“Surprisingly delighted”

Ranked #19 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Ferndale, Washington
“Surprisingly delighted”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We elected to spend the night in downtown Vancouver after watching the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. A favorable previous experience at another Coast Hotel was incentive to try this one at Coal Harbour. I elected to opt for a package deal; e.g., room, valet parking and dinner for two at Preston's Restaurant within the hotel. Everything exceeded our expectations. The location is urban quiet, the room roomy, and all facilities more than satisfactory. The staff are terrific down to and including the parking valets. We will definitely return.

Dining at Prestons was the real surprise. Even the simple 'package deal' menu was excellent. The Okanagon Valley Chardonnay helped seal the deal.

There is a great breakfast cafe on the NW corner across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kathryn M, Manager at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Willyum2,

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments on Prestons Restaurant. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the package that you purchased and that it filled all your travel needs.
Prestons also has a fabulous breakfast offer if you choose to order-in during your next stay with us.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My friends and myself stayed at this downtown hotel overnight to take in some Dine Out Vancouver events and have a little getaway. We were able to check in early, which was fantastic as we had an afternoon event planned. The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and helpful and had arranged to give us all view rooms (we had 3 rooms altogether). We arrived separately and some had to drop off bags to rush to the event and the front desk staff were happy to store the bags securely until we got back. The fellows at the front door were great getting taxis for us and again were very friendly.
The rooms and the hotel in general were spotlessly clean and fresh and the design and colors were tasteful. We had a corner room and there were wide windows on 2 sides and the room was bright and airy feeling. We had a peek-a-boo view of the water and could watch the seaplanes land and the rowers on the water. I enjoyed the fact that we could set the temperature of the room on a wall control so the room could be warm during the day and cool at night for sleeping without a loud air conditioner. The beds were super comfy.
Check out was fast and there was no problem storing our bags once again so we could go out for brunch. Everyone we encountered was pleasant and helpful.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bright and on the north side you will see the water in peekaboo views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank visitor08Vancouver
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Jeremy and Sheren were awesome at the front desk! They gave us a really great room and were so funny.it was a great welcoming environement to be around. The view from.the room was beautiful and the bed was comfy.I will definetly go back.

• Stayed February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We were going to an event at Canada Place so we decided to get a hotel close by to the event.
Got a great deal through Hotwire. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by very friendly staff. Check-in was good, and they gave us a choice to an upgrade for an extra $30.00. A corner room with a view on the top 20th floor (room 2010) So we went for it. Great view of Stanley Park and north shore mountains. The room had a nice comfortable king size bed.. Great deep bathtub in the washroom(fits 2 people) Two living room chairs with 2 ottomans, and a office desk. There is no bar fridge, or pay-for refreshments or booze in the room. There is a coffee maker, with Starbucks coffee and tea. There is a 32? inch flat screen mounted to the wall, but is in a awkward viewing location from the bed. A swing mount TV would be better. There is a safe in the closet and 2 bath robes. The outdoor pool is heated and the hot tub is great, its located on the 5th floor, NOT the roof top as mentioned earlier. The exercise room well equipped with good quality exercise machines. The check out time is noon. They have a restaurant, but we didn't go. The only major complaint we have is the room layout. The bed would be better facing towards the 'view" The TV would be better if it was bigger and you could see it from the bed. A bar fridge would be nice. All in all a great hotel, in a good location......walkable to Stanley Park, the convention center, and Robson Street.

Room Tip: 20th or 19th floor best for views. we had corner room # 2010. lots of other taller buildings around...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rubberducklover
Vancouver
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The Coast Coal Harbour Hotel is in a super location. I went with my husband for our wedding anniversary and were given a free upgrade to a huge corner room with a view of the water. The bed was comfortable, the rooms immaculate and the staff friendly and helpful. I would totally recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Lovely rooms with high quality furnishings. Great location, great value, great staff, great rooms, great food, plus so many nice extra touches! I travel on business and stay at many high quality hotels, but they should all be like this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
BC
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was my first stay at the Coast Coal Harbor and I must say the next time I am in the downtown area, I will be staying here again. The staff were always friendly from check-in to check-out and everything in between, over 5 days I was greeted by many friendly people. On arrival I was checked in quickly and received a great room with City and Harbour views on the top floor, the lady checking me in said she was going to find me a very nice room and she did just that, she even inquired how I liked the room later. The room itself was very clean, well laid out and was very comfortable. Any hotel that uses Starbucks coffee in the in room coffee makers also gets bonus points with me. At one point I also inquired about specific types of restaurants in the area and was directed accurately to two very good ones.
As it was more than a couple days I also took advantage of their gym when I could and found that also to be very clean and well laid out. They could use a little more upper body workout equipment but it is still a hotel gym so no points lost there!
I have stayed in many 5 star hotels with varying degrees of satisfaction, this one I will say for my tastes is one of the better ones. One of the nice things is the area where this hotel is, it is a mere block from the harbour front and seawall where you can walk, stroll, bike or run along the water's edge of one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Go the opposite direction and there are restaurants galor. A few blocks further the ever popular Robson St or the pacific Center Mall. Even Rogers arena is only about a 20-25 minute walk from here. You can walk the seawall straight into Stanly Park as well, it is about a 10 minute walk.
I only went to the restaurant attached to the hotel for breakfast, so for breakfasts, I would say it was ok, kind of standard fare all bit it a little over priced (like virtually all the hotel restaurants in the area) If you leave from the doors by the restaurant and go left, with in 2 minutes your will be at Moonpennies which serves lots of variety for about half the price (and tastes just as good).
Thanks for the great service! I will be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business