“NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
phoenix oregon
“NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We arrived at the hotel and were given the option of having a handicapped accessible rooms. Since I have multiple sclerosis and had had a wonderful experience at the Fairmont in Lake Louise I accepted. The room was inferior with an incredibly hard bed and with the noise from a nearby elevator proved to be awful. The hotel did offer to move us to another room but we had unpacked and were too tired to take them up on their offer. the next morning the room had an incredibly terrible smell of asphalt which the hotel explained to us was due to a roof replacement in another building. They get comp us 40% of the dinner bill but $40 with the remaining bill of $300 left us happy in our decision to leave a day early.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Excellent hotel in a central and safe location. Rooms, while a little small, were clean and well appointed. The breakfast (only meals we had there) was very good and the all the staff were pleasant and helpful. Good value for money. Recommended

• Stayed May 2010
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I really enjoyed the Sutton Place Hotel. The staff service was wonderful and I felt really well treated from the moment the valet opened my taxi door all the way to my room when I had my luggage delivered. The only thing I was disappointed about was housekeeping. They were all very nice but I never felt any extra special from them and with it being listed as a 5 star hotel I was a little disappointed. I would have a glass of wine at night (wine that I bought) and they would take the used glass but not leave a new one, one day I left my towels hanging so I could reuse them (to save water) but when housekeeping came through they just left them hanging not straighting them out, they did not tidy up, so little things like that. I know that sounds picky but at a 5 star I expected more detail.

My bed was very comfortable and not low to the ground like another reviewer mentioned.
I used room service twice and had their Sutton burger which was excellent. I enjoyed a dirty martini in the bar and thought is was so good I got a second :) I did not have breakfast at the hotel (thought is was too pricey for what you got) and went to the IGA market on the corner and bought things to have in my room. I did not use the pool or workout room so I can not comment.

The one thing they should change is charging for their wifi. I do not understand why they charge. I spoke with other people at the conference i was at about where they were staying and all of them were getting free wifi and they were also staying at high-end hotels. In this day and age 2 things a nice hotel should give their guest is free wi-fi and bottled water!

Staff was very helpful. I broke my phone charger and they had one I could use throughout my stay, they recommended the Italian restaurant across the street which was excellent.

Location was great, right in downtown, walking distance to just about everything. Robson St. shopping right around the corner, convention center a little over a half a mile away. I would recommend this hotel. I was able to get a 2 day trolley pass for the price of one. I recommend this, it is a great way to see the city and get around. I walked A LOT and sometimes it was nice to take a rest and listen about the history of the city.

I was there for a conference and spent 2 extra days to play tourist. I will be coming back with my husband and would have no problem staying at the Sutton again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank TRieck
SuttonDOSM, Director of Sales at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 11 June 2010
Thank you for your review and your comment on our staff. I truly do believe we have the best staff in town - from the moment you arrive at the front door, we hope to make your stay something special. You mentioned about the wifi charge, and the fact that your colleagues at other hotels mentioned not paying for it there. Now, I can't speak for the other hi-end hotels, but I'm pretty sure it may have been a situation similar to what we have here, whereby if you join their loyalty program you get free wifi. Similar to all of the hi-end hotels, we too have a loyalty program, called Sutton Prestige. Membership in Sutton Prestige includes free wifi during your stay, as well as various other 'perks'. What I would suggest you do prior to your next stay with us is to visit our website and sign yourself up - you'll receive free wifi and a host of other valuable offers.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel after disembarked from an Alaska cruise. We arrived the hotel very early (9am) and we were not able to check-in at that time. However, we were able to leave the luggage with the concierge so we could come back to later to check into the room. When we came back at around 1:30pm, the front desk told us that the room was ready and that our luggage were already in the room. I was very satisfy with the service. The lobby is nice. The room is also decorated nicely. The only complain I have is that the bathroom is a bit dated with small ceramic tile wall and not-so-deep bathtub. The location is great - 10 minutes to skytrain and is in the center of the downtown. 5 min to coffee shop with free wifi...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whimsical_sd
Reviewed 6 June 2010

This is billed as a five star hotel that celebs use. It isn't and they don't. The rooms are much more akin to a three/four star, pretty small with a very small bathroom and no separate bath and shower. The decor in the lobby and bar is very decadent but the rest, especially the pool area is in desparate need of a spruce.

The location is ideal for exploring vancouver but there must be better hotels than this for the price given the sheer number located within five minutes of the Sutton Place.

• Stayed June 2010
Estevan, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I've stayed at the Sutton Place on numerous occassions and have always had a great experience. The rooms vary, if you have a single queen room, it's nice and comfortable, but seem a little outdated. Their business suites are excellent. Very spacious, well laid out and very comfortable. The apartment suites they also have are top notch as well. The staff are very impressive, everyone from the valet to the concierge are extremely professional and knowledgeable. Having stayed there numerous time, the staff always remembered who you were, greeted me by name, knew my wife and daughter. It was like a home away from home. One thing to expect is that parking is roughly 21 dollars a day, so that can add up on someone. It's a very classy hotel, operated in the right way and well worth treating yourself too.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We stayed one night in a 2 bedroom suite with pull-out sofa. Comfortable, but cramped kitchen/dining area. Fairly pricey for what we got. Lounge is very nice but pricey.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family