“You'll Love The Service, Beautiful Common Areas”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Sutton Place has always been my go-to-hotel in Vancouver. Lived in Seattle and have stayed here since 1995. My recent visit this summer on business was my first in many years. Ambiance is still very nice in the common areas, staff professional & courteous, breakfast bar had great variety and prepared well. My two observations are 1) The exercise room has machines from the 1970's 2) The guest rooms need to be updated. Still have the 1990's look and obviously need to be refreshed. Wishing the best for Sutton Place because they have a great little concept. Still my place to go just want an update on exercise and guest rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Donn D
Navid S, General Manager at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your loyal patronage of The Sutton Place Hotel. We are pleased to advise that we have recently upgraded all the gym equipment and we have a program to upkeep our guestrooms. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,222)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I only stay in Vancouver about 6 nights per year. I am a particularly demanding guest. Not as in a 'complainer'. I'm unlikely to ever complain about anything, unless it is glaringly offensive.
I only stay at Sutton Place for the following reasons:

Staff treat me like a VIP, despite only staying a few days/nights per year.
Location is perfect. Right in the heart of the best parts of the city.
Rooms are traditionally elegant, perfectly clean, excellent beds and linens.
Gerard's ( lounge ) is the perfect refuge for the affluent or the splurgers, alike.
Food in the restaurant or room service, is always excellent.
I am born/raised in Vancouver, but live on V.Island. I try to book a Grand Suite, when available, for just a few dollars more than a regular room.
I wont stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RDRCABO

Dear Guest,
It is so wonderful to hear that you have been enjoying your stays. We can’t thank you enough for your compliments for the service and amenities at the hotel. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you many more times.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We really loved this cozy little hotel. Especially liked the gathering/lounge area off the lobby and heard GREAT live music one night. Cozy fireplace and comfortable and inviting nooks.
The rooms were comfortable - great linens. It is definately an older hotel but extremely charming.
I would stay again for sure!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have stayed at Sutton place 3 times in the past 3 years and the service has gone steadily down hill. We booked a stay in a one bedroom suite, and on arrival we were told we had been "upgraded" to a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was dirty, as in dust buildup behind the furniture, and very dated. The cupboards smelled like an old camper van. I understand that these suites are not the same as the more traditional rooms on the other side,but this was possibly the worst room in the building. When we talked to the front desk staff about changing rooms we were told that a movie shoot had gone longer than expected and all the one bedroom suites were taken. Therefore the room we had originally booked was not available. We were given no other option. We cancelled the rest of our nights and changed hotels without a single attempt by any of the Sutton Place staff to rectify the situation or apologize. Needless to say, we will have to find a new favourite place to stay in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I've stayed at the Sutton Hotel twice. The first time was Christmas Eve several years ago and it was very nice. The small gifts were a very nice touch. But the last time we had someone enter our room in the middle of the night. There are no security chains on the door. When I phoned the front desk, the explanation was that it was a security guard escorting a woman to her room - she had left her keys inside. The explanation seemed odd as keys can be provided by the front desk. I mentioned it again when we left, the man at the front desk laughed! I mentioned it in the survey from the hotel and there was no follow-up. It made for an uncomfortable sleep and we won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank damgirl72
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stay in Vancouver regularly for shopping/concerts etc. This was our first stay at The Sutton and it was very good. Rooms very clean comfortable and quiet-, staff helpful and pleasant. Valet parking efficient. Absolutely no complaints. The hotel is a bit tired in places but for the price we paid, I was very happy. We booked with hotwire for $150 which was a bargain. Christmas decorations are lovely and add to the festive spirit.

Room Tip: We had a great view of Burrard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I use to live downtown Vancouver a few blocks away and I always wanted to stay in this hotel as I was a poor student..- So when my husband decided to take me back to propose in the city I love so much - we fluked out and ended up here when booking on a third party website.
The staff were great to us and after being stuck on the highway for 8 hours as it was closed due to a snowstorm we were happy to get in to the hotel.
Be prepared to pay for parking on top of your room fees. No complaints here. I was happy this hotel lived up to what I imagined it would be.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple