“What a beautiful hotel !!!”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arranged to stay at the Sutton Place to be tourists in our own city.
The hotel was amazing not only was it beautiful, it's location was perfect and the staff were so helpful.Though it was busy the staff were professional,calm and quick.
It appears the Sutton Place strives to hire people who provide exceptional customer service. I think this is what makes staying there a wonderful experience.

ps ..the room service prices were not outlandish but I do wish the parking charge was a bit more reasonable.

Room Tip: The east facing room overlook the street with the bustle of the city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMW2712
Write a ReviewReviews (3,223)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spent 2 nights at The Sutton, honestly, I wish I lived here!
The Hotel is all class, elegance and opulence.
Its far from cheap but the finer things in life never are.
Look around on Hotels.com, TripAdvisor, or other search engines to get a good deal, you should never pay the advertised room rate ($500+CAN), unless of course you can deduct it as an expense...LOL
Its within walking distance to most Vancouver attractions and nightlife.
You could not ask for more.

Room Tip: Rooms facing southwest have nice views down Burrard st. High floors are nice too.
Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2014

That headline is not a criticism, I'm just saying that if you want the traditional hotel experience, you get it here: doormen (you couldn't open the door yourself if you tried, they always get to it first!, vast foyer area and seating, nice bar and dining options, on-site spa and grooming place, lots of rooms, and a turn-down service. Check-in was swift and professional. I was asked if I needed help with my bag straight away. I was there on a Hotwire deal so I thought that may relegate me to the annals of the hotel (eg. "exclusive basement suite" as one hotel called it) but no, I was treated like a regular client which was good to see.

The rooms contain what you'd expect - nice bathroom with nice toiletries, a cable to dry clothes on over the bath, fully stocked (and I mean fully, try getting any of your own stuff in there) mini bar fridge, coffee maker and kettle for tea, big TV, big window area giving great views of downtown, and some sofa chairs. They also have a DVD player and an iPod player / radio for those who wish to bring such devices with them.

To the criticisms - it felt like I was trying to be squeezed for cash at every turn. Internet? $14 for basic service. If you want to have a connection which would work for streaming ie. almost ANYTHING these days with Skype, YouTube etc, that's $2 extra. You get 2-3 tea bags each day and some whitener/sugar and 2 coffee bags for filter. If you want more than that? $2.50 each. Water? Most hotels these days will give at least one complimentary bottle. Here? $6. When you are located in the middle of downtown, and there's free internet over the road at a coffee house, and supermarket just next door which sells a multitude of tea bags for $2.50, does the hotel really need to operate in this space? Either their guests are of the income levels that paying for these things is nothing, or their guests are those who wouldn't think to venture out in search of these things, but for me, I just feel like hotels these days need to include some things as a given. Internet, and tea bags, I think form part of that.

Location - as mentioned, you are in the centre of downtown so it is a great place to stay. There's a big supermarket, and all the coffee houses you could want for. Two blocks from the Skytrain station Vancouver City Centre, so very easy to get to.

Checkout was quick and efficient - and it's at Noon so that extra hour from what I usually encounter was much appreciated. It was so efficient that ironically, I was not offered a cab by the front desk nor the doormen. They were happy to open the doors for me and let me wander into the street.

Would I stay here again? To impress, yes. For location, yes. Room service is good and their menu is broader than most hotels. Pricing is not bad either, though when in downtown, there are a multitude of street vendor and cheaper brasserie type places for meals. It's just those incidental charges which annoy and detract from what otherwise, was a good experience.

ps - be wary of what deal sites say are offered by the hotel. The "self service laundry" mentioned was attractive to me, as it was nearing the end of my trip and I had a load to do. No such thing, unless self-service is defined as being able to put your clothes into a laundry bag and then paying through the nose to have them do it for you. I found my own nearby.

Room Tip: Request a room near the fire escape. They are always the quietest and away from the service and clie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cheemar
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stay at the Sutton Place regularly for business and personal overnight trips in Vancouver.

The hotel is always immaculately maintained and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Location is ideal for shopping and getting to Vancouver's financial hub.

I have stayed overnight with two young children as well, and the hotel was perfectly set up to host a young family.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Impressive hotel, in the center of downtown Vancouver. Immediate and courteous greeting by the valet and doorman who both welcomed us to the hotel. Quick check in with pleasant and friendly staff. To my amazement while looking around the lobby I recognized several Hollywood stars and then noticed the person standing beside me at check in was a hollywood actress. I guess this hotel is one of the IN places to stay in Vancouver. We were provided with a nice King suite on the 21st floor with a wonderful view. The room and bed was very comfortable and the bathroom although dated was elegant, clean and bright. Overall I would rate this as a first class experience and recommend the hotel if you are staying in Vancouver.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

It was a while ago, but we stayed here a week for business. While we were run ragged by work, the Sutton Place made everything smooth and easy. The rooms were perfect, the business rooms away from the rest of the hotel, so we weren't disturbed, the restaurant and bar and room service all so pleasant, and the business office saved my life. Not to mention the superb concierge and the hotel's driver. If business travel could all be like this...ahhh!

Room Tip: High for the views!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Just got back from a two night stay at the Sutton Place.
We used the valet parking when we got there and the valet and bell boys were excellent, very polite and prompt. A friend and I booked our rooms through one of those discount websites and got an excellent deal. When we checked in though the front desk guy tried to charge me an extra $15 a night for the king room and my friend wasn't charged anything. I told him I wasn't paying that and he didn't bring it up again and he booked me into a king room. Then there is a charge for internet usage as well. I didn't pay for that either, I didn't need it that badly but I just found it really cheap that I was there 5 minutes and everything was an upgrade charge so be aware of that.
The room was clean and had the most comfortable bed, sheets and pillows ever. I loved it. Our view was looking right at Robson st. which I also loved. It was a great place to sit and drink coffee in the morning and people watch. The rooms have a small fridge/mini bar. We were told we could take the drinks out and put our own stuff in to keep it cold, which we did.
Overall the room is comfortable, but it was dated. I don't think its changed since the early 90's. The bathroom is small and tacky as well.
Location couldn't get much better if you are wanting to take in Robson st. Only 1 block over and in the most central part of the street. Easy walk to almost everything downtown.
For the price we paid I think it was a great deal. Although not my most favorite place I've stayed in Vancouver, it was an enjoyable one and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends