“Wonderful stay, excellent service - VPR will be the only hotel I stay at in Vancouver”

Fairmont Pacific Rim
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 12 April 2010

My wife and I visited the Fairmont Pacific Rim for 2 nights in April 2010. We were celebrating a recent achievement in her studies and had let the hotel know in advance. We had a wonderful stay from the moment we checked-in to the when we left Vancouver. The service was personal – staff did many little things to acknowledge our travel preferences – and rooms were extremely comfortable. This will become the only hotel I stay at in Vancouver when I visit as I believe they have something special going here.

Service (5/5):
*Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived at 8am but the staff gladly stored our bags and the agent who checked us in said she’d call me when the room was ready (which she did a few hours later). I ran into the same agent the following afternoon and she asked me how my stay was going and referred to me by my name. A small touch but made me feel like a personal guest at the hotel.
*Concierge at the hotel was EXCEPTIONAL. I worked with one person in particular before the trip, who asked great questions and followed-up on a timely basis and exceeded our expectations on every level. This concierge added various personal touches throughout our stay. For his service alone, I would rate VPR as 5/5.
*The availability of the courtesy vehicles was inconsistent. Of the 4 times I requested the vehicle, I was able to secure a ride 2 times. I’m not sure if they only have 1 car or if there is a shortage of drivers.

Rooms (5/5):
*We stayed in one of the ‘signature suites’ which was extremely comfortable and spacious. Room was warm which was great considering we had two blustery days while in Vancouver. As noted above, my wife has allergies to certain scents and cleaners so the staff prepared the room accordingly. Staff cleaned room on both days and also turned down the room in the evening. Overall very clean and well-maintained throughout our stay.
*The common area was huge, and included both a sitting area with large flat screen TV, a dining area and two large closets. The balcony had great view of the harbour, Convention Centre, Olympic Cauldron, and the eastern side of Stanley Park. Also very interesting is the Chairman’s Suite which is still being built. It has two levels of floor-to-ceiling windows and I was told the roof of the suite would become an entertaining area for the suite.
*The main bathroom had a TV in the mirror which was a great feature that you could use while in the shower or in the tub. Shower had one of those rainfall showerheads which I love. Second bathroom was very large and also had a shower.
*Bedroom had a view of the habour and Stanley Park and was very comfortable. Room also has a large flat screen TV, a ‘Nespresso’ machine that makes decent espresso.
*All of the lights were activated by touch pad and had preprogrammed themes although I’m not sure if they were functioning appropriately as the ‘relax’ and ‘entertain’ theme seemed to either dim the lights so low you couldn’t see anything or made the room really bright.

Restaurants (4/5):
*Giovane (Café) – Enjoyed their fresh pastries, savory scones and well-made coffees. Really nice area to sit in with lots of windows. A bit pricier than local cafes which is typical for hotel cafes.
*Oru (Pan-Asian) – Overall thought it was an authentic Asian restaurant with excellent service. They had a tasting menu with various land animals but they were able to accommodate all of our dietary restrictions. Our favorite dish was the Sake Kasu Sablefish (perfectly cooked) which had a miso glaze (not salty and comforting). Their homemade tofu with mushroom truffle sauce was earthy and light although a bit difficult to eat with a plate and chopsticks – I’d recommend they serve it with a serving spoon and small bowls so you can ‘shovel’ the tofu out with your chopsticks. The steamed rainbow trout with ginger/scallions tasted great and was a very generous portion that could easily have fed 4-5 adults. My wife particularly liked the ‘tanryoku’ cocktail with chili infused vodka, saké, giffard ginger, lime, fresh cilantro.
*Lobby area – Did not have drinks or food here although I’d point out the Fazioli piano that played in the evenings – what a beautiful looking and sounding piano!

Location (5/5):
*Ideal location downtown and just a few blocks from the Canada Line and Skytrain stations
*Across the street from Canada Place and the Convention Centre (where the Olympic Cauldron stood and where you can see the Olympic rings that turned gold when Canada won a gold medal during the Olympics)
*Short walk to water and a few minutes by bike to Stanley Park

1 Thank quank

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed 10 April 2010

The Fairmont Pacific Rim is the best hotel I've had the pleasure of staying at in North America, especially for the value. When I travel it's mostly for business and I usually try to keep the hotel rates reasonable (i.e. <$200/night). I managed to get a grand opening special rate and stayed for 4 nights during the tail end of the para-Olympics.

The hotel is new (opened during the Olympics) - the cabbie I had had not heard of the hotel (there's 2 other Fairmonts nearby) so be ready to have the address handy as a precaution. It's downtown on the waterfront - good location. Also, the entrance is off to the side a bit. I travel to China quite a bit and this hotel reminds me a lot of the hotels in China - at a reasonable price. They definitely transferred that model to this hotel.

The lobby is very impressive. Very grand, chic and modern. Great fireplace and sleek design. Very nice staff.

The room is very spacious. Big flat screen tv. Complimentary internet, water and shoe shine service. Very cool/funky bathroom - separate room for the toilet. Separate shower and tub AND a tv built into the mirror but stands as part of the mirror when it's not on. The decor is modern and very nice. Sliding barn doors were a nice touch too I thought. Safety deposit box in the room but it didn't seem to work (not a deal breaker). Room service is good but they do automatically add a gratuity but that makes it easier, in my opinion.

Other amenities: Gym is nice - lots of modern cardio equipment. Ok free weights and machinery. Free bottles of water, free fruit and muffins - again, stuff you'd only see in China it seems. There's a nice bakery/brunch place in the hotel and the main restaurant is supposed to be really good but I didn't have the pleasure of trying it (other than room service).

Too often I'm resigned to the fact that I'm spoiled in China and slumming it in N.A. but alas, I finally found a hotel here that offers a true hotel experience. Of course, once the rates go up, it'll probably be out of my league but until then, try to book a stay and enjoy your stay while you can!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Chetwynd, BC Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim from April 2nd - 6th. From the moment we arrived the service was awesome. When we got out of the taxi the bellman asked for our last name and said that we did not have to go to check-in, he had our keys. He handed us off to another gentleman who took us to our room and showed us how everything worked and where the buttons were (remote lights, curtains, coffee maker, TV in the mirror......)

The location of the hotel is great. The 2010 Olympic Caldron as directly across the street to the left and Canada Place was directly across the street to the right. The elevators are the fastest that we have ever had in a hotel. The longest we had to wait was approximately 2 seconds, they seemed to anticipate us needing to use them. The rooms are large and comfortable.

The hotel just opened in January 2010, so the pool area is not finished yet (it's due to open in June 2010). You may want to ask for a room on the other side of the hotel until the pool is finished, as the workers seemed to start working outside between 7:00 and 7:30 am. I went to the spa and it was great. I decided at the last minute to get a massage, that was around 4:00 pm. I called down and they said that they were all booked up, I said that was fine. About 10 minutes later I received a call from the spa saying that a masseuse said that she would stay to give me my massage. I went directly down and had an awesome 60 minutes massage.

If you want to be pampered and have great service, this is the hotel for you.

1 Thank DebKel
Toronto
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel is a top notch hotel with excellent harbour & mountain views in the rooms. We stayed in a deluxe room which was very spacious, clean and modern. Although our room was located next to the elevators we were never bothered by any hallway noises. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable and we were greeted with smiles every time we walked thru the lobby. Another nice unexpected bonus was that we were able to web check-in and print our boarding passes for free in the Business Centre on the day of our departing flight which allowed us more time to spend in the city. The hotel is also closely situated to the Canada Line Sky train, about a 3 minute walk eastward. The hotel is also within walking distance to Gastown, Chinatown and Robson Street. Also try the Giovane Cafe located in the hotel, very delicious breakfast pastries (try the sugar bun)! The only downside was the rooftop cabana pool was not open yet when we were there but I'm sure it will be amazing!

Seattle
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The hotel is very modern, the room is big, with nice and comfortable furniture, and of course, beautiful views. All the lighting and window curtain in room are controlled electronically. It took us a while to figure out how to use the espresso machine, but coffee comes out of it is way better than other coffee machines I used at other hotels (including other Fairmont hotels). Bathroom has shower and bath tub, TV build in the mirror. Service are great, everyone is polite and try to offer the best service to their guest. This is one of the best hotel I ever stayed.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Although our room view was described as Harbour View, what we could actually see from our room was the roof of the conference centre. When we requested another room, we had to wait a very long time, and were shown a room in front of an ice machine and close to the elevator, even although we have a preference stated for a quiet room away from elevators and ice machines (both in our President's Club profile and on our reservation).

In such circumstances, good hotels normally offer one or two upgrades at little or no charge, just to compensate the guest for the inconvenience. This hotel did offer a minor upgrade, but to another totally unsuitable room. When we asked for a higher upgrade, for which we were willing to partially pay for, we were asked for the full amount of the upgrade.

Ultimately, we had to cancel our reservation and move to another hotel. However, it was not until we informed this hotel of our decision that the Assistant Reception Manager came to speak to us, even although he was close by during the previous discussion.

Also, we highly recommend that anyone looking for an enjoyable and relaxing stay in a 4 star hotel atmosphere should avoid this hotel, because it certainly does not have a 4 star hotel atmosphere, but rather appears, sounds and feels like a typical business hotel full of convention delegates, with the associated high level of noise and constant bustle and delays in service. Due to this hotel’s extreme proximity the convention centre, the choice of rooms is very limited for individual travellers, due to the common block-booking for conventions.

The only slightly redeeming part of this experience was that the hotel provided us with free transportation to our new hotel.

I should also mention that I have been satisfied with my stays at many Fairmont hotels over the years, but this experience has now unfavourably changed my opinion of the Fairmont brand.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank ValerioRD
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Fabulous suite… eager-to-please staff... stunning views… delightful experience!

Pet friendly notes – our dog enjoyed happy greetings, a quiet room, and exploring the waterfront neighborhood. The bustling lobby could be overwhelming at times, and it felt like a long walk to a good “doing his business” spot — but never a problem. The cat and dog room service menu was a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple