“Excellent Stay at the Sutton Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Parksville, B.C.
“Excellent Stay at the Sutton Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

My wife and I stayed one night at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver. We actually had an excellent experience. We booked through the hotel's website and selected an Executive Suite, rather than the regular room, as the price difference was negligible. The suite consisted of 2 rooms, with the bedroom separated from the main area. Each room featured an enormous flatscreen TV, and nice appointments. The bathroom had lots of room, a separate tub and shower.

We were there to meet with friends attending a conference at the hotel. They were staying in the Residence side, in a two bedroom unit. They found that our room was actually nicer than theirs. They had stayed previously at the hotel in a regular room, and pronounced ours to be a substantial step upwards.

The location of the hotel is ideal, we were able to walk anywhere in the downtown area with little effort. We had breakfast there as well, and it was the typical hotel buffet, not bad, though fairly expensive for what we got. The service from the desk and concierge was very good.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, provided you can get an upgraded room.

1 Thank Hazley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

I stayed for one night having taken a gamble with Hotwire. I could not have been happier with the outcome. I had a nice room on the 20th floor with a king sized bed and flat screen TV. The bath wasn't very comfortable as it has a vertical back. Bathroom amenities were by Gilcrest and Soames and were all packaged in sensible bottles with wide brims- not the usual hotel offerings where you have to squeeze for ages to get out a small blob and so much is wasted. There were also bath bombs and salts on offer for sale. Check in was efficient and courteous- no mention of the fact that I was paying a low rate. I stayed in five different hotels that week and the Sutton Place was the only which offered turn down service (and the chamber maid was very friendly as well). It was also the only one which did not offer free internet but I didn't really mind paying the access fee. If I had paid the rack rate I would probably have felt differently. I didn't try out any of the restaurants or the spa which is located on the mezzanine floor of the residence block so a bit of a trek for hotel guests. The decor is elegant. I am told that the hotel is a bit of a haunt for celebrities but the clientele was more cruise ship during my visit. The location near Robson Street is great and there is a supermarket across the road from the hotel. It was a nice conclusion to my BC trip and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank frequentflyerLondon
Alpena, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

We stayed in the Sutton Place "post cruise". We arrived very early in the morning and were greeted by a friendly doorman and equally friendly and gracious reception clerk...who had no trouble locating our reservation (also via Hotwire). We did not experience any degradation in service or attitude due to the nature of our reservation. The reception clerk was friendly, knowlegeable, and did her best to accomodate our early arrival. We left for a day-long self-tour of Vancouver and returned mid-afternoon to find our room ready and our luggage in our room. I found the decor to be clean, pleasing, and soothing (maybe because I like beige, brown and maroon tones!) I used the business center and found it well equipped and reasonable (though not free). The area surrounding the hotel was very pleasant to walk around and there were many restaurant options. I read many reviews deriding the "$300 rack rate" and how this hotel was not a $300-a-night hotel---yet none of those reviewers paid $300. I felt very pleased with the service, decor, amenities and ambiance--for what I paid. I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

Sutton Place is in a great convenient location and has the charm of a European hotel. The service was friendly, and all of our needs were attended to in an efficient manner, whether if it was express pressing at midnight or otherwise. During our stay, the valet dented the bumper of our rental car one night and they switched the car for us very efficiently, and assumed the damages. I liked how they reacted quickly to this matter.

I cant stress the benefit of the location-- just two blocks from Robson, and a Japadog hot dog stand outside of the hotel which is delicious. You have a great supermarket and a movie theater across the street from the hotel as well.

The rooms, while comfortable and clean, are on the older side. We switched to a suite midway through, which seemed to have a bit of wear and tear as well. The lighting in the bathroom definitely leaves much to be desired. The premium rooms, which are supposed to be a higher category, are just alittle bigger than a regular room, but not much different. Note that early check in is hardly accomodated so arrive after check in time if possible.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
leics uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

This was the last hotel that we stayed in on our trip. We were expecting a class hotel but were bitterly disappointed. We had a 1 bed roomed suite on the 11th floor, which was very noisy this was put down to the air conditioning system. No kettle, and no cereal bowls and the bath was very discoloured. All corridors were also very dark and dingy. All the other hotels on our trip offered free internet connection but here at the most expensive hotel we had to pay extra for this service. The hot tub was out of order for all of our stay and as a consequence we never used the facilities. Doormen were all very pleasant, maybe the hotel is better than Le Grande Residence. We won't be recommending this hotel to anybody, eventhough it was in a good location.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

We live in vancouver and decided to do a weekend getaway in our own city for Labour Day. We also HAD the intention of having a reception party here. We thought this would be a great way for us to have a mini vacay, while checking out the hotel for our reception. I definitely have seconds thoughts. As soon as we checked the lady at the front desk pulled up our reservation and in a condescending tone said "oh, this is a hotwire reservation", she then proceed to refer to our reservation as the "lowest" type. It wasn't until we brought it to her attention that she realized she was being offensive.

If you considered a hotwire reservation low-rate then why does your company advertise there? The room costed $175 on hotwire but when I checked the sutton place rate it was not much different,...but the initial service we received was terrible.
What is it with front desk staff having a chip on their shoulder?...I highly doubt any of them would book a suite for the Hotwire rate and much less the rack rate. Sutton Place- I would not go again. And I will be checking out Hotel Van and Pan Pacific for the reception.

In addition, the hotel needs a re-vamp especially if they want to call themselves a 5 star. The decor is very 90s...beige and brown walls. I'd say this hotel is worth $150/night only because of the condo style - full kitchen. Tiny Pool!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TrulyCanadian786
Ventura, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

I'm not quite sure why this is a five star hotel, versus some of the other good hotels in Vancouver, unless it is the friendly service. From the valet's greeting to a cheerful desk clerk who gave us a very early check in to the helpful concierge, everyone was happy to help out.

The room was very clean, quiet and well appointed. The wifi (not free) worked well in the room and in the business center. The hotel is a bit farther from the waterfront than we expected.

For the price we paid through Hotwire, this was a very good bargain. It goes on the "recommend" list.

Oh, and don't pass up the bakery on the ground floor. Killer sweets.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple