suits, but what I would term regular hotel room size), so that was a very thoughtful decision they made on our behalf. I've rarely found this consideration at any hotel in the world, no matter how many stars it had behind its name.

The staff here at L'Hermitage is obviously empowered to make decisions on the fly for their guests. And as I said before, these folks love being in the service business and are looking for ways to not only make your stay stress free, but something unique and positive to remember.

No one at this hotel knows that I'm a senior contributor to Trip Advisor, nor do they know I'm a NY Times Best Selling author. To them, I'm simply a guest to their hotel.

If you are coming to Vancouver, I highly recommend this hotel. And although they do not have a full time restaurant at the hotel, right across the street and just about every block around this hotel, there are fine restaurants.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask this can-do staff for anything you might need. If they can make it happe...
3  Thank Lindsay M
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stopped for 1 night prior to flying home next day. We arrived early but room was made available and we were given upgrade to king size bedroom. Excellent room, friendly staff and good faciltiies. Great quality for a reasonable price.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great location, great property, great service. Highly ranked for reason and will not disappoint during a stay. Staff are friendly and knowledgable. Definitely has a bit of a high end feel to it, but comfortable at the same time. Will return to stay again. Great balcony but Vancouver weather did not cooperate to enjoy it!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed at the L'Hermitage in Vancouver for 3 night recently. I first checked it out on tripadvisor and it had a great rap. It certainly lived up to its reputation as being excellent. In fact I had to return to Vancouver a week later and booked in again and received an upgrade. Very nice apartment style accommodation. The rooms are spacious and stylish. The location is perfect, near the train station and everything is close by - within walking or bike ride distance. The staff were friendly and efficient.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business