“Good value in the heart of the city”

St Clair Hotel - Hostel
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Some friends and I were in town for the Portland Timbers/Vancouver Whitecaps soccer match and this hostel was right around the corner from one of our supporters group's rally point (Railway Club), so it was a good fit for us.

Located mere blocks from the Gastown district, it's pretty well located in downtown Vancouver. We took the SkyTrain in from Surrey, and the hostel is two blocks away from the nearest stop. It's also very near to BC Place, where the match was taking place.

We had reserved a 4 person room in advance, but when we arrived due to a snafu we were given two separate rooms at no extra cost, so I ended up with my own private room. It was as sparse as all other hostels I've stayed at, but the bed was much more comfortable than I've experienced in a hostel, and the room was very clean.

In general, there appeared to be a refrigerator on every floor for food storage, along with a microwave, but no proper kitchen, but that was fine with me. One two-stall bathroom per floor, which isn't bad but the toilet areas are a bit cramped. The TV room was nice, but the TV is a bit outdated; granted, I wasn't there to watch TV, but for the short time I did, I was struggling to make out what I was seeing.

This hostel is within walking distance of almost everywhere I wanted to go during my trip, and near to the bus lines if I wanted to go elsewhere. I'll definitely stay there again on my next visit, which should be this coming Labor Day weekend!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David_X19

Reviewed 11 December 2013

arrived at 3 am, had to book some days in advance, so that we couldn't cancel because of a "48 hours-cancelation"-politic.

the pictures look like they were taken 3 years ago - since then everything has decayed...
the bed sheets came with hairs on it! the room looked like as if it had not been cleaned for weeks.

it was a very disturbing experience after a 12 hours over-sea flight....
The first impression of the st. clair's was so bad, that we switched to the HI-Central in the middle of the night (4 pm), which was very good!! so please, pay a little more in another hostel nearby and don't save on the wrong things!

we should have listend to the bad gut feeling when we read about the bed bugs....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J W
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Our group stayed for a week and joked every night about checking out early but we couldn't afford to. The bathroom situation is awful with horrible stinky unclean showers. No sink for washing your hands after using the toilet only hand sanitizer that was EMPTY on two floors for two day! Toilets that blocked frequently leaving a constant fowl smell throughout the hostel. No kitchen facilities worth using. Could not provide keys for all guests staying.
Aiming for nautical charm but made us sea sick. Avoid E Hasting street after the sunsets.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank PannaC13
Reviewed 10 November 2013

In the interests of trying to save money in expensive downtown Vancouver, my husband I planned to stay for a week, but our stay at St Clair did not last that long. We switched to the Howard Johnston on Granville St for only $7 more a night. At that $7 went a very long way towards a much more comfortable stay.

While the staff were friendly and the room was generally cleanish, I never really felt comfortable here. The first night we arrived the showers on our floor were out of order, on Monday they were fixed, then Tuesday they were out of order again. In addition to the fact that we had to hike upstairs to shower, they bathrooms were not cleaned well at all. There is a significant amount of mould in the grouting and on the ceilings of the bathrooms. The toilets also were not cleaned well and the stalls are teeny tiny (but I guess it is a very old building.) To top things off, our room was right at the back of the hotel by the 'kitchen' - essentially a tiny table, a microwave and fridge. This was noisy, and very strong food smells from the microwave crept into our room every night which made for a rather unpleasant experience. We had to move on.

I don't think I'd stay here again. I've stayed as a single backpacker at SameSun on Granville St for cheap, and it was clean, comfortable, and filled with friendly people. As a couple, find yourself a cheap hotel like we did... you won't regret it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 weeks in total throughout fall. First on arrival, staff were extremely helpful and gave us a room on the bottom floor. We went to our room which was a little daunting but only because we hadn't stayed in a hostel before and it could have done with a good clean, however once we laid out our stuff and made it our own it was great.
PROS
-great value for long stay
-great staff who are happy to help
-sink and tv in room
-great location
-powerful hot showers
-working microwave, toaster and kettle
-working washing machine and big tumble dryer
-leaflets on Vancouver and how to get around

CONS
-wifi in our room didn't work
-fridge wasn't on our floor
-odd mouse running about
-noise outside (not hostel fault)
-no kitchen for use
-our sheets weren't washed nor bins emptied

All in all we loved our stay here and would return again straight away. If you are on a budget it is great. Public transport is cheap and runs many times throughout the day plus we found a fantastic Chinese 'big rice bowl' on dunsmuir street and an Italian cafe at the corner of w.pender and Richards street. Definetly recommend :D

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Centrally located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, this quaint almost hidden hostel is the perfect stay for a world traveler. Staff is very helpful and friendly, the rooms are small, but have all the essentials. You can even have your own personal room, where as most hostels are shared rooms. I liked the privacy of my own room, although the washrooms and showers are shared. This was my second stay at St. Clair's and definitely won't be my last! Thanks again for making our stay wonderful! Blessings!

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 weeks while we were looking for an apartment in Vancouver. We were trying to save money and this place was by far the cheapest accommodation we could find in downtown Vancouver. Considering the price, I was very dubious about staying here but decided to give it a go. There are good and bad things about this place. If you have a room at the front (which we did), the traffic makes it impossible to sleep. The sheets in our room were most certainly not fresh and the shower area could do with a good scrub. On a positive note, it is in a great location and is very close to Granville Skytrain Station, there is free WiFi which works well, the staff give you fresh towels upon request, the showers were always hot and there was a laundry room available from 5pm-9pm where you could wash and dry your clothes for just $2. My advice is that if you are relocating to Vancouver, then this place is a great way of keeping the costs down,just don't expect anything other than average.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple