“Unpretentious luxury, extreme comfort and friendliness”
Review of L'Hermitage Hotel

L'Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Southbury, Connecticut
“Unpretentious luxury, extreme comfort and friendliness”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending two nights at L'Hermitage. Our room was a one bedroom boutique suite facing the street. The room was immaculate and tastefully decorated with high end treatments. The living area was a comfortable size, had sufficient space and included a fireplace and small wet bar area including a refrigerator. The bathroom was quite large with double sinks (marble), a separate water closet and glassed in shower. While the bedroom was small, it was adequate for a king size bed and provided a cozy and romantic sleeping area. Glass doors off the bedroom led to a balcony overlooking the street and included a small table and chairs. Even though the room faced the street, noise was not an issue. Excellent, high quality bathrobes were provided and the bed linens were a comfortable high thread count. Quite luxurious.

The front desk staff and attendants were welcoming, friendly and very helpful with restaurant recommendations and local attractions. While we did not travel with pets, the hotel is extremely pet friendly and have a resident dog Hippo who sleeps quietly in the corner of the lobby and loves attention from guests. Hippo has his own calling card and title of Manager of Canine Services....a cute touch.

The location is excellent and is in easy walking distance to shops, restaurants and bars.

We had a car and parking is an additional charge but the valet service to retrieve the car was fast and friendly...worth the price as parking in Vancouver is a problem.

If you are looking for a smaller venue of relaxed luxury and high quality service with a personal touch this hotel is for you. We loved it and would welcome the opportunity to visit again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Reservations for 6 nights. Lovely hotel. Attentive staff. Asked for a quiet room - the 5am (unasked-for) wake-up was trucks in back of the building, backup signals blaring, tailgates crashing. I was told by the hotel desk at 5am that the hotel had complained to the city before about the garbage collection noise early each morning.
All I wanted was a nice, quiet room. The hotel could have put me on the other side of the building, away from the noise they new was going to occur. Instead, I was given a room that was blasted by the vehicle noise for over an hour that morning.
I made arrangements around 7am to move to another hotel. At 8:30, when I went to check out I was then offered a change of rooms, even an upgrade if I would stay.
Thanks but no thanks. The quiet room was mandatory, not optional. The hotel I moved to, not as nice esthetically, but quiet.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank Saxify
New Quay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The Hotel is centrally located in downtown Vancouver, and is only a couple of blocks from the underground, which gives easy access to the airport. It is amongst the very best hotels that either my wife or I have stayed in - the ambience, the friendliness/helpfulness of the staff, the facilities - are all top notch. We were upgraded to a suite on our arrival, at no extra cost. The suite was exceptionally well appointed and very clean. We hadn't intended having breakfast in the Hotel, tried it the first morning, out of convenience, it was so good we went there every morning! Can't be recommended too highly.

Carmel, California
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I checked into L'Hermitage for one night only, but it was a great night! Check-in was smooth, seamless and courteous. Lots of smiles from the staff - it seems like they really enjoy working there - a good sign. My room was modern and beautifully decorated with a separate living room and marble bathroom with a great bathtub. Since I only had a very short time, I relied on Raymond, the concierge, to recommend an afternoon walk and that night's dining. Raymond was an absolute delight and set up the perfect day and evening for me! The hotel is currently undergoing construction, which I could hear but wasn't an issue, as I didn't have the luxury of sleeping in the next day. I slept like a baby after scarfing down the truffles left on my pillow. My only concern (and it is minor) relates to the towels and bathrobe. They were a little scratchy. This only stood out because everything else was so top-notch. I didn't try the breakfast, unfortunately, as I over-slept a little. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again nor to recommend to friends and colleagues. A great find!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
GlennEleiter, General Manager at L'Hermitage Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
Dear Caytraveller123,

Thank you so very much for your comments and feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I have already passed along to Raymond that he really made your short trip to our beautiful City that much more enjoyable!
Construcion of our new Italian restaurant, Q4 'al Centro', is nearly complete. Construction noise over the next few weeks should be minimal while the final fit-out takes place. Grand Opening is scheduled for Friday, December 10th.
We will be sure to place a few 'extra' truffles on your pillow the next time you are our Guest! Thank you once again,

Glenn Eleiter
L'Hermitage Hotel Vancover
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We wanted to stay downtown because we were going to Hockey Game. Normally stay at the Wedgewood but we thought we would give L'Hermitage a try!! Glad we did. We had booked a Boutique suite and got upgraded to a Signature suite!! Sub zero fridge fully stocked kitchen with granite counters and bar stools. Had friends over for drinks and appetizers before the game and after, our little humble abode away from home!. Had a fabulous breakfast in L'Orangerie. We will come down for 2 nights next time!! Loved the dog concierge "Hippo" he loves to sleep on the desk as likes being same level as humans not on the floor!!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Nice hotel in heart of city....clean, comfortable...rooms good but not great...neighborhood O.K....friendly, helpful staff...buffet breakfast available for additional charge (we paid $15 each): eggs, waffles, sausage, etc....computer available...overall nice place, decent value for price, but not particularly great.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This review is hard to write. To compare this hotel to any other I’ve stayed at would be unfair. You need to understand, this hotel is far and away something very special and unique. For starters, this is actually a condominium property with a segment of the building dedicated for this hotel. Staff is very friendly and more than happy to assist with any question you might have. An example, when I checked in my room wasn’t ready so I was shown to a cool lounge area upstairs (half of which doubles as their restaurant). The one bedroom suite is just that, a huge one bedroom condo with high end touches throughout. The deep soaking tub was a real bonus. As for price, I’m blown away it’s not much more. I’d expect this to go for $400-500/night, it’s really that good.

As for location, it’s hard to find something better than this. You’re a few blocks away from the main downtown area and still a few blocks away from the waterfront and Yaletown. The subway system (called the Skytrain) is only two blocks away and I’d highly recommend it coming from/to the airport (same speed as a taxi and way cheaper). Side recommendation, if you like sushi, walk 10 blocks south to Kaide Sushi and be blown away.

Other reviews were correct that there is no dedicated restaurant for room service but they are beginning construction on a new restaurant. My only wish (mind you this is a stretch) is they had a higher quality shower curtain and rod. The rest of the room was so high end that the rod and curtain looked so cheap in comparison. Overall, this is one property that must be at the top of your list if you ever visit Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo