“No sushi for me.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Xi Shi Lounge at Shangri-La Hotel - CLOSED

Xi Shi Lounge at Shangri-La Hotel
Price range: US$29 - US$49
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Thurlow Street
Description: Embracing our Shangri-La heritage with a modern interpretation, Xi Shi is a lounge with distinct personality that expands street-side to embrace the summer.Enchanting cocktail waitresses wearing traditional, hand tailored cheongsams from Shanghai emulate the legendary beauty, Xi Shi, the ancient Chinese Goddess of the Lotus Blossom. The classic bartender, passionate about flavor, mixes creative cocktails to delight the palate.During the week, Xi Shi is an ideal spot to have a casual business meeting or enjoy a relaxed lunch. On the weekends, a traditional afternoon tea set on our famous Blue Willow China is enhanced with classical piano. In the evenings, re-energize and socialize in an intimate setting with interesting live music, innovative evening snacks and inspired cocktails.Open from 11:30am to 1am everyday (Seasonal Patio from 11:30am to 11pm)Hours:11:30am to 5pm - Traditional Afternoon Tea, live classical piano 11:30am to 11:00pm - Inspired food selection and creative cocktails Offering live entertainment 7 days a week - Lobby Level Monday & Tuesdays: 5 to 7pmWednesday: 5 to 7pm & 8 to 12amThursdays: 5 to 7pm & 8:30 to 11:30pmFridays: 5 to 7pm, & 8:30 to 11:30pmSaturdays: 1:30 to 4:30pm & 9pm to 1amSundays: 1:30 to 4:30pmContact us for further information on this evenings entertainers.
Helena, Montana
“No sushi for me.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My brother-in-law and I ate the sushi and both of us got very sick the next day. He later said he felt he detected a slightly off taste. No more sushi for me.

Visited May 2014
Kari K, General Manager at Xi Shi Lounge at Shangri-La Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear GlennaWOO,

Thank you for letting us know that you were not feeling well following your visit to Xi Shi Lounge. I assure you we have a rigorous food safety management system in place which controls all the critical control points of our food & beverage operation relating to food receipt, storage, production, and serving of meals. Please share your contact details with me in a private message as we would like to contact you in order to gather some further information so that we may investigate this matter.

Canada
“Mediocre food and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The lounge is beautiful, but that's the only positive thing at the Xi Shi for our High Tea.
The service was mediocre to poor, let's just say nonattentive. When you have tea, you expect the tea to be hot, not luke warm. The waitress took my teapot and cup and return with a dirty cup, gross! The selection and variety of food was very limited, the scones and mini bagel with lox were the only things we ate. The other sandwiches tasted stale, and the bread was hard as card board. The desserts were grossly sweet and unappealing. Definitely would NOT go back. We would much rather pay a bit more and have High Tea at the Fairmont.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ssfw123
Kari K, General Manager at Xi Shi Lounge at Shangri-La Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear ssfw123,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and sharing your thoughts with us. I sincerely apologise that your tea cup was returned dirty to you and that you found our selection and variety of food limited. I will be sure to follow up with our team to review how we can improve the service which you found to be inattentive. I can assure you we take pride in delivering the same level of service to each and every one of our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future; Our Culinary and Service Teams are dedicated to providing you with an exception dining experience. With that being said, we'd very much like the opportunity to invite you back to Xi Shi so that we can make up for short comings.
Vancouver, Canada
“Mediocre service for Monday afternoon...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great little tea lounge in of course one of the luxury hotels in Vancouver.

I had high tea here with my girlfriend on a Monday afternoon. Our reservation was at 1215 and it was not very busy. There were a 4 other parties at the same time. The food and tea were great, my only comment is to the service. Unfortunately, there was only one server for all of us and so whenever she had to get the food for other tables, there was nobody at the lounge for that period of time, and sometimes it was for an extensive period. I would recommend having at least two servers around at all times. If I'm coming to the Shangri-La, then isn't it expected to receive a high level of service?

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kari K, General Manager at Xi Shi Lounge at Shangri-La Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear iyeh,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts with us. I apologize if we fell short of your expectations in terms of the food quality, the service you received as well as the Manager not resolving the situation on the spot. I can assure you we take pride in delivering a great culinary and service experience to our guests and that the experience you received is far below our standards. Please feel free to send me your contact details in a separate message, as I would like to personally apologize as well as find out some more details from you regarding this unfortunate situation.
Vancouver
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very unorganized - poor english comprehension”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

The service was awful. The server's had a hard time speaking and understanding English. We reserved a table for 4 where 2 of us ordered from the afternoon tea menu, and other two ordered off the lunch menu and for some reason they did not bring the food and afternoon tea tiers at the same time. It was literally, 15 minutes apart. So by the time my sister and I received the afternoon tea items, the other 2 people I was with finished their food and had to watch us eat ours.

My sister has a nut allergy and that was mis-communicated with the wait staff due to the poor English skills. You would think that a high end hotel/restaurant would hire people who could comprehend English better and be smart about bringing food to the table all at once so all the parties had their food, especially with the high cost of things. Even restaurants like Boston Pizza or Red Robbins knows better.

Their tea selection was not that great either. They ran out of some varieties as well for the night before.

Very unorganized.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kari K, General Manager at Xi Shi Lounge at Shangri-La Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Mg86604,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts with us. I apologise if we fell short of your expectations in terms of the miss-communication regarding your sister's nut allergy and the service you received. I can assure you we take pride in delivering a great culinary and service experience to our guests and that the experience you received is far below our standards. Please feel free to send me your contact details in a separate message, as I would like to personally apologise as well as find out some more details from you regarding this unfortunate situation.
“In A League Of Their Own.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I am not one to "suck up" to any establishment in hopes of incurring favourable treatment upon my next visit. It's not my style. So allow me to be blunt.

If you are looking for a place to entertain business clients, visiting relatives or friends, then Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver's Lobby Lounge; Xi Shi, should be short listed as a place to seriously consider.

With elegant decor and a level of service that is unrivalled, this gem is home to the best assortment of loose leaf teas and afternoon treats found anywhere in Vancouver.

The knowledgeable staff are attentive, without being intrusive.
Executing their duties with fluidity and surgical precision. They are without a doubt, the best at what they do.

However, few go to eateries for the service and decor. So let's get down to it; the food.
Simply put, the food is delicious.
For those who are health conscious, the staff will happily accommodate nearly every dietary need, make suggestions or ask the kitchen if uncertain.

Xi Shi Lounge is an ideal spot for any occasion. Whether you are looking to unwind after a long day / week, smooth out the details of a business deal or entertain visiting friends / relatives.