“Wonderful hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
richmond
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Wonderful hotel! Quiet, serene, luxurious without being gawdy. The room is lovely, the breakfast and service devine, and the location is perfectly located in beautiful downtown Vancouver. Having the Urban Faire grocery store next door for munchies and treats was a bonus. We would definitely recomment this property.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rod62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Shangri-La for a relaxing getaway, and everything was fantastic. Service was excellent and professional but not obtrusive or 'snobby'. The public areas are scented, which was really nice as the scent was very pleasant. The hotel itself is the tallest building in Vancouver, and very architecturally striking. The lobby is classy, and check-in was efficient and professional. Our room was large, furnished asian-style decor, with dark woods, and soft lighting. The bathroom was a great size, not ridiculously huge, but comfortable; all marble, with a separate enclosure for the toilet, and a TV in the bathroom for news while getting ready or having a bath or shower. The bath products were from L'Occitane, and were a very nice touch. All the amenities were provided.

The bed was insanely comfortable, very soft, and they offered a choice of pillows, and a nicely weighted duvet. There was also a 42" flat screen Sony TV and ipod dock, which was a nice touch. At night when we came back to the room, we found our room had been prepared for sleeping, and had a hand-written note and a plate of fresh fruit and bottled water provided for the evening.

We spent the latter part of the evening at the outdoor pool and hot tub - and had the entire area to ourselves. The pool is quite small, so not suitable for many people and not a great destination for kids), but it had nice lighting and fountains, and the hot tub was nice. I noticed the pool area had a lot of tiling missing, and was dirty in some places around the pool edges. Cabanas were also provided for daytime relaxing. Being in a hot tub on the rooftop in downtown Vancouver is a nice way to spend an evening.

Our hotel stay included a $76 ($38/person) breakfast credit in the hotel's restaurant (Market by Jean-Georges). Breakfast was exquisite. I'd heard many great reviews of the French toast, and it did not disappoint! perfectly cooked. My girlfriend had eggs benedict and granola with yogurt, both presented and prepared perfectly. Fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice not to be missed! Service in the restaurant was exceptional, as was the decor and atmosphere.

We were pleased with the entire experience at the Shangri-La - from the moment the building takes your breath away, to the exceptional and unpretentious service, comfortable and well appointed room, and fantastic breakfast. All around, a highly recommended experience.

1 Thank cswebb13
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Every aspect of this hotel, from the people, to the room, to the location was outstanding. We had a perfect experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pepsijunky
San Luis Obispo CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Located on the busiest street in the city with very poor construction, this is a noisy hotel and not the sanctuary you crave. Rooms are obviously newly done but they lack real style and even an executive suite is quite small. Linens and spa are exquisite. Staff is helpful. We tried moving rooms but it was still difficult to sleep, even with ear plugs. We changed to the Loden on our way back thru Vancouver and truly liked the rooms; it was significantly quieter and had a better view.

5 Thank scfphoto
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

The concierge service at this hotel is the finest I have ever encountered!!! I emailed and spoke with Sureena on several occasions prior to the trip. She was extremely helpful and professional. It was such a pleasure to work with her. She arranged for a car/driver to pick up my parents from the train station and to take them on a guided tour of the city. She took care to address my questions about the Vancourver Art Gallery and various restaurants etc. Every detail requested was taken care of including what I wanted supplied in the hotel room, and ensuring that Tammy was available to carefully explain all the details of the room -- everything is automated -- lights, curtains etc. My parents had never seen such luxury -- the bathroom is the same size of a usual hotel room. The services in the hotel and the restaurants are superb. As my father had difficulty walking to the restaurant, Richard, the restaurant manager, and Virginia and David, helped to provide assistance and ensured my parents had a special evening. This is a place where they take care to serve your every need. This is amazing hospitality. The hotel is well located and is sumptious in its design. If you want to have a special experience and pamper yourself -- this is the place to be. They have a fabulous spa in this hotel -- perfect for a romantic holiday.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cohenprof
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

My room was so delightful, that I didn't want to leave it. The room was immaculate, very clean. The bathroom was my favorite, with a huge soaking tub, see thru shower, and a tv in the mirror. Everything in the bathroom felt and looked like white marble from the border around the tub to the tile on the floor. The bed was unbelievable, so comfortable that it made the Hilton and Marriott hotel bed feel like a Motel 6 bed. In general, the whole room was elegant with wood that looked like mahogany. As a single woman, I felt very secure because you have to have a room card to activate the elevator, your room control, and other facilities throughout the hotel. I loved the technology, just push a button and the drapes would open, lights dim to reading, evening, or night, even "do not disturb" under your room number lights up at the push of a button. At most hotels, you can hear everyone in the next room. I didn't hear anyone in the neighboring rooms. Very quiet and nice large room, equal in size to any hotel suite room. This hotel was awesome, and I would suggest it to anybody that wanted to stay in a nice hotel while visiting Vancouver. It's in a excellent location in downtown Vancouver. It's close to the pier for cruise ships visitors, like myself, Robson St., Stanley Park, Amtrak, and restaurants galore. I paid a little over $300 a night on Expedia and got an awesome room at the Shangri-La with an incredible view and breakfast. The service at breakfast was excellent. They had fresh squeezed orange juice! I had the pancakes with real Canadian maple syrup, bacon, and fresh fruit. My favorite special touch was that in my room each day was a complimentary bottle of Whistler water, and a fresh fruit plate (banana, apple, and plum) that had a very special note, with my name hand written on it, that welcomed me to my room, and the Shangri-La. I've stayed at a lot of hotels including the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando, and Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu, and this hotel was more awesome than any hotel that I've ever been blessed to encounter. My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer at the Shangri-La, I even begged for a late check out time, but it wasn't available because another guest was waiting on my room. The business center was even elelgant with big screen Sony computer, with free internet, and 5 print pages. The lady that helped me in the business center was great, and very nice. Even the people that greeted me at the door, and parked my car, bent over backwards to help me find locations in Vancouver. There were people needing to get by me in the parking garage, and the doormen stayed calm, and nicely gave me directions to the Amtrak, and post office. One of the doormen, even programmed my GPS! I guarantee that if you stay at the Shangri-La hotel, you will be pleasantly pleased and impressed with this hotel, and customer service. Every staff member seemed very concern about me having a good time and constantly asked me if I needed anything to enhance my visit. Shangri-La thanks for a wonderful visit in downtown Vancouver. Currently, I'm still dreaming about that huge soaking tub, tv in the mirror, and pancakes with maple syrup! I wish that room 1506 would have fitted into one of my bags. I would have loved to have taken a piece of the Shangri-La home!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank user980401
chicago, illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

During a recent Alaskan Cruise due to mechanical difficulties we were unable to visit Vancouver. So we decided to go on our own. After researching hotels we decided on the Shangri-La. Thank goodness we did!! What exceptional service. Jarren the concierge never and I mean never steared us wrong!! We enjoyed every minute of the 3 days we had, we had great food, drink and hit all the great spots. If he didn't take the time each day to help us out and point us in the right direction it may not have been so rewarding. He went above and beyond. The hotel is just glorious, amenities are superior and the spa also is top notch. If you have the opportunity go, don't pass this one up!!