“Definitely not 5 star”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is not a 5 star hotel. Old and banged up furniture and furnishings, sloppy housekeeping, and an outdated gym amongst the biggest problems. We only ate breakfast at this hotel, and whilst the quality was OK it was not good value for money. If this was rated 3.5 or 4 star and was priced to match that rating it would probably get a more favorable review from us. On the plus side, the location is awesome, right near Robson Street, and half way between the waterfront and Stanley Park (easy walk to both). In this price range I'd recommend the Four Seasons instead.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,200)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is our 4th year coming here, staff are very helpful, hotel is centrally located to shopping, pubs & restaurants. We walked to English Bay & caught the water taxi over to Granville Market. Had drinks & appies at Bridges (fresh lemonade & Sky Vodka) mmm. We pay the extra to get the early check in and late check out and that gives us 2 days to explore & relax. We love that there is a livingroom & kitchen where we can relax with a glass of wine, listen to some music & plot out our day. Lots of options going on in Vancouver, check out insidevancouver.ca to see all the events going on in the city. After walking around all day went to the spa where we all had massages, so relaxing. As there were 4 of us we appreciated having the two bathrooms to get ready to out at night. We walked around at night to see what we felt like for dinner, lots of choices! We ended up at Milestones where our waiter was a Seth Rogan clone who looked & sounded like him. We asked if he would let us record him saying a line & then laugh so we could send out snap chat, which he did, totally hilarious. Sunday morning one of the staff had recommended Bellagio Cafe which again was in walking distance, had a great brunch. They had an outside patio as well which looked like it would provide you with good people watching. After brunch went back to the hotel, got our bathing suits on and went down to the pool. Only 1 other couple there, lounged around outside, brought our music with us and went for a swim. This was a great way to wrap up our weekend. Check out was quick, valet had already retrieved our car by the time we had walked out. Great girls weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LiVil
Reviewed 13 June 2014

this is my second stay at this hotel and I find it disappointing this time. Having been at other comparable hotels in the area, I can say that this one will disappoint you. The rooms are dated, lobby is boring. I must say that the concierge and bell hops are more cordial and service oriented.

The spa/pool is located further away from the hotel, so be prepared to awkwardly pass through the lobby with your bathing suits or in your bathrobe to get there.

The restaurant is currently being renovated so, it is a nuisance to see construction underway.

The entrance to the hotel is narrow so be careful of the incoming cars.

Ice machine is not only noisy but it broke down. As per customer service, you will be advised to go to a different floor to "try" and get ice - if they are working.

Not sure why I chose this one this time. Spending a week at this hotel has been boring to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank comp-aliance
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had such a wonderful time here for 3 days in June. The check-in process was painless. The hotel lobby was very nice with plenty of places to sit relax while waiting for others. They constantly had 2 concierges available and were in the process of training others... Even with 2 on duty the lines go long and so others from the hotel jumped in to help shorten the line by assisting with whatever needed to get done. I had 4 important work documents they printed for me, let me sign, and then scanned and emailed them to me for no charge, really nice!

The rooms have a really giant windows with wonderful views. Comfortable beds with nightly turn down service if you chose. Bathrooms are average but nice.

The hotel also has a very nice gym which I used twice during my visit and a pool that looked nice but was not used when I was there.

Cons: Internet is $15 a day (but you can connect up to 5 devices) and I guess at least one of the restaurants is being remodeled (didnt bother us plenty of other options within 2 blocks). Parking is a bit expensive at $40/day.

Room Tip: Parking in the lot literally directly across the street is $20/day but has no in/out privileges.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank taistrike
Reviewed 10 June 2014

While visiting Vancouver for 5 days I had the opportunity to stay at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver and found it to be consistent with all the positive reviews. Prior to my arrival I had emailed the hotel with a request and question and they promptly responded. Although check in was a bit delayed due to house keeping being a bit behind schedule, the front desk staff were fantastic - professional, helpful and tried everything they could to get me settled. Overall the room, bathroom, and public areas were spotless clean, bed was soft and comfortable, decent water pressure, and the hotel staff were truly outstanding.

Pros: Location, service.
Cons: Acoustic insulation between adjoining rooms can be improved.

Would definitely return to the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. From checkin to checkout this hotel is top notch. Staff is friendly throughout the hotel, even those you pass in the hallway. Entry, front desk and concierge area is very beautiful and will maintained. There was some construction going on next door outside of the hotel but you did not know it once you walked in. The bell captain and valet were very friendly and accommodating and knew the area very well. Most restaurants downtown were within walking distance, if you want to walk to the water it is about a mile but a very nice and safe walk.

The room was well proportioned, maintained and very clean.

All in all I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Vancouver that plans to be in the downtown area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Normally stay at the Hyatt when I am in Vancouver but expedia had a deal and I was feeling adventurous. It was just the one night and I was picking up a visitor from the airport. To begin, the hotel was everything you would expect it to be. Staff were very friendly, place was impeccably clean and it is super central in Vancouver. To me it felt very faux chic and somewhat kitsch. If you want that - great place to stay. The only thing that really bothered me was that they charged for wifi. This totally cheapened the place. End of the day, room was very comfortable, had a great sleep, but there was no wow effect which would make me use them again over the Hyatt.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple