“Modest little cafe, good food”
Review of Thai Basil

Thai Basil
Ranked #516 of 3,750 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Davie Village
Neighbourhood: Davie Village
Elstree, United Kingdom
“Modest little cafe, good food”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We found this place as a last resort as we had left it late and we were really hungry. Thank goodness the service was fast. Its just a little place seating 20 people inside and maybe another 10 on the pavement. We ordered thai fish cakes, chicken sate and one main, a chicken pad mee. Everything was served quickly and hot. It was all freshly cooked as the vegies in thepad mee were crisp and tasty. The noodles were light and spiced just perfectly. The fish cakes were salmon and equally good. The satay chicken slices were grilled enough without becoming dry. The saray sauce was less peanutty than I'm used to, but that's just down to personal taste. All in all, good, fresh tasry food served efficiently. The only thing to be wary of is the jasmine tea, served in a totally inappropriate teapot so that we had half the flowers and stems floating on the top of our mug!

Visited August 2013

North Vancouver BC Canada
“Good Thai”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Had the green curry chicken and we shared a pad thai. Pad thai came with 3 large prawns and lots of peanuts. Was very good, little above in flavour from our local favorite thai place in North Vancouver. My husband had the chicken and cashews, which was disappointing as it should be called find the cashew. My son had a red curry dish that he loved. Ordered takeout so cannot comment on service.

Visited July 2013
Albany, NY
“OK, not great”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were 10 visitors from out of town. Thai Basil was nearest our hotel and our first stop for lunch takeout. Everyone was famished and in the mood for pretty much anything. Our group ordered 1) pad thai with green salad, 2) pad gra prow, 3) massaman curry, and 4) yellow curry. We ate in our hotel -- a 2-minute walk from the restaurant. Without exception, the dishes were OK but undistinguished. We have had lots of Thai food including in Thailand itself. Wish I could articulate exactly what made our experience good but not great, but none of us could figure it out. Perhaps the balance of flavors wasn't close enough to "right" in any of the dishes. It wasn't awful. If you're hungry, this restaurant will likely get the job done. It just didn't quite live up to our expectations.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“evil staff - beware”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

terrible service that i wouldn't expect from the dingiest restaurant in chinatown. i pondered a few options before i ordered some broccoli dish. after waiting a while i went to check on my food at the counter. the guy who took my order gave it to me. i took it to my seat and started eating. it was a really boring stir fry rice dish and not how i remembered the dish being described but thought they had just messed up the order. the guy comes out and tells me i had taken the wrong food. i reminded him that he had given it to me. he was convinced that somehow my plot was devious although i was actually eating something that was not what i even wanted. he took the food away and brought me my dish a few minutes later. not much better but at least it had broccoli. then another women from the kitchen feels it was appropriate to come from the kitchen and tell me how erroneous my actions had been. i was apologetic the whole time but also reminded her that i was the customer and it was an honest mistake. somehow it escalated with her telling me never to come back. i took my dish in at the end of the meal, and calmly told them how offensive their service was. she told me to leave the premises. i told them i had the right to stand their and complain. she said she would call 911. i laughed at her presumption. i don't know where these people are from, but i never ever saw such obnoxious behaviour in my many wonderful travels to thailand. these people area disgrace to the service industry, in thailand and vancouver.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank mondodelmundo
Regina
“A must visit everytime in town”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This place is very small and only seats 10-15 people inside but the food can't be beat. Everytime I'm in YVR I haver to eat here. The prices, quality and taste can't be beat. The green curry is that great combination and spicy and sweetness. Last time I also had the tom yum soup and is was excellent!

• Visited May 2013