“Excellent and Luxurious”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Even though we only stayed one day, we enjoyed ever minute. The room was very spacious with asian inspired decor which offered a very relaxing environment. All the public spaces were simple yet welcoming and comfortable. And of course the staff were all professional and very helpful. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and do not have any negative comments about this wonderful property in the heart of Vancouver.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear JCW461,
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us, hopefully you can stay longer on your next visit. It is so nice to hear that you find our room very spacious and really like the Asian inspired decors and that our staff were all professional and very helpful. We look forward welcoming you back on your next trip to Vancouver.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have checked out of the Shangri La Vanouver after 23 straight nights there. We had an A+ stay. The staff couldn't have been friendlier, and endeavored to learn most of our groups name---and there were a lot of us----. The rooms are great and the bed---well---it was so good that I just ordered the same one from the hotel to ship to my home--so I would say that is quite an endorsement for sleep comfort.

Just a block away is Joe Forte's Seafood Restaurant, where we ended up quite often (try Happy Hour there, 50% of the appetizer menu and $1 buck an oyster (4 to 6 PM). We were there…a lot. Also check out their roof bar during the good weather days--easy to not even discover if you don't know it's there.

The hotel breakfast was wonderful….(not a buffet, but ala carte), but a good number of choices (a particular favorite for our group was the maple bacon).

The hotel never lets its (very friendly) bartenders over pour drinks by even a quarter ounce, no matter how loyal a customer you are, but there is also a liquor store one block up the street if you feel like a great room party and want to stock up. Oysters at the the hotel bar/restaurant are great, as is their cheeseburger if you want a bit of comfort food.

The concierge would always be able to get us into a nearby restaurant even if the restaurant itself would say they had no tables, so this was very helpful.

And the hotel is only a few blocks down from the water and the port terminal, so its' a nice walk.

Bottom line: It was a great stay and we'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear WorldTravelerAsia,

Thank you so much for taking time in writing this review about our hotel and services. It is to nice to learn that you enjoyed your 23 straight nights at our hotel and that you had an A+ stay the entire time. I will pass on your comments to the team as I am sure that they will be very delighted to learn that we had provided excellent service to you during your stay. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Shangri-la chain has always been my favorite in Asia so I was curious how it would translate to North America. I wasn't disappointed. As always, its the staff that make the experience special. The hotel is very nicely located, well decorated, furnished and maintained. But the staff were superb - check-in/out, concierge, restaurant and room service staff, housekeeping etc etc. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear HJF209,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to learn that our staff had made your experience as special as your other visits to our other Shangri-La properties in Asia. We definitely look forward seeing you back at the Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I recently visited Vancouver on a quick 3 day vacation from Calgary and decided to spend a little and stay at the Shangri La as a treat. I walked into the Shangri la from the street entrance where I was immediately greeted by a friendly concierge representative who directed me downstairs to the check in. Something about the hotel is that it is not "grandeur", but flawlessly executes understated elegance and luxury. Its not about extravagance, but more about making the whole hotel look well put together and relaxing to be in. I was checked in by an extremely helpful and pleasant lady who had notified that we had already been upgraded to a suite. She offered me an upgrade to a larger suite under the penthouse, but we graciously declined.
The room was fantastic, beautifully appointed, amazingly clean, Nespresso coffee in nice Japanese china, marble everything in the large bathroom.
Our unit had a balcony which unfortunately faces right out onto the construction of the trump tower, which was nice to get a quick vantage point of city, however, was far too loud to sit outside on. I understand that the construction across the street is not the hotels fault, but it ended up being a major pian when it started again at 6:30AM the next morning and we were trying to catch up on some much needed rest in the amazing beds. I room not facing the construction would have been greatly appreciated, or at least a warning, so we could adjust appropriately. For what it’s worth, I am not a very sound sensitive sleeper - this was loud!
The second problem revolved around when we came into the hotel later in the evening. As we walked into the check in area of the lobby we were greeted with an unfriendly a "do you need directions?", insinuating that we (young, casually dressed), did not belong at such a hotel.
Small things that really took away from an otherwise excellent hotel. Location is also amazing for the record.

Room Tip: Away from the construction side of the hotel is a must if your going on a weekday.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NeilCanuck

Dear NeilCanuk,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad to learn that you find our hotel very relaxing and that our staff was very pleasant and helpful. I would like to personally apologise for the construction noise endured during you stay with us and if you felt that our lobby staff was very unfriendly. I assure you that this is not what we strive for. We hope that you would still remember the wonderful experience with us and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

...it does come at a cost. For a value traveller, this will probably not meet your criteria but it is an excellent hotel with a wonderful workout facility. I did not rate it as excellent because I was disappointed with how long I had to wait to register with the hotel and discovered that a building is being constructed across the street from my room. Coming from the east, I was planning on going to sleep closer to 7 pm but was kept up for a couple of hours because of this construction.

The front desk staff should have notified me of this at such a high-end hotel.

I've stayed a several higher-end hotels in Vancouver and this is one of the better ones. It's very modern, great room and wonderful workout facitities. They're probably trying to compete with the Four Seasons but I'm not sure if they have everything right, yet.

My firm also hosted an event in one of their meeting rooms. My team found their staff very helpful and the lunch served was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear stinkyrules,

Thank you for taking time in writing this review. I am glad that you had a very favourable experience with us during your recent stay and on your firm's lunch event in one of our meeting rooms. I apologise for the disturbance coming from the construction across the hotel. We hope to see you again at the Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The staffs were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The location is great. The room was spacious & very clean. A special thanks to Jeffrey Victor (service leader) for making our stay a wonderful one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank E N
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear E N,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that Jeffrey Victor made your stay wonderful. We hope to see you again at the Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I LOVE this hotel- It is perfection in action- I recently held a week long event here with IRWA with many opportunities for things to go wrong- EVERYTHING I mean EVERYTHING was executed with absolute perfection. I am very serious. This hotel is truly magnificent heartfelt elegance and luxury in action. I worked with the OUTSTANDING Paul Li and Diane Dillon up in the Exec. Offices- the banquet staff, concierge, housekeeping, valet, dry cleaning-everyone was perfect- Nathan in Market ask for him he is an outstanding server and actually requested him for one of our functions- Eric and Steve up in Banquets, Jui in Concierge, outstanding! This hotel is THE place to stay in Vancouver- I did not get a chance to meet the GM, his name is Kori or Kari, and I KNOW that he must be a great leader because his leadership is reflected throughout the whole hotel- this hotel is way beyond a five star rating! OUTSTANDING!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank D A

Dear D A,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are very humbled by your kind words about our staff and our hotel. I will certainly pass along your message to everybody. We hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to Vancouver.