“Good spot for a coffee” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 345 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Trendy neighborhood lined with ethnic cafes and fashionably bohemian boutiques.
Kelowna, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good spot for a coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a great place to meet up with some friends, hang out, walk the streets, sit down at one of the many coffee shops and people watch for awhile. The Commercial Skytrain Station is usually crowded with people, they have a bunch of stores/shops to eat at, banks nearby. People do their own thing on Commercial, and its best to let them be.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ColleenA8

• Korean first
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Love it here, but it grows on you..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

So, I visited commercial drive for the first time in 2011, and I was indifferent to it.
"WHY would I come here? Kensington Market (my current home) is SO MUCH COOLER."

In 2012, I found myself moving away from the Market in Toronto, and to Vancouver. It was really a coin toss between Kits and Commercial drive. We picked commercial drive because we wanted to be around the queer culture.
Now, The Drive isn't somewhere I'd put on a "must-see" list if you're on a tight budget. You don't "see" the Drive like you would Kensington Market in Toronto, or some of the other neighbourhoods in Vancouver (like Kits). You "experience" The Drive.
There's not much to "see," but there's lots to experience.
Grab a coffee in a cafe, and strike up a conversation with someone.
Sit in the park, and join in on someone's jam session.
Find someone you think looks cool in the park ("cool" is subjective - this is one of the most diverse places I've ever been, and you will find someone who meets your unique brand of cool in gradview park). Tell anybody in the park that it's your first time on The Drive, and they'll probably let you hang out with them.
Grab food from all over the world (which is notably absent in Vancover, compared to Toronto, in many other parts of the city).
Walk around the streets, and check out the amazing backyard farms. Ask someone to show you around. They will.

If you have time, spend at least 2-3 days here. If you are "passing through," try chatting with some of the people who live here. Commercial drive isn't about the shops.
Commercial drive is about the people, and not the places. here, you'll find young people, artists trying to make it, old people who have lived here for 60 years, people of all linguistic/cultural backgrounds, hippies, computer programers, lawyers, students, bank tellers...everybody. The one thing they all have in common is a love for this neighbourhood, and the desire to live a bit more communally.

So, yeah, if you just walk around, you'll think it's awful here. I was bummed out when I first moved here, and walked around. I was unimpressed when I visited. But, now, I call this place home. Any tourist who has come to stay with us on the drive for more than a few days has been enchanted by it.
Come visit us. We'll like you, and we'll be happy to see you. :)

Visited November 2013
9 Thank smfische
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Arty, mellow hippy town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We visited various areas of Vancouver before settling on a place to live, but I think it's safe to say Commercial Drive stole our hearts from the get-go.

I have SO much love for this place! Something we noticed travelling around was how each area of the city has a particular feel. If the bohemian hippy lifestyle resonates with you, Commercial Drive is definitely the place to be.

A particularly good place to come if you want to relax, unwind, and just take time out to appreciate life (...man), and home to a fantastic range of restaurants, not to mention some beautiful parks.

Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Why bother”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

If I were on a tight schedule, I would have been regretful for the time I spent visiting places such as commercial drive, Gastown, Granville Island and Chinatown. I enjoy nature the best and I don't care to see small independent shops. I was tempted to visit those places as they were high rated attractions and I had enough time. I thought I might find something interesting and special about them. That didn't happen.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank L0ve2TravelCanada
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Funky central”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Commercial Drive is the place to go for great food (especially italian and organic vegetarian) and for it's unique ambiance. Take an outside table at The Havana restaurant to watch the passing parade.

3 Thank Donald R