“A perfect weekend stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Antimony, Utah
“A perfect weekend stay”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I've stayed many weeks with Shangri La in the Philippines over the years and have grown accustomed to being treated like there is no one else that matters. From their grand and elegant lobbies and common spaces to their gracious staff our stay in Vancouver was no different. Although quite small and not as grand as Shangri La in Makati City the Vancouver Shangri La is also residences...pretty cool as they tower above the hotel.

The lobby is elegant with crystals and fire and quiet. Elevators whisk you quickly to your floor where warm colors greet you in the hall corridors. The rooms are great spaces with the amenities that you would expect from Shangri La. I love the beds and pillows and the bathrooms are wonderful and modern. Great use of white marble and glass and the heated floors were a real treat and now I want them in my own bathroom.

Thanks for making the stay memorable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad that you had a memorable experience with us. We look forward welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed for two nights to celebrate a special birthday. The room had everything even extra toothbrushes and was gorgeous. We had 2 excellent breakfasts at the hotel's restaurant, Market by Jean Georges, The baked goods were exceptional, especially the croissants. The Spa was superb, but the front desk at the spa could have handled our situation a bit better. They told us to arrive earlier for a sauna/ steam prior to our treatment but we never received one.
The location is close to Robson street and lots of great restaurants, the down side to the location is that Georgia Street has a lot of fast moving traffic and can be a bit noisy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad that you chose to celebrate your birthday at the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver. We apologise if you did not have enough time to use the sauna and steam room facilities. We hope that you celebrate your next special occasion with us.
Reviewed 27 December 2013

A little pretext before hand, this review doesn't focus on their rooms but rather their service and spa:

As someone who's been travelling around the world on business and leisure, I've had the pleasure of visiting spas around the world. (Mostly Four Seasons, Starwood).

So far, the best spa experience I've had was at the Modern Honolulu in Hawaii. But for someone who's been spending most of their life growing in Vancouver, I did not know there was a gem located right here in Downtown.

As part of Shangri-La's Golden Circle loyalty program, I managed to score myself a USD 100 voucher for a spa treatment at the CHI. I booked a 70 minute Aroma Vitality and was assigned to therapist Hannah.

The voucher required me to redeem it at the business centre of Shangri-La, front desk employees were polite, helpful, and promptly processed the redemption for me. Upon entering the spa, I was wondering why I wasn't required to change and/or shower before hand - Your treatment room is small private room with a steam, changing, and bathroom!

Despite it being a massage treatment, expect the whole spa process to be more than 70 minutes, as it includes a foot message/wash at the beginning, and then a 10 minute steam room follows. Hannah, the therapist, was extremely professional, polite and massage was well done. My treatment after the voucher was around 70CAD (with a 100 USD voucher, Original price without tip is $170~CAD) but I added in $100 as tip.

I'll be revisiting this location in about two months, while booking with the same therapist if possible.

Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Thank you very much. It is very heartwarming to learn that you found your "gem" in Vancouver. We will pass on your lovely comments to Hannah, I am sure that she will appreciate it. We look forward to see you on your next treatment.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2013

There was a long wait for check in, we had to wait 3 PM to have access to a room. The coffee machine was not working, the mirror in the bathroom had a burnt light, the front desk was hectic....

I had heard a lot of good things about Shangri-la but this property did not measure up.

We will not go back, not worth the high rate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank camembert33
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for your honest opinion. We apologise that there was a long wait during check-in, your room was not ready until 3pm, coffee machine inside the room was not working and the bathroom mirror had a burnt light.
It is disheartening to know that your experience with us was less than favourable. Please allow me to apologise on behalf of our team for the inconvenience you endured, and assure you that this situation is not indicative of the standards we want to be known for, or strive to provide.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

"The Suite" for just over $400 a night (before tax) is completely outdated and overpriced, complete with carpet, wallpaper and miniature furniture. Pretty sure the TV was 42" (thats small for a room this price). I would recommend doing more research if you consider staying here. There are much better properties for comparable or lower prices with better views in Vancouver. The one highlight of the stay was the quality of the king size bed, we did have a great sleep at least. The pool and hot tub was also below par, the pool is a very small outdoor pool (only) and the hot tub is comparable to a best western advertising "hot tub". This was our first stay at a Shangri-La Hotel, and with all of the hype around this place I was extremely disappointed. I would not recommend this property if your used to Luxury.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback. It is dishearten to learn that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Please note that I have addressed your points with the relevant department heads to ensure that experiences such as these are prevented in the future.
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The hot water does not work during peak shower hours (morning time before checkout). It sputters between spraying you with ice cold water and boiling hot water every few seconds.

Warning, there are no views, don't be fooled by the photos of how tall the building is. The hotel is only the first 15 floors (everything above that is condos), and surrounding the hotel are office buildings all much taller than 15 floors which look right into your room (I was on the 14th floor)

Paying extra for the included brunch is a ripoff. To me it just seems like a ploy for them to get you to pay extra, and compel you to check out of your room early, since the brunch ends before you have to check out of your room. If they really wanted to provide a great service, they would offer a meal after you check out of your room, which is when you're changed and ready for the day.

Also, as far as I could tell, there is only 1 person who works at the front desk, so be prepared for long waits if you need to checkin, checkout, or have any questions or comments. When I checked out, they never asked me how my stay was, so I forgot to mention the lack of hot water. 30 seconds later I remembered and turned around to tell them, but the line was too long and I didn't want to wait again. I decided to wait until they sent me an e-mail survey, however, the e-mail survey didn't even provide me a way to directly content the hotel, instead it just linked to this TripAdvisor website, which is why I'm leaving my comments here.

For the price, I strongly recommend staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim which is far superior in room quality, or saving a few bucks and staying at the Pan Pacific which has better service and similar decor and much much better views.

Room Tip: The best tip for getting a good room, is to not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank A B
Thank you for your feedback. We truly apologise that you had problems with the hot water during your stay with us and that you had to wait for along time during your check-out.
Guest feedback is the only true way for us to measure the effectiveness of our service delivery and unfortunately in this case, it has come at your expense as well as a poor way for you to remember us by. Please note I have addressed your points with the relevant department heads and taken measures to ensure that experiences such as these are prevented in the future.
As we would hope to see you return to the Shangri-La so we may be given an opportunity to rectify the situation you experienced, please feel free to contact me on your next visit in Vancouver.
Fort Langley, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Hotel, Rooms, Service and Spa were all excellent. In fact my wife said the massage and spa experience was the best she's ever had. The beds were top quality (Had a great sleep) and the breakfast at MARKET was excellent as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, we are humbled by your kind words about our staff. We are glad that you wife enjoyed her massage at Chi, The Spa. I will certainly pass along this message to the team.