“Disappointing service!”

Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Terrace, Canada
“Disappointing service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Four months ago, four friends and I booked a special holiday at the Pan Pacific. We booked adjoining rooms and confirmed it with a telephone call. We paid in advance for the rooms and looked forward to our stay in this 'world class' hotel. Because we flew in from various cities we arrived at different times and unfortunately some of the people who arrived before 4:00PM were treated rather poorly and told that there was no record of their name or booking (which was later discovered on the computer) and they would not be admitted unless two of us, who had been rather arbitrarily chosen as 'The Name' for the room arrived...even though they had prepaid and their names were somewhere in the computer. Unfortunately, when we all had arrived, another disappointment...no adjoining rooms. We were told by the manager that we had been misinformed when we confirmed our reservation over the telephone and there were no adjoining double rooms. So despite the fact that the error was not ours, no compensation was offered until we complained loudly, causing a commotion at the desk. So to pacify us we were offered free internet, which we thought laughable until we learned that at this luxury hotel, patrons have to pay for internet! Needless to say we used the free, FAST internet at a cafe steps away from the hotel. We were also shocked to learn that we would have to pay for local telephone calls. We enjoyed the view, the convenient location, the comfortable beds, the outdoor saltwater pool and a very helpful concierge, but for our next special girls' holiday, we will NOT be staying at the Pan Pacific!

1 Thank PatKo4308
PanPacificVancouver, Director of Quality Assurance at Pan Pacific Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay.

It was disappointing to read that we did not meet your expectations with regard to room assignment. We did follow up with our Front Office Management team regarding your comments.
There seems to have been a miscommunication regarding our connecting rooms and the names on your reservations and regret the resulting in delays at check in. Our standard connectors are all king rooms connecting to double bedded room. There are also several one bedroom suites with connecting king bedded room.

We were pleased that despite this arrival experience, you were able to enjoy the views from your accommodation and our Canada Place location, providing easy access to local services and attractions.

If you should give us the privilege of returning, we would appreciate this opportunity to show you that we can truly provide a first class hospitality experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,069)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Terrace, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel did not meet our expectations for a five star hotel. Although the location is fantastic with wonderful views and in close proximity to downtown, we were given a substandard room: a second bedroom to a suite on the 9th floor, which was not what we had booked, and whose thin wall allowed all the noise from the family in the suite. We were able to move to another room for the next two nights, but since we had reserved our room well in advance of our stay it was disappointing. Also, I was surprised that the hotel charged for wifi which is now provided by many of the other hotel chains in 2014.

2 Thank Susan R
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Ideal location for downtown and shops, shuttle buses and skytrain. The view... a beautiful picture window overlooking the water and North Shore, incredibly relaxing and a great start and finish to every day. Excellent service from extremely friendly and attentive staff plus wonderful beds and linen. A superb hotel - we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Vancouver.

Room Tip: The rooms with the wonderful view are worth the extra - or look out for early deals where upgrades a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent three nights here prior to leaving on a cruise to Alaska. The location could not have been better as the hotel sits on top of Canada place which is the main cruise terminal. So easy.
The rooms are well appointed with lovely linens which alas are not for sale. There are a series of in shops, a bar with a great view and an elegant restaurant which over looks the harbor.
The hotel is an easy walk to gas town and the major city shopping areas. The round town bus and trolley leave out front of the hotel. The views from the west side of the building have spectacular views of the hard.

Room Tip: Defiantly ask for a room on the left side of the hotel as you face the water. The rooms on the right...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The first thing I'm going to say is, "Stay here!" The rooms are clean and feel new, the bathroom is just the right size, the beds are comfortable and there is good climate control. The view is a usually a combination of downtown, water and the mountains, and is hard to beat. My wife and I visit Vancouver once a year, having lived there a long time ago. This was our second stay at the Pan Pacific. We've stayed at the Fairmont and the Sutton (both nice hotels), but we like this hotel far more.

When we checked in, I helped myself to a glass of their ice cold water. When I accidentally spilled some of it on the front desk counter and offered to clean it up, the lady who checked us in told me not to worry. My wife was convinced that I had cursed us into getting a bad room. When we entered our room, it was twice the size of the one we had last year. It was amazing! I am convinced there is not a bad room at this hotel.

The one issue that I personally had, took place on the first night. At about 1 am, I heard what sounded like a light metal scraping noise outside. I looked outside and tried turning off the AC, but couldn't figure out what it was. My wife was asleep, so I tried to ignore it. The sound took place for about 20 minutes and went away. A half hour later, I awoke to the same sound. My wife was still asleep, so I got dressed and went down to the lobby. I described the sounds and the man on night duty at the desk instantly identified what I had heard. He pointed up at the window washers on the glass dome above the lobby. The man apologized for the noise and got on his walkie talkie to halt the washers. I tend to be a soft sleeper when we are on holiday, but this was the first time that a hotel actually did something when I brought up a noise issue! There were no more noises during our stay, although my wife did guilt me about the dome windows the next day. I did feel a bit of guilt, but I also felt listened to...so thank you to the Pan Pacific for that. :)

Tip: If you get there with luggage before 3 pm, leave your luggage with the porter just inside the ground-level entrance (saves you going to the front desk lobby, two floors up and back). Tell them you are checking in later. You can also store your luggage there if you are leaving town late on checkout day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Location ,location! the hotel is right at the pier and your luggage will be deliver directly to your cruise cabin on the day of your departure,but besides that it is withing walking distance of Stanley park ,the free shuttle bus to Capilano and Carderos restaurant .The hotel itself is excellent !.

Room Tip: I booked a regular room and was upgraded to a room in the 12 floor with view of the bay where watchi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nanaimo, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

If you want a view and great service when you go to Vancouver this hotel is the one to stay at. There is valet parking which is only $4.00 more than regular parking. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The pool is a lovely temperature and overlooks the ocean and the mountains. The food is local and beautifully prepared and presented. And again you have a great view while you enjoy your drink or meal. Al the tourist buses leave from outside the hotel and the harbour cruises and seaplanes depart from very nearby. A seawalk is beside the hotel and you can walk easily to Stanley Park in one direction, to Gastown and Chinatown in another and to downtown shopping in a third. All in all, there are lots of reasons to recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Pan Pacific Hotels Group