“Good central location”

Ranked #19 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Carrickfergus, N Ireland
“Good central location”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stayed here as part of a group travelling to Rockies. Good location for being near harbour -bit of a walk to the shops though. Room was clean and well maintained. Restaurant attached to hotel was good value for money and great didnt have far to go after a 9 hour flight.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank briers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I experienced the same poor customer service as others noted here. The staff at the front desk need to be trained in proper customer service and etiquette. For a hotel that is trying to compete at a 4 star level it is doing a poor job. Upon notifying the hotel of my late arrival I was not offered assistance with any of my bags, I was told at check in that if I was going to have 3 people in my room that I needed to pay a $25/night 3rd person fee even though this was never mentioned before and the third person was my aunt who was simply visiting. She told the genteleman at the front desk that in that case (keeping in mind that we are exhausted and its 3 am) she would take some bags up and wouldnt be staying. He replied " then I can expect you to come down shortly?" What a first impression! Having spent the days prior to this at the Four Seasons Downtown it is clear that this hotel pales in comparison not to mention the location is not so convenient. Spare yourselves the fake attempt at service and stay at the other 4 star hotels in Downtown Vancouver for sure!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Rania0722
Boston
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Conference at the convention center. TA reviews of this hotel sounded good, so I picked it over the conference-negotiated hotels. I really enjoyed it. I had a corner room with lots of windows and, though the views were mostly of other buildings, I could see a bit of harbour, which was nice. The beds were great and the room ultra quiet (my main concern when traveling). No fridge but plenty of ice. In room recycling. Free good wifi (Many Vancouver hotels charge). About 8 minute walk from the Skytrain station, 5 minutes from the convention center. Grocery store just kitty-corner on Bute St - its upscale and has good food.

Just a block away from the hotel you are in the harborfront park, which has peds out till late at night, so it must be safe. You're about 3/4 mile from Stanley Park, which is wonderful if you want to wander outdoors. Lots of little restaurants of various types within a few blocks.

No fancy lobby here, just utilitarian. Staff were friendly. Restaurant is very good. Used business center to print boarding passes.

I really liked the feel of the hotel and the room - glass, airy, clean, modern.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mojave_ben
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Hello I actually work at the Fairmont in San Francisco. If I’m not mistaken asking for the name of any additional person(s) staying in the room is standard procedure around the world for security and emergency reasons….example: a fire in the hotel they would need a list of names to find you.

My hotel in Vancouver was sold out a few weeks ago when I needed it. I also booked through Hotwire to get a cheaper rate….if you read the fine print or see their commercials it says you get what you get….basically the left over rooms which indicates you get the hotels basic room. I find when I travel to Canada they normally give rooms with two queens or two doubles whereas USA gives King Rooms more often. I really don’t mind paying for the upgrade as it was only $30 a night and I only paid roughly $100 a night for the room. That same room was $230 before taxes (WARNING: Canada has a lot of TAX on everything) if I paid regular price!!!! I saved $100 each night!!! Now that was a deal!

I ended up staying at the Coast Coal Harbor Hotel as well and my experience was the opposite…the service was exceptional…….can’t believe I’m saying this but I think if I was going to rate a hotel on service, the Coast would get 100%. Everyone from the Front desk to Housekeeping were great!

Highly Recommended!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SanFranBaby
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2011

This is a great hotel, easy to get too from the airport being too far down the street from the sky train. The staff was friendly and professional and helped me with all my needs. I would most definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank HAL9011
Reviewed 12 May 2011

There is definitely an overall business feel to the hotel and it's modern but it's not uninviting. Rooms and bathroom were clean and a nice size. The bathroom did not have hair conditioner though.

Staff is good - definitely some friendlier than others but no one was rude. I will say that one of them sent us out to Commercial Drive to a restaurant that was not open (in the sense that it wasn't ready to be open) so I'm not sure why they didn't know that but we ended up at another bar/restaurant out there and saw a different part of Vancouver so it wasn't lost.

Fitness center is a good size and I'm pretty sure 24 hours. The pool is fine but it's outside on the 5th floor and feet away from office windows next door. So it was a little odd when we saw it. Also, even though it was slightly heated, it was way too cold to use so that was unfortunate.

Location is awesome. You're right downtown and near everything and can walk almost everywhere. We were on the 10th floor so our view was of the offices across the street which wasn't great. But we didn't spend much time in the room so it didn't bother us.

Wi-fi was free and fast and they had a business center (which we didn't use). They have complimentary umbrellas for that pesky rainy weather. Parking was $37 overnight which sucked. But all the valets were really great and helpful.

Also, there's a little market type place called Urban Fare to get a reasonably priced breakfast right down Hastings at Bute if you don't want to put out money for the breakfast at the hotel.

I liked it overall!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Like the last reviewer, I booked this hotel through Hotwire. Hotwire lists this as a 4 star property but it's really more like a 3 or a 3.5 star (I've stayed at much nicer Hiltons in the States that were only listed as 3.5 and have found Hotwire has been fibbing their stars lately). We had very friendly service at check-in and were informed that we could upgrade to a larger room for an extra fee but we decided to chance the basic rooms. The key word here is basic! Our room had barely enough room for two double beds, it was one of the smallest rooms I've ever stayed in. The bathroom had nice toiletries but it too was tiny! I didn't mind since we got a great deal but if you're paying full price you might want to consider another property. The hotel is less than a year old so everything is new but the room was on level with a Holiday Inn in terms of comfort and polish. The beds really were tiny and we ended up taking one each which wasn't so nice. A word of advice, there is actually a small amount of free street parking available within a block of this hotel. We were lucky enough to snag a spot (in front of the townhouses one block closer to the water) which saved a lot of money. Parking is also free at the metered spots form 10:00pm to 9:00am so if you plan on being out during the day you might want to consider this as an option as well. Although I wasn't very impressed with the hotel I will say the location is perfect, as already mentioned there is the chance of snagging free parking, Stanley Park is close by, the convention centre is a block away and the main part of downtown is a few blocks to the East as well.

Room Tip: Don't use Hotwire!