“Wow....what a place”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Reviewed 11 February 2013

La Grotta Del Formaggio is a little deli (no seating area though) to order a custom made sandwich, that easily could be both a lunch and dinner...made with the finest Italian ingredients I can ever remember seeing in the same place. The staff was friendly, purposeful and competent. They also offer a wide selection of Italian food fixin's. The sandwich though - wow - was really, really good. I can only hope to be able to eat here again on my next Vancouver trip. Nice area for walking too. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 25 November 2012

To be honest I don't really pay that much attention to the other food offerings but the made to order sandwiches are incredible. Most recently I had a few made up in advance for a big celebration (along with sushi, made to order catered food, etc.). Well the sandwiches from La Grotta were a big hit! We grilled them at home, cut them into wedges and served them on a platter. Magnifico.

I have to say that living on The Drive allows me to discover the best of the best in the area. This is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

When in Vancouver it is a must trip for all my Italian cooking needs and while I'm there a sandwich is a must! The owner is always friendly, going back to the World Cup when Italy won and I gave a Italia Champions Flag and got back two Italia t-shirts. Great products, great people, great owners makes a great shopping location!

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Without a doubt, my favourite sandwich in Vancouver. We make it a stop at least once a week. La Grotta is primarily a cheese shop, it sells an incredible selection of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Italian staples. It also makes the most incredible panini sandwich. The perfect balance of meat, cheese, olives,marinated eggplant, and a generous drenching of olive oil and balsamic vinegar on foccacia bread. SO GOOD. You can sit at a small table outside, to watch all that is Commercial Drive, or sandwich in hand go for a stroll. Highly recommended.

2  Thank hulley
Reviewed 18 March 2012

As soon as you walk in you realize that you are in one of the most awesome Italian deli's ever. The cheese selection is extreme, but the real gem is just past the cheese's. It is the sandwich zone. There is a six foot long section just past the cheeses and olives shielded by glass that creates some of the best Italian sandwiches I have ever had. They have many kinds of pickled eggplant, peppers, artichoke hearts, you name it, plus the normal lettuce, tomato, onion, and a selection of cured meats, and different bread options. I like the large focaccia myself. Different cheese options include havarti, my favorite. One of the best things though is they don't skimp on the toppings. The wonderful ladies behind the glass understand what a sandwich is all about - loading it with TONS of stuff. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. I have been known to make the long trip from my place in West Van all the way Little Italy (almost an hour on the bus) just to get three of these to go and I'm set for two days of eating. In fact I'm heading over there tomorrow to get some. It's a cramped, wonderful place with excellent staff and stellar deli food.

1  Thank Scott F