“Refined European luxury, very comfortable and very well kept.”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Excellent property, great location. The staff was very accomodating and pleasant. My only isuue is that depending on your room rate you have to pay for Wi-Fi service. In 2010 in a luxury property Wi-Fi should be complimentary for all, this policy should be changed. When I mentioned to the front desk that low end hotel chains offer free Wi-Fi his response was that it's how they attract people to stay with them. Hardly an acceptable or even sensible answer. They will remove the charges from your bill if you ask but it seems like a lot to go through, just offer the free Wi-Fi to begin with and cut out the cat and mouse games. All-in-all, great property and very highly recommended. Would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,224)

Reviewed 15 May 2010

Nothing bad to say about this hotel. I usually stay in 4star or better, and this did not disappoint. Our suite had two separate bedrooms, two bathrooms, living and dining room, it was like a modern apartment, very homey. Great walking distance to local attractions. Restaurant was very good too.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We purchased a flight hotel package, fairly last minute, and were very happy with the results. The rooms were very nice, opulent, and clean. This location was right in the middle of the shopping dining mecca. There was a restaurant and bar on site which is always convenient. Overall the service from check-in to check out was very good. There was a snooty vibe throughout, but I think that it is part of the image they are promoting. Not my scene, but I think it would appeal to someone that might consider themselves a jet setter. They have a chocolate bar, that was just too much for us, but the wait staff only charged us 1/2 price, without us even asking or complaining. Very nice. The only 2 things that I found slightly irritating was the mention of charges from the mini bar, that we did not partake in. They did not push it when we said that we did not even drink the bottled water, but it made me feel like they should inventory better, or not try to rip me off. Another incident occurred in the onsite bar called "Girard's". I went down for a Dirty Gin Martini. A red headed female bartender made the drink, and later asked me how I liked it. I would not have mentioned it had she not asked, but I said "Good, but just a little too dirty". The real truth was that it was like adding a teaspoon of gin to a shot glass of salt. I was very gracious about it. She responded with "Really? Well, I can make you another, and put the dirty on the side, but seriously, I hardly put any in there." Hmmmm. I have only imbibed in about 200 of these babies through out my life, usually paying at least a couple of dollars less, and I think my perception as a paying customer is valuable. I hate it when I am on vacation, spending a boat load of money, relaxed and loving life, and then, like a brick in the face, I have to apologize for not liking a crappy drink. Needless to say, everyday after, I peeked into the bar, left if she was there, and spent my hard earned loonies somewhere else. I would recommend this Hotel. I would even recommend the bar when Walter is working. He makes a fantastic dirty, and makes you feel like a valued customer!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leprechauna
SuttonDOSM, Director of Sales at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

Hello Leprechauna - I was very disappointed to read your review and see that you were not satisfied with our version of a 'dirty martini'. While I have not imbibed hundreds of dirty martini's like you (although my brother probably has, that's his drink of choice) I am going to forward this review on to our Director of Food & Beverage and I am going to suggest we line up a few samples of the martini so that we can get it right, and consistent. And if you are ever in Vancouver again, please contact me and you and I can sity down to a martini together, and hopefully you will give it your approval.

Reviewed 14 May 2010

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for 199.00 which for downtown Vancouver is a good deal. Hotels.com, etc. were booking like hotels downtown for 269.00 and up for a weekday stay. Hotwire advertises this hotel as a 5 star but it's really more 4 star with a possible plus. The hotel has a lovely facade, elegant lobby, and 24hr concierge service which is unusual.
The service was very good. We were only there for one night so we didn't have a chance to check out the fitness facilities or pool.
We had a standard room with a king bed and our window faced a residential street facing the balcony side of several condos but it was very quiet. The bathroom was a pleasant surprise with a free standing tub and separate shower stall with a LOT of counter space. I felt like the amenities were fine (Gilchrist and Soames) and in line with a 4 star hotel. The decor could use a face-lift but really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be having read some of the previous reviews. I will agree however, the bed was old, low to the ground (it almost looks like the box spring is missing!) and hard. In this era of 'pillow menus' etc, even at Hampton Inns, it's strange to just have two standard pillows on the bed. If the bed and bedding had been more plush I would have then said this was a 5 star. The air-conditioning is a bit noisy but my husband likes white noise to sleep so it wasn't really an issue for us.
The real reason to stay here is for the location which is Fabulous. Right on the corner of Burard and Robson which has some of the best shopping and restaruants in the area and Gas Town is just a short walk down the hill toward the water.
Some reviews complained of being nickled and dimed in regards to valet, etc. Staying at a 4+ hotel involves tipping, taxes, sometimes a 'facility fee' (not here however) and valet parking so just know going in that you're getting a good rate on the room but the hotel stay is still going to cost you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I am not a fan of the decor but the professional & efficient service of the hotel makes up for the lack of personality of the hotel. The rooms tend to be a bit small but very well maintained. The fitness centre needs a major facelift. The location is great.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BluMartini

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our hotel. You mentioned that you are not a fan of the decor of the hotel, and I thought I would give you a little background as to how our look and feel came about. We were built in 1985 to coincide with Expo '86 in Vancouver, and were originally part of the Le Meridien chain of hotels. As such, the original decor was very much classical French European, with a warm and 'old world' charm throughout. While we no longer maintain the affiliation with Le Meridien (we are an independent chain with properties in Chicago, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver) we have kept the look and feel, partly as a way to differentiate ourselves from other hotels in the city, but also to maintain our sense of identity. We are all very proud of how we present ourselves, and this is what you obviously picked up in the sense of professionalism you witnessed among our people.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

This is a nice hotel, but would not say it is a 5 star. The staff service is excellent, no doubt. However, the amenities of the rooms are mediocre - the bathrooms are quite dated. You also hear noises through the walls (water/pipes/AC). And the windows are quite thin, preventing us from a good night's sleep as you hear all ambulances and cops, honking through the night.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank somelo
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Stayed here for two nights on business. Very comfortable and elegant rooms. Excellent room service and housekeeping. Very knowledgeable staff. One of the few pricey hotels with free Wi-Fi. Can't beat that. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business