“Great pre-cruise stay”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed a couple of nights here prior to catching a cruise. Checked in around midnight after late flight. Checkin was hassle-free & efficient, we booked and paid for a suite and were upgraded to a two bedroom corner suite.

Our suite was clean, spacious, well equipped, nicely decorated & furnished.

There is nothing we could suggest as an improvement to the accommodation as it had everything. Having three suitcases of cruise clothes can sometimes be problematic but there was an abundance of hanging space in several wardrobes. The kitchen was fully equipped and had two coffee makers with good coffee supplies. Even though we didn't cook anything it was nice to have the option.

The hotel is within walking distance to good shopping, restaurants, etc.

We had buffet breakfast each morning which had a good selection of hot and cold food choices.

Only downside to our stay was dinner one night which was awful. The entree was good but main meals were devoid of all taste. I couldn't eat mine as it was so bland and unappetising. I can't remember now what it was but think it was a pasta of some sort. It's not very often that I leave a plateful of food virtually untouched.

The reception area is very nicely presented and reception staff efficient & courteous. I have read somewhere that the staff can be a little supercilious to those 'not dressed up to the nines' and I do know what they mean. After a very long flight with long stopover in Hong Kong one can arrive looking a little crumpled and worse for wear, particularly at midnight, and being looked up and down with only slightly disguised scrutiny can only add to the jet-lagged confusion and discomfort. Our producing a prestige Amex credit card did assist us in receiving a warmer welcome. No guest should feel this way.

We had some issues debating what should and should not be charged at checkout. After some time it all got resolved but left us with a $10 extra cab-waiting charge as the concierge had already loaded our cab with luggage, oblivious to the somewhat inefficiency of the checkout procedure. It was only a short drive to the cruise terminal.

Although there were minor problems we would not hesitate to stay here again and will definitely return in the future but have dinner in one of the many restaurants near the hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeniorSailor
Write a ReviewReviews (3,220)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I had been referred to this hotel by a close friend and I finally had the opportunity to stay here. Wow, was I ever impressed. The location is so close to transit, shopping, restaurants, boutique shops, Robson Street, etc. This hotel has a great room service menu, spa, coffee by the lobby and the staff was fantastic. Checking in and out was done so quickly with no fuss. I didn't hear any noise from neighbours but if anyone wants complete quiet from outside, then don't stay in a hotel in the thick of Vancouver. Every once in a while you will hear an ambulance go by as this hotel is a couple of blocks from a hospital. I wasn't disturbed by the street noise. I did however go an have a massage.....loved loved loved it!!! Would definitely stay here again and look forward to that visit!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 726 which is at the end of the hallway....quite a long way from the elevators. I l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Sutton Place Hotel , Vancouver is where we always stay . When we arrive we are always treated promptly and courteously, Staff go out of their way to help you out, I needed help to check in online for my next days flight and the concierge helped me , she was great.
The dining , lounge , gym were great, and the rooms are nice and spacious and well maintained. It is close to everything a person might want to do, shopping, theatre, dining..I would recommend Sutton Place Hotel ! Always a great stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Navid S, General Manager at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your loyal patronage of The Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver and for taking the time to post this amazing review following your recent stay with us. We could not be happier to hear that you have been enjoying your stays. It is a great pleasure to share your compliments with the management and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

too many regrets to mention.. ugh where to start . run- dont walk.
You know the movie Pretty Woman? Julia Roberts walks into the stores.. and is
treated aweful...
well- dont book on Hotwire/expedia/hotels.com
Was given a room that had not been cleaned.
Gross.
Slept fully clothed. unforgivable with a child.
We were told that it had nothing to do with our booking.
Breakfast manager was amazing- as was the continental breaky! thanks guys!!
Hotel manager offered a discounted second night. Tried to make it better.
Our phone didnt work and rang non-stop of 20 minutes until the tech could fix.
Internet stopped working suddenly during the second night.- they blamed on different room.
We finally went down to try out the pool, front desk manager told us to use our key - got into our suits,,, ready to relax. Went down stairs, through the lobby.... but was closed.
Thanks ???
Entered the steam room but couldnt stand the smell.
We were grateful to be refunded.
Staff was awesome, but sooo many things that COULD go wrong- DID.

Room Tip: Book Directly and check the room FIRST!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were extremely pleased with the Hotel. The service was among best we have
experienced. The room was lovely with a beautiful view and was very clean and well
looked after. The staff was very professional, friendly and helpful. We couldn't have
asked for more. The location was very good for us as we were only a block away
from Robson Square where my Granddaughter was skating in a program for the
day on Saturday. We loved being able to walk to the water and shopping among
other sites we wanted to see. Very Happy!!

Room Tip: My husband booked the Hotel for us and asked for a room higher up. We were on 12th floor. Again st...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013

An excellent hotel to stay at whilst in Vancouver. The staff were very helpful and the concierge went out of his way to help with a request for a introduction to a local business man. The rooms and breakfast were wonderful. The added bonus was the comfortable bar area where the service was great.

Room Tip: Not a great deal of noise from our floor so I only assume that the rest of the hotel is the same
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Everyone at this hotel is helpful. The lobby is clean and bustling with activity while the staff is always just a few feet away should you need anything. The concierge gave very helpful suggestions. The room was roomy and had wonderful windows with blackout drapes for sleeping in late. I got a wonderful deal through the hotel's direct website so self-parking and wireless internet were included in my price. Only a couple of blocks away is Thierry, a coffee & chocolate shop which is delicious. Around the corner is Cafe Artigiano, which is great for people watching in a nice relaxed atmosphere. This hotel is close to so many things so I walked a lot while I was in Vancouver. I would highly recommend this hotel. One thing, which doesn't really distract from the rating I gave: The maid did a nice job but she never replaced my coffee mugs or the paper cups for the coffee. By the end of my stay I was down to one mug. I did not partake of the spa or the pool (though I checked out the pool and it seemed nice). A fellow business traveler had a massage and thought it was wonderful, enjoying her experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business