“Moments Away”

Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Alert Bay, Canada
“Moments Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

The Sutton is the perfect place for travelling without a vehical. Half a block from the hotel is Robson St. with all the wonderfully unique stores that are also open late. There is a wonderful Crepe place for breakfast half a block up and two blocks down is a large Chapters. Right beside the Sutton is an IGA for munchies. The pub attached to the Sutton was inviting, friendly and open late. The room service breakfast was delivered hot and very tasty. The service was top notch and the room lived up to all expectations. For a busy hotel the hall and room noise was nil.
When we did want a taxi to go to Grandville Island, there was one waiting downstairs. This was a wonderful place to stay for four days and I will definetly be back.

Room Tip: Room 822 is away from the elevators and ice machine. You have a view of Robson Street.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Navid S, Manager at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for the great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facility and surroundings. Your compliments for our staff are greatly appreciated. It was a pleasure having you staying with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I have enjoyed staying at this hotel many many times over the past 5 years - primarily because of the great central location. However, I just checked out on Wednesday after staying for 3 nights in one of the King Grand Suites, and I will never go back!

For the first time, I placed my reservation via a third party reservation site because the price was just that much better than booking hotel-direct. The only problem was, and which I did not know, is that when you reserve a room this way all of the normal amenities associated with the room are stripped away and are now charged to you as add-ons. I paid more than $60 per day for parking and Wi-Fi, which I have never paid for in any of my previous stays at this hotel in the past 5 years. That was the first of several shocks.

Secondly, while the suite was spacious with a large living room and a sizeable separate bedroom, the decor was dated, dingy, and worn. There were stains on my duvet and on the carpet. There was certainly nothing “grand” about this “Grand Suite” in a hotel that prides itself on being one of the “high-end” hotels in the downtown area. Shock number two.

Thirdly, I ordered room service several times and the food was just "okay" and certainly not worth the prices charged. I will definitely take a walk down Robson Street and order take out next time - it's worth the inconvenience and braving the rain over ordering room service from the hotel. Shock number three.

Lastly, I attended the Vida Spa for a little pampering and the only word I can think of to describe this part of the hotel is “afterthought.” The Spa decor is dark and dingy and not luxurious in any way – unless you call having your feet soaked in a small bucket lined with a garbage bag “luxurious.” While the esthetician was very nice, she even seemed a little embarrassed about the hotel’s vision of “spa.” The nail polishes were old, thick, gooey, and bubbling and 3 hours after my appointment had still not fully set which led to smears and a ruined manicure/pedicure – and $200 down the drain. Shock number four.

In my opinion, and from my most recent experience, Sutton Place is no longer a contender for the “high-end” hotel experience. From here on out I will happily stay a few blocks down Robson Street and enjoy the service of any other star-rated hotel because this hotel has become an extremely overpriced, and disappointing, 2 star hotel at best.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Stacey S
Dear Guest, We would like to thank you for staying with us. We are very sorry that your recent stay was less than satisfactory.Your candid feedback will help us better understand your expectations and target the areas that we need to improve so we can accommodate our valued guests better, like yourself. Your feedback has also been shared with Vida spa. I invite you to contact me directly at nsariolghalam@suttonplace.com in order for us to regain your confidence with The Sutton Place Hotel. Thank you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel a few months ago when I went to vancouver for the first time. I have to say, the location couldn't get better. we stayed for only one night. The room was clean for the most part, some dust here and there (and yes I am very picky because I have severe asthma). When we arrived we asked for a king bed but they said there's nothing available. but when we checked online on the website there were rooms left. So we called back front desk but they said they can't do anything for us. I find this disappointing. I stay at high end hotels often and have never had problems with room upgrades. And when I mentioned the dust they said they'll send someone to clean up but no one arrived. I don't like being confrontational so I dropped it. The funny part is, Im going back to Vancouver again in 2 weeks and again, got the same hotel with Hotwire! luck of a draw I guess! I hope it's better this time! I really do!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Moon_mah
manchester, nh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

The Sutton Place was an excellent choice for us in Vancouver. The staff was always helpful, and the location was perfect, within a short walking distance of shopping and bus tour stops. The room was very good, the only down side was we did hear a lot of sirens from ambulances during the night. I believe there is a medical facility nearby. The other side of the hotel did not hear them though; we had friends with the room across the hall from us and they had not.

Breakfast was good but overpriced we felt, but we did not notice anyplace close that had a real breakfast so we just ate there.

The lobby, etc was very elegant with many orchid plants everywhere. Very pretty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side opposite of where the medical facility is to avoid the sirens at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Airdrie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

My husband and I booked a room through a 3rd party hotel website, and checked-in on a Saturday night at 7pm. We were initially placed into an occupied room (yes my key let me into a room occupied by others), then the front desk attendant argued with me about whether the room was occupied. I’m bet no one mentioned to the occupants that I had entered their room while they were out. After a short debate and some eye-rolling, we were given a new room which turned out to have twin beds. I was unimpressed because I didn't plan on spending my romantic weekend getaway sleeping alone. So I called to request another room change and was told that this was a highlight if the hotel - "we are one of the only hotels still offering twin beds. 80% of our rooms have this configuration." Which is nothing to brag about... I interpret this feature as they are out of touch with the market demand and resistant to update rooms. Then when I pushed a bit harder for a room reassignment I was told (very hostily) that because we had checked-in so late (7pm???) and had booked through a 3rd party site, we were only "entitled to a run of the mill room" and even though the hotel was only 85% full she would not move me to a better room in case a higher paying customer arrived later. WHAT??? I'm not the one who signed a contract with the web-site, Sutton Place did! If they want to provide lower-tier service and sub-standard rooms to 3rd party customers they should stay out of that sales channel.
The best part of the stay was the excellent concierge recommendation to Gotham’s steakhouse and the location amid prime shopping.
As there are 100's of hotels in Downtown Vancouver, I will never stay here again based on the service and silly room configurations. What kind of hotel doesn't offer King beds today? I bet I can even get one at a Super 8, and for sure at every single one of Sutton's competitors.

Room Tip: Arrive Early and try to get one of the few rooms with queen beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErinLG
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I regret to learn that your recent visit was less than satisfactory.We apologize for the shortcomings you experienced with the Front Desk! This is certainly not indicative of our sevice standards we pride ourselves. We value your business and hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide a better experience for your future stays. Kindly contact my office directly and I will be more than pleased to ensure your stay is a pleasant one. I can be reached at nsariolghalam@suttonplace.com Best regards
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We booked this hotel on Hotwire as one of the mystery hotels; we got a good price, but not a room we wanted! My husband and I spent our special night in Vancouver with twin beds:( . The front desk agent barely spoke to us on our check in and I learned a lot about the hotel from listening to the other desk clerk telling her guests the information.
The beds were comfortable, but the fabric they made the duvet covers with was very slippery. I spent half the night picking my duvet up from the floor.
They could probably upgrade their tv's. My husband was watching the baseball game, but couldn't see the score in the corner as the screen was too small.
All in all what really makes this hotel is the location!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Navid S, Manager at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at The Sutton Place Hotel. We are glad that you like our location. On another note, let us apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We are in the process of changing the duvets and upgrading our televisions. We are so sorry to learn that our check-in agent did not introduce our hotel properly, your constructive feedback have been shared with the front desk team.
We thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to The Sutton Place Hotel.
Best regards
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stayed for a few nights here after the Alaska cruise. What I like most is the location of this hotel. With an IGA supermarket right next door, we were able to buy some fresh milk, juice and fruit and stock them up in the fridge. Very handy when travelling with a toddler.

The hotel lobby and rooms are all beautifully decorated. The room was kept clean by the staff. The double beds seem to be a bit smaller than the ones in Australia, it can not fit two slim adults. I ended up sleeping in my son's bed which was OK.

The hotel sits together with its serviced apartments and there are self laundry facility on the apartment side which is very handy. Unfortunately the hotel pool is also on the apartment side which involves walking past the hotel lobby in dressing gowns if you want to use the pool or having to change once you get tothe pool.

Services are very good, but definitely not the Rosewood Georgia standard. Overall we are quite happy with our stay in Sutton Place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family