“Very good value for discount rate - for business trips”

Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA
Ranked #19 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
France
“Very good value for discount rate - for business trips”
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I stayed almost a week at the Coast Coal Harbour hotel as I was participating to an exhibition in the nearby exhibition centre. The hotel is really good for business purposes, providing you get a discount rate. Location is perfect, only 5 minutes walk from the fair and our contacts' offices.
The hotel is new, staff very (too ?) friendly, however I would find the whole place a bit too impersonal for leisure stays. I found the elevators quite noisy ; I asked to change room as I thought the noise was coming from the nearby ice machine, but then realized the elevator noise could be heard from everywhere. A bit of a pity that there is no minibar, or at least a can of water and orange juice. The bed was very comfortable.
All in all, a very pleasant business stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 3 March 2010

The hotel is in a great location just a block from the Burrard Inlet waterfront. Our 9th floor room had a view (between two buildings) of the water and mountains. You can watch float planes take off and land. The staff our friendly and the rooms are clean (it is fairly new). The decor is sparse and modern. There is little warmth with just one piece of art and off white walls. Staff are friendly and always offer a greeting. I would say it is a solid 3 * hotel. No extras like a room fridge. The bathroom amenities are not luxurious and the toilet and facial tissue are bargain bin quality. The free wireless worked well. Other than that it is a good choice if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CalibHfx
Europe
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Wonderful hotel. New! big rooms with all conforts. Walking distnace from the famous robson street. I love it!

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Calgary
Reviewed 4 February 2010

The valet staff were absolutely amazing and the staff seemed friendly enough but I was overcharged 1300 dollars. I had my room barged in on from construction workers, they were sanding my door while I tried to sleep, No pool working, no ice machines working(though they were very prompt with the ice from room service).

The hotel is nice and the people were very good but when I had to really really hustle to get my money back that they overcharged, I am really really irate and think it's absolute BS that I had to argue with them that I didn't steal a pillow, DID NOT DAMAGE THE ROOM and did NOT need to ask them for my 1300 dollars back!! WHAT IS WITH THAT??? THEY MADE ME WORK FOR MY MONEY??

F Coal coast and I wouldn't stay there if I were you

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank jimmyriggs
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This hotel has promise - but I'd give it six months to be ready to visit. The staff is friendly, but many are still learning about the hotel themselves. I checked in and my room didn't have any hotel information about room service, amenities, phone operations, etc. Probably an oversite - but if a new hotel is trying to impress guests they should at least provide the basic how-to documentation. I also learned that all of my associates received a coupon for a complimentary app in the hotel restaurant upon arrival with their checkin docs -- along with a much more thorough welcome. The hotel needs to work to clean up inconsistencies. The biggest things that stuck out to me were: [1] the towels!!! I don't know where they're from, but they leave massive amounts of lint on every surface they touch! Beware - it's hard to get off. I was told it's because they're new - but I've never had new towels do anything close to this.... [2] They don't offer conditioner or hairdryers in the rooms. [3] There are no full-length mirrors in the rooms - would be easy to add to the back of a door. [4] The front desk never told me about the 'master switch' to turn everything on in the room - good to know about when you're trying to find your way into the space. [5] The fitness room was 20% operational the first day with treadmills only - no TVs or water or anything. The second day it was closed. I won't stay here again for awhile -- maybe down the road a ways, but there are way too many gaps in service and quality to make it worth while....

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank lisacun
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I checked into this hotel on the first day it opened. All I can say is WOW! this hotel is nice. Nikki the Front Office manager was wonderful, got us checked in and showed us around this property. I can see that this will be my new favorite hotel in downtown. A bonus is that the convention center is within walking distance. Through out our weekend stay, the front desk staff was always very nice and helpful. The rooms are big, and high ceilings, and the Internet worked like a charm. I will have to remember my I-Pod, as my room had an I-Pod station. Some things was not working properly at the hotel, but this will be a a beautiful hotel once all the construction is done. This hotel has my business!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Sonics
San Francisco
Reviewed 24 January 2010

The hotel just opened about 10 days ago, and we've never stayed in a hotel this new before. This is the first review. The property still had that "new hotel" smell. Checkin was quick, and we got our room early, before checkin time. Extended checkout was permitted upon request.

Room was a decent size with big windows. It's a high rise with lots of high rises around, so our view was of the next building over. Room had a flat screen TV and soft, comfortable bedding.

Internet was free (wireless, code provided on request from front desk), which was not expected since it was not advertised.

Location is great -- just a block or so from the harbour, and 7-minute walk from the Waterfront SkyTrain station up Hastings Street. Can walk to Stanley Park in about 10 minutes. There's a grocery store and drugstore across the street, 7-Eleven around the corner, and several coffee shops nearby. More restaurants and shops are up on Robson St., which is a 3-4 minute walk up the hill.

The hotel having just opened, missed a couple finishing touches in our room (forgot the remote and phone), but that was resolved in a couple minutes after notifying the front desk. Ice machines weren't yet installed, but Room Service was quick to bring ice on request.

The hotel staff was very friendly and hospitable, even following up on things after the fact, and staff were always asking what we thought of the place. They seemed genuinely interested in making sure we were happy and wanted to hear any feedback since the property was so new.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple