“Very poor value - there are many better choices nearby”

Pan Pacific Vancouver
Ranked #17 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Dayton, Ohio
“Very poor value - there are many better choices nearby”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

The location is nice, service only OK. Be ready to pay a lot for everything, as little is included in the rate, then what you do add on is very expensive. For this price all aspects should be excellent, but it wasn't.
Also I had the unfortunate timing to be there when a large company had a two day meeting there. They filled the bars, and restraints, the service level declined and the hotel became very noisy. Very unpleasant.
My advice chose one of the higher rated hotels across the street, and one that caters to travelers not large groups.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Rick O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

Yes, the location is wonderful - I could go on and on. The beds were comfortable without question and the rooms were spotless. That's why I gave them the positives that I did on the overall rating. However, that's where the positive ends.

I was told that their regular breakfast buffet wouldn't put available due to the fact that the hotel wasn't full enough and that instead, I could take advantage of their menu. So I did - however they took the opportunity to take advantage of me by charging me $7.00 for orange juice. Charge me more for something when it's worth more, prettier, more rare, or it required great effort to produce. Orange juice doesn't fit that bill. The rest of the breakfast was the same crazy song and dance with me leaving with a $38 charge just for a morning meal. Sad.
As I checked out, there were two receptionists - TWO. It was like pulling teeth to get them from leaning on the wall behind the desk to walk up to me to help check me out. Forget a smile and anything to leave a positive impression - maybe they were too busy and they had too many guests in the hotel.
Oh wait...didn't they already tell me that there wasn't?

Never again. I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Barefeet2011
Olathe, KS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

I stayed at the Pan Pacific for a conference, and felt ripped off. The internet is horribly expensive, and then I found out on the last day of my stay that it should have been free because it was a conference hotel (it would have been nice for them to tell me that when I checked in instead of telling me the internet daily rate if it hadn't been included in my room). The drinks at the hotel bar are horribly expensive as well. However, there are soem great views, and it was an easy, inside walk to the convention center. It's also not a bad walk from the subway station. That said, if I had another conference at the Vancouver Convetion Center, I'd probably stay at the Fairmont across the street from the Pan Pacific.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

Spent New Years eve their and felt like I was ripped off BIG Time. We payed $260 per night and was suprised to see 1) Elevators were not working. 2) Water was $3 / $5 per bottle. 3) Drinks were $7 und up in the in room mini bar. 4) Local calls were $2 each. 5) Only 3 towles in the room. 6) No vending machiens on site. 7) The pool and hot tub are packed and tiny. 8) Parking is $39 per day! ... and I could go on and on.

I cant figure out how this place got so many positive reviews ...must of been from MLA's and other government officials with fat expense accounts.

When we checked out 4 out of the 6 people in front of us complained about their bills or stated that they felt that they were being gouged.

I dont know who rated this as a 5 star hotel ...they should be fired, it's a 4 star at the most.

I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE PERIOD!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chrisbandjenniferb
, Manager at Pan Pacific Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
I regret to learn that you were disappointed with the hotel and felt the value was less than expected for the price paid and also your disappointment with the extra charges for amenities in the guestroom, and appreciate your feedback regarding the charges for making local telephone calls from the guestroom and the amenities in the min-bar. It is not unusual in the hotel industry to charge access fees for room connections. We do conduct a market survey every quarter to compare our competitors’ rates for room services, and usually find our prices are competitive. Our Housekeeping would be pleased to supply extra towel and bathroom amenities for guests upon request.

It was also disappointing to learn that the escalators were not working during you stay and that you were unable to find a quiet time to enjoy the pool deck. The pool hours of operation are currently 6 a.m. until midnight which, allows us time to do general maintenance to the pool and hot-tub. However, the use of the pool and hot tub are for adults only from 10:00 p.m. until closing.

Parking rates throughout downtown Vancouver have seen several increases recently due to increased transit taxes and the H.S.T. tax. Unfortunately, the operator of the parking lot in this complex has, in turn, needed to raise their daily and hourly rates in order to cover these higher operating costs. Unfortunately this is not a cost that we can build into standard room rates. We do have discount vouchers that enable the self parking guest to maximize their parking charges at $31 per day.

At the Pan Pacific, it is our desire to put our "best foot forward" at all times, our goal is to make each visit an enjoyable and memorable one. Although you do not recommend that people stay with us we would like the opportunity to redeem our reputation in the future and would be pleased to offer you a complimentary one night stay. You have my assurance that every detail, from sumptuous guestroom furnishings to our friendly, attentive service will be provided to enhance your comfort and sense of relaxation. Kindly contact our Kathryn Poole, Executive Assistant to our General Manager at Pan Pacific Vancouver.
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

Spotlessly clean. Comfortable beds. Bright, modern, LOTS of room, much larger than your standard 2 bed hotel room.
We had a view of the city which was super nice.
Professional and friendly service, fast check in.
In the heart of downtown within walking distance of great shopping.
Lots of room to park under the hotel.
Loved everything about this place except for the parking fee, which is around $50.00 a day.
They do provide a coupon for around $20.00 a day.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
, Manager at Pan Pacific Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
It was a pleasure to see that you loved the guestroom with the city view. The room you were in is a double room which, at the Pan Pacific Vancouver, is full double beds, a little longer than the standard.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

I don't think the cleaning staff had ever heard of a hand tool on the vacuum cleaner. Could write my name in the dust on the back of couches and along the edges of the walls. Looking for a lost ear ring behind the bed resulted in a forced view of even more dust, candy and condom wrappers.

on the bright side, the staff was nice, and my dog has a nice time.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
, Manager at Pan Pacific Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Please accept our apology that you found the guestroom to be less than immaculate. This was an oversight on our part and is not indicative of the superior housekeeping standards and the attention to details that we are known for. Our Housekeeping associates take pride in their work, especially the level to which our guestrooms are cared for. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate departments for internal review and follow up.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

Pan Pacific is a wonderful hotel.
we stayed here for 3 nights while exploring Vancouver.
The room was great. It had everything what you expect from a luxury hotel.
The bed was very comfortable.
From our bathroom we had a amazing view of the lake where every once a while a water-airplane started and landed.
The location is very good and you can walk to down town.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TeeL69
, Manager at Pan Pacific Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had overall favorable comments and ratings of our services and accommodations. I was also pleased you loved our city and enjoyed the comfort of the guestroom and view from the window. The Pan Pacific takes pride in the selection of beds, furnishings and amenities for our rooms.