“Lovely comfortable stay”

Ranked #1 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
New Zealand
“Lovely comfortable stay”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Very friendly staff with knowledge of local attractions. Our room was very comfortable. As tea drinkers we would have preferred a hot water jug than the coffee perc. The air conditioning unit in the passage was rather noisy but didn't worry us once asleep. Wonderful comfortable bed. The breafast was pricey for what it was but the service was excellent. I liked the fact we could open the windows for fresh air. TV and Internet were great.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We stayed here at the beginning of our holiday for 4 nights and it was a fabulous start to the hotel.

After a stressful journey we arrived to be told that our room was ready early and that we had been upgraded which was very welcome!

Our room was amazing - huge bed, lovely bathroom, sitting area, fab shower! The gym was also great and the heated roof top pool was very relaxing.

The staff, as with almost everyone we met in British Columbia, could not do enough to help and were polite and friendly all of the time. We were particularly grateful that they allowed us to leave some luggage with them after we had checked out as we were travelling to Whilstler for one night and did not want to have to take all of our stuff with us.

Also, good location from which to walk to all the parts of Vancouver that you would want to explore.

New York
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My fiance and I found a last minute deal for L'Hermitage and based on the location, previous reviews and price decided to stay for a couple of nights. It's a great building with a very friendly staff (with the exception of the manager). The studio we stayed in was great; with a huge bathroom, balcony, WiFi etc. We had rented a car in Seattle and drove up so we paid $25 a day for valet parking below the hotel. The day we checked out we called down to have our car brought out. We checked out, waited outside for a 5 minutes and then went back in to see what was taking so long. Apparently there was a break in with our rental. The manager started rambling how they can't control the parking because a third party manages the garage, there are drug addicts who break into the lots of cars, when it's happened before people left expensive items in plain sight..basically he listed every possible excuse....all I wanted to do was to see my car.

He takes me down to the garage which turns out to be very well lit and gated. Turns out my little Nissan Versa was absolutely fine but a Lexus and an SUV both had their driver side windows smashed in. They confused my economy rental with a luxury sedan because they were both white. The hotel was nice enough to refund our parking for the trouble and we were on our way.

My concerns:
1. It may have been a while but this has clearly happened before, adding a surveillance camera or two could help deter this type of petty theft. They currently do 3 walk-throughs of the garage during the day/night but apparently it's not enough.
2. How dismissive the manager was of what happened. They had comp'd our stay and started listing off all theses excuses of how there was nothing they could do to prevent this before I had actually seen my car.
3. We didn't check out very early so had this actually been my car, when was someone going to tell us. We had already called down for the car, checked out, were waiting patiently outside and then had to go back in before anyone said anything.

Thankfully it wasn't my car but that was a bad way to end off an otherwise great time in a beautiful city and in a great hotel.

I do highly recommend the L'Hermitage for the rooms and amenities but please be careful with your cars if you do decide to stay there.

1 Thank shauby
GlennEleiter, General Manager at L'Hermitage Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Dear TripAdvisor Reviewers,

The security issues referred to in this review occured within the first months of the hotel grand opening. These issues have since been resolved by new management at the property. Security issues undertaken include but are not limited to 1) Elevator Key Card required to access hotel floors 2) Security patrols of Parking facilities 3) 24-hour recorded camera surveillance 4) All visitors requires to sign in with Concierge 4) Overall more caring and concerned management of L'Hermitage Hotel.

For further information, please contact the hotel directly.

Glenn Eleiter
L'Hermitage Hotel
vancouver
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Poor rating only for Noisy air conditioner compressor, Great hotel great location great staff, very noisy air conditioner in room 663, great hotel to stay at in the winter when its not needed.

3 Thank di2kids
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 11 April 2009

What I enjoyed most about my stay was the bathtub - it was big enough to swim in almost! I stayed in a Studio King and it was quite roomy for one person. The windows opened, which was fantastic and the bed was very comfortable. I also appreciated the valet parking, although I never saw where the car was parked or who exactly was the valet attendant.

What I found disappointing was the lady who was working the front desk in the evening. Compared to the two ladies who checked me in earlier in the afternoon, this employee I felt could use some help with customer service.

First, I inquired about a good place to eat and she suggested a place about 7 blocks away. When I wondered about needing reservations she said she'd call over and find out what their wait time was and then ring my room. I never heard anything from her so I made arrangements to go somewhere else for dinner. (Griffins at the Fairmont Hotel was excellent!)

Secondly, when I came back to the desk to advise them my schedule had changed and I wouldn't be staying for as long as I had anticipated, she ignored me for well over 5 minutes as she played with the dog who belonged to either residents or guests booked at the hotel. Working in tourism myself, a common courtesy would have been to acknowledge another guest and let them know you'll be with them in a moment. It doesn't take much.

I was also disappointed that there was no doorman or bell hop, no assistance with luggage and the internet cable in the room was by the bed. Now maybe you could move the furniture and unplug the device and crawl under the desk to reinstall it, where it should have been, but after a long day of meetings, I shouldn't have to crawl around behind furniture to get an internet connection!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Littleminxy
Seattle wa
Reviewed 22 March 2009

So my boyfriend and I were looking to stay in a nice hotel in Vancouver for a night. Something under $150 with a hot tub and pool, close to Gastown, Amsterdam cafe etc. and close to Robson so I could shop! L'Hermitage Hotel was perfect for this.

I knew that no matter what us driving would add an extra $25 to the hotel tab because there is absolutely no parking in Vancouver. It was worth it though because we didn't need the car and the pool and hot tub made up for it. We also had breakfast at the hotel- which I like most Americans, assumed would be complimentary. I was wrong and it was an additional $30. This was OK too though. The food was great and we got to eat alone early in the morning.

.Everyone was really nice and the hotel was really clean. The bathroom was big in our studio. They're still working out some kinks as it is a new hotel. (There was no On Demand or anything to buy movies off of the tv, which was fine).

Honestly the whole trip was great. There is a really good bar/restaurant to check out across the street. I would do breakfast again, but maybe once if it was a longer trip, just to save money. We're already planning on next years trip!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Schwarzwald
Reviewed 20 March 2009

* absolutely recommendable
* amazing accomodation
* in good condition
* not to big
* luxurious, modern, stylish
* great location, you can walk by foot to any of Vancouver's attractions
* really friendly staff
* good room service
* very clean everywhere
* nice equipment / furniture
* sizeable room with big bathroom
* comfortable interior
* fantastic for a stay to explore Vancouver or to have a great hotel on a short trip
* perfect for couples