“Extreme italian sandwitches, and an awesome cheese selection”

La Grotta Del Formaggio
Ranked #799 of 3,977 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Cuisines: Deli, Italian
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Reviewed 18 March 2012

As soon as you walk in you realize that you are in one of the most awesome Italian deli's ever. The cheese selection is extreme, but the real gem is just past the cheese's. It is the sandwich zone. There is a six foot long section just past the cheeses and olives shielded by glass that creates some of the best Italian sandwiches I have ever had. They have many kinds of pickled eggplant, peppers, artichoke hearts, you name it, plus the normal lettuce, tomato, onion, and a selection of cured meats, and different bread options. I like the large focaccia myself. Different cheese options include havarti, my favorite. One of the best things though is they don't skimp on the toppings. The wonderful ladies behind the glass understand what a sandwich is all about - loading it with TONS of stuff. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. I have been known to make the long trip from my place in West Van all the way Little Italy (almost an hour on the bus) just to get three of these to go and I'm set for two days of eating. In fact I'm heading over there tomorrow to get some. It's a cramped, wonderful place with excellent staff and stellar deli food.

1  Thank Scott F

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I read about this deli/pannini shop on Friday evening and decided to give it a try on Sunday. It is located on the always energetic and interesting Commercial Drive in Vancouver. We didn't know what to expect so we got in line at a deli counter and waited our turn. There was about 50 choices to make to create your very own custom sub. The quality of ingredients is divine and I don't think I have ever had a better sandwich - ever. A full size pannini is big enough to share for 2 people but we both had a full order and had left overs for lunch the next day. It feels kind of like you are in Italy - it is inviting yet practical...100% perfect for a lunch time adventure.