“Elegant and classy with wonderful staff”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Elegant and classy with wonderful staff”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We stayed here for a one day stop-over in Vancouver on the way back from Whistler. The decor is modern, elegant and stylish, as one would expect, and the service equally stylish and professional. Our room was superb, a large twin, roomy, beautifully decorated and appointed, with a fabulous bathroom. The beds were amazingly comfortable. For the price, I would describe it as good value for money.
We had a serious health issue in the middle of the night (nothing to do with the hotel) and they assisted us in the most caring manner, ensuring throughout that we had everything we needed, and that we were not troubled with extending bookings, late check outs etc., making us feel we were truly in the hands of professionals. Sometimes when things go wrong, you find out how good people really are and the staff at the Shangri-La did not fail us.
A top-class and beautiful hotel with great staff at a sensible price - can one ask for more?

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Roberts Creek, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed here last year with my husband when they were having a $100 dining credit promotion. It was beautiful, everything is luxe luxe luxe, but it is VERY expensive as well. You are checked in in the room itself, which is a little strange but emblematic of the Shangri-La brand.

If you travel often and are looking for something different - this is a fabulous choice. There is nothing quite like the Shangri-La. Just check out the front entrance!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarasingh
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Stayed here for a couple of days pre Xmas and then again for a couple of days after New Years 2011. My wife and I like to do a lot of walking when holidaying in cities and the shangri la was so central it was easy to get back to no matter which direction you chose to go. Add to that Urban Fare a gourmet supermarket just out the back door and you had easy breakfast, lunch or dinner (we had a baby so sometimes this was a great option). Service was always friendly and sincere and the rooms were beautifully furnished. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2011

The service at this hotel is by far the best I have ever experienced. Our room was amazing; dinner at Market was fun, romantic and both our dinner and breakfast were incredible! We went and relaxed by the pool and the gentlemen working made us protein smoothies that were to die for ! I spilt on my white blazer at dinner and they dry cleaned it for me that evening and returned it to my room, that’s service! Overall this beautiful hotel is my fav in Vancouver!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 February 2011

It has been almost a year since my stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, and I am still reveling in the joy of my stay.

The Shangri-La lived up to its reputation as a fine luxurious hotel from the moment my husband and I arrived. There was a hand-written note from the manager welcoming us to the hotel, as well as a bowl of fresh fruits and an arrangement of dendrobium orchids in the room. Every detail was glorious: the way the drapes and lighting could be controlled from computerized panels by the bed, the mirror with built-in LED TV in the bathroom, and the way the hairdryer cord was wrapped concentrically around its handle.

The service was as impeccable as the decor. We ordered room service several times, and not only was the food outstanding and accompanied by a small centerpiece of fresh orchids, but the staff swiftly rearranged the table and the sofa in our room to allow for an ideal dining configuration. Turn-down service provided us with a new bookmark every night. The staff respectfully addressed us by title/name and seemed eager to provide anything else we might have desired, as if it were possible to desire anything more!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Vancouver. It is the finest hotel I have ever experienced. I only wish there were more Shangri-La's in North America.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 February 2011

The ambiance of the Shangri-La is luxurious and tranquil. The professionalism of the staff made us feel welcomed from beginning to end. We have stayed in many hotels all around the world and the Shangri-la has raised the bar for the industry. Our next Shangri-la experience cannot come soon enough!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2011

There is nowhere to escape the heavy perfume piped into every corner of this otherwise beautiful hotel. It's not just that I'm allergic to some scents, and violently allergic to this one. It 's that customers should be informed, and have the right to choose. Though marketed as their 'signature', it's not even natural, but reeks of chemical fakery. A kindly member of cleaning staff showed me the hidden openable window and with the heat/air conditioning shut off, it was tolerable -- provided I didn't mind the freezing cold. To get to meetings, I held my breath and dashed through smelly elevators, hallways and lobbies, then retreated to my room for meals and (chilly) sleep. The beds, linens, amenities, room and bath are lovely. A major high-end hotel should have the courtesy to tell guests in advance about its perfume-permeated environment and give them a choice. Offer it on a particular floor, or in selected rooms. Don't ruin the entire hotel, and don't ruin my entire stay! Public places are now smoke-free; many are also scent-free. This is a wake-up call to management. You charged me a fortune for a room that was a misery and a hazard to my health!

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business