“Exactly how hotels should be!”
Review of L'Hermitage Hotel

L'Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
New York City, New York
“Exactly how hotels should be!”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful three-night stay at L'Hermitage.

The room was fabulous - spacious, well-furnished and with an extremely comfortable bed. The gym, steam room, pool and jacuzzi were all well-maintained and a great place to unwind after a long day sightseeing. Delicious breakfast buffet and valet parking was included in our package, making this an exceptionally pleasant start to our North American holiday.

L'Hermitage is centrally-located close to Gastown and Yaletown restaurants, downtown shopping and Granville Island.

The construction noise was noticeable during the day however this wasn't a problem for us as we were out and about during business hours. The rooms are well-insulated so it certainly wasn't unbearable.

Staff were very welcoming and friendly, but not overbearing.

Highly recommended - if only other hotels would follow their lead in offering such great amenities and service at a fair price.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 27 December 2013

TripAdvisor reviews have never let me down before. They have always told me exactly what I should be expecting when I check into a hotel. Before arriving at this hotel, I expected it to be of the same caliber as a Four Seasons hotel. Yes, I understood that it is a four-star hotel and not a five-star, but based on the reviews, it sounded as if L'Hermitage could be Vancouver's hidden gem. However, this was only partially the case.

I'll start out on a positive note, because this hotel deserves credit where credit is due.

Pros:

•Excellent service. A warm welcome upon arrival, prompt response times, accommodating. Overall very, very impressed with the service.
• Housekeeping. Very clean; very friendly housekeeping staff.

Cons:

•Warnings. There is a very large construction site across the street, and I was not informed of this when I booked my room several months ago. We requested a one-bedroom, two-bathroom suite, but were not only not told that this particular type of room only faced construction, we were not informed of construction at all. Upon arrival, the man at the front desk said that they have nothing to hide and gave us our warning then--when we were checking in! I guess that they do indeed have something to hide...
•Views. No views whatsoever, which is disappointing in a city like Vancouver.
•Rooms. The one-bedroom suite had a giant kitchen and virtually no living space--something else that we were not warned about. What is the purpose of such a large, full-sized kitchen in a hotel like this? We eventually settled on two rooms instead of the suite, but even these rooms--although relatively spacious, reasonably priced, and clean--were missing that element of panache that was expected based on the other reviews.
•Breakfast. Small buffet of trucked-in, mediocre food. I definitely expected more. Even though breakfast was included in our package, the bill would have come out to $60, which is $20 per person. This breakfast was worth about $5 a person. The waffles were very bad, the fruit tasted funny, and there was almost no selection. It felt a bit like a Best Western buffet unfortunately. The restaurant was closed so maybe I ought to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt with the trucked-in breakfast, for I hope that this is not a usual occurrence for a four-star hotel.

Overall, I do not think that I would stay here again. After driving by the Four Seasons Hotel and the Georgia Hotel, I think that I would stay at either of these instead. They are both in better locations, have views, and have an element of luxury that the L'Hermitage lacks. In fact, we decided to leave this hotel one night early in order to get to our next destination, Seattle, faster, in order to stay at the Four Seasons Hotel there, for we did not particularly want to spend another night in this lackluster hotel. I didn't realize that there was such a discrepancy between four and five star hotels--lesson learned.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SarahandSuch
JM-Tanguy, General Manager at L'Hermitage Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear SarahandSuch,

I wish to thank you for choosing L’Hermitage Hotel on your last visit and to let you know how much we appreciated your business. I was delighted to learn that you found the hotel very clean and our team to be pleasant and extremely professional. I am sorry to hear that your enjoyment of the property did not live up to your expectations. Please allow me to clarify some of your very important comments and observations.

As previously mentioned on this channel, at L’Hermitage Hotel, we are very proud of our ranking on Trip Advisor. L’Hermitage Hotel is a small 4-star luxury Boutique hotel that offers its own unique experience with an attention to detail and personalized service. I do recommend all future guests of L’Hermitage Hotel to spend a few minutes on our website before making a decision. You will see an honest description and representation of the hotel and the services we provide. The website goes into details to describe the authentic and consistent representation of the property, the dimensions of all our rooms and suites, the sense of luxury and sophisticated comfort the hotel has to offer. We work extremely hard to clarify what travelers might expect when staying with us. Our top priority is to ensure our guests enjoy a truly great travel experience, and I can only say that we are truly sorry if somehow you expected something that was not articulated in the promotion of the hotel. Staying in a boutique hotel or in one of the chain hotels that you mentioned in your review is a personal choice. I just wish we could have been your first choice hotel.

Your enjoyment of the property was interrupted by a construction project that we did not inform you about in advance. I understand your disappointment and for this, I wish to sincerely apologize. As mentioned many times on this channel, one of the streets the project fronts, Richards Street, is directly across from L’Hermitage Hotel. Richards Street is a significant thoroughfare in downtown Vancouver consisting of 3 lanes for vehicular traffic; one bicycle lane; two sidewalks and a small boulevard lined with trees – it is approximately 15 metres wide. On this side of the construction site there were two parkades – both are now totally demolished. The construction work is erratic in nature, and some days it can be noisy at time when other days is considered as regular Downtown traffic noise. Demolition is now over; the project is its second phase and the lesser obtrusive construction has now begun. Guest feedback suggests that many of our guests are fortunately not disturbed by the construction noise anymore. With our convenient downtown Vancouver location, we do recommend to all our Guests keep windows closed to ensure minimal urban and city noises enter the room.

The construction has been mentioned on our Trip Advisor reviews for the past year and confirmed by the hotel in response to such reviews. On regular occasion, we have also made note regarding the construction and noise on the largest social media sites in the world, Facebook and Twitter. Last but not least, I assure you that our well-trained Guest Service Associates do mention the construction at any given opportunity and at check-in to every guest who arrives on property.
While we are very open about the project and make every effort to inform all our future guests about the construction site, it may sometimes be challenging to the hotel to contact all our guests especially when bookings are not made directly with the hotel but by third party online bookings (Expedia, etc…) where guest contact information are limited. Once again, I apologize about this unfortunate situation.

Regarding your observation about the location of the property, it is correct that L’Hermitage Hotel is located on the 5th, 6th and 7th floors only of a low-rise building in downtown Vancouver. The views from our hotel rooms and suites are limited to low-level street and city views. Please kindly note that all information such as the location of the hotel is described into detail on the hotel website.

Our breakfast buffet features Free-Range organic scrambled eggs from a local farm; fresh BC smoked salmon; organic Artisan granola, daily baked “croissants”, complimentary choice of cappuccino or latte and so many other wonderful fresh items. I am confident that what you received is exactly what was advertized. Over the years, our breakfast buffet has been tremendously well received and enjoyed by the majority of our guests. Have we been made aware of your frustration during your stay, we would have been happy to have arranged an alternative option either onsite or from a wide range of the most coveted breakfast venues in Vancouver; many of which could have been enjoyed in a nearby restaurant including “Yew Restaurant” at the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver. I wish to apologize once again, if your enjoyment of the breakfast and the property in general was less than satisfactory.

I would be delighted to speak with you further regarding your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me at your earliest convenience at jmtanguy@lhermitagevancouver.com.

Jean-Michel Tanguy
L’Hermitage Hotel Vancouver
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed in a studio apartment for 6 nights and thought this was one of the nicest hotels we've stayed in anywhere. We had a fully equipped kitchen including gas stove top and oven, microwave, full-size SubZero fridge, Bosch dishwasher, Nespresso machine, toaster, blender, dishes and cutlery for 4 people; even place mats and white cloth napkins. Also a washer and dryer in our suite, great after having been on the road for 10 days. There's an IGA grocery store a half-block away and a liquor store (open late) around the corner. (Grocery stores in B.C. do not sell alcohol.) Also a strip of interesting ethnic fast-food places almost next door, not to mention Robson Street shopping. The Sky Train is about a 5-minute walk away, the harborfront is nearby; in short, it's in a great location. The only failings are the construction, which at least is temporary, and the overly deferential attitude of the staff, which I suspect emanates from the overly deferential manager. (Housekeeping didn't even take the tip we left each day; has the manager told them not to???) I'd prefer to feel I'm making real contact with the staff, not just with the persona they've been directed to display. But all in all, I would definitely stay here again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was our second time to Vancouver but first stay at L'Hermitage. You cannot fault the staff in this hotel. They are all superb -from front desk ,concierge,doorman and room maid. Incredibley helpful, polite and obliging. We were upgraded to a studio apartment which was perfect for our family of 4.The kitchen had everthing we needed for fixing our own breakfast which we prefer to do. Fantastic supermarket around the corner to get whatever you need.Very close to all the fabulous shopping streets. The pool was heated enough to swim comfortabley in the middle of winter & the spa & gyme all very appealing and clean. Would definitely stay again .

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the road as major construction going on across the road and quite noisy be...