“Excellent service - but no coffee!!!”

Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #15 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, Canada
“Excellent service - but no coffee!!!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

The location can't be beat if you need to be in the downtown core: this is one of the closest hotels to the financial and legal district. I was attending a conference and had left home in a hurry - was wearing rather dusty jeans and a jacket and brought only the bare necessities for a one-night stay in an oversized purse. Consequently, I felt rather self-conscious arriving at the lobby of the Four Seasons looking like a suburban mom who'd just finished gardening, but no worries: I got the same warm welcome at the front desk and was escorted to the elevator. Like a previous poster, I was a bit surprised that the elevators aren't secured by card access.

I had a deluxe king room. It was very spacious, a corner room with a long entry hallway, the room out of view of the shared hotel hall, and a separated alcove for the bed and second TV. The bed was incredibly comfortable! They have really done this right. The work desk was also very good - I was working at it until nearly midnight and no back or shoulder discomfort from the chair/table combination. There is free wifi in the room and for a charge you can get high speed wifi. I found the basic was fine for surfing but I presume you'd want the premium if you were streaming video.

The bathroom was tiny (typical shallow hotel bathtub with combo shower), which was the norm when this hotel was built. Seemed odd in comparison to the very spacious room, but such is life. Room furnishings bland but pleasant. Two flat screen TVs and a DVD player. To my chagrin: no coffee maker! I was really disappointed by this. I dragged myself into my dusty jeans right after my morning shower so I could run down to buy a coffee to sip while reading my paper, and found a coffee, tea and pastry service set up in the lobby. Okay that mollified me somewhat, but guests are not told of this amenity and I would really have preferred to put on my nice fresh bathrobe after a shower, and stayed in my room with my paper and a coffee before going out to face the world. When I went back down at 8:30 the coffee service was cleared away, so I have no idea how long it's offered.

The fourth floor hosts a fitness center with an indoor/outdoor pool, beautiful lounge chairs around the pool deck and bowls of fresh fruit and complimentary ice water. Had the day been warmer, I would have happily set up down there.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pacifica
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Four Seasons Vancouver in a standard king room at $229/night. The rate seemed acceptable for the room but wouldn't pay more.

The interior of the hotel is very nice and the rooms are well appointed at the price point. The bed/bedding were quite cozy.

The bathroom is standard hotel...nothing fancy but the colors were nice.

Reception and the concierge were quite helpful. We alerted them that we had a child who needed a crib and it, along with our baggage, appeared in our room less than a half hour later. The crib was completely assembled with sheets, bumper, etc. and we were also provided with toiletries and a diaper pail which were all most appreciated.

We ate breakfast and dinner (kids eat free) often at Yew. All meals were excellent and we loved coming here each day. A shining star in this hotel.

However, after spending 4 days at the Fairmont in Seattle, we were disappointed with the colder indoor/outdoor pool and small locker rooms. The indoor/outdoor pool idea makes sense for places that are mostly warm. Vancouver, however, is not warm in May and we feel shortchanged on the pool. Although the pool is heated, it's not warm enough with the cooler weather outside and our kids were often shivering.

After our disappointing pool experience, I actually spent the time to go across the street to the Rosewood Georgia (that's how disappointed I was) to see about switching hotels. The rooms/pool here are excellent/near amazing and would have switched hotels if we had more time to cancel at Four Seasons.

Thanks for having all HD channels! Big plus. The only one to have full HD after staying at the Fairmont (Seattle) and Ritz Carlton (HMB).

In the end, I would prefer the Rosewood but thank all at the Four Seasons for their help and service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FromPacifica
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2013

staff were friendly at all times but the room had 2 pots of vinegar sitting on the carpet and on the chest of drawers when i checked in - must have been to cover up the beer and wine fest held in my room the nite before and the cleaning staff forgot to clean up . Certainly ruined the initial ambience of luxury i expected for my anniversary stay with my beloved.

Room Tip: make sure head of housekeeping has checked room before entering
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kari K, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear rob a,

First, happy anniversary to you and your loved one. Second, I am terribly disappointed we started your experience here in the hotel on the wrong foot. This was completely unintentional and on behalf of the entire team at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver please accept our sincere apologies.

We have had a focal discussion regarding your visit with our Housekeeping team in a sincere effort to learn about how we can prevent situations like your from reoccurring in the future. Our efforts are usually extremely well received by our guests from product to service experiences. Obviously in you case we fell far from our mark.

Rest assured that we will work diligently at improving the guest experience and hope that at some you will give us another try.

Kind regards,
Kari Koskela
Hotel Manager
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was a great choice of hotel. The staff were all very personal, warm and incredibly helpful. At no time was anyone less than fantastic. After finding out it was our honeymoon, the staff left us complimentary strawberries with cream, dipping chocolate and chopped pistachios and almonds in our room!

The location is great, just minutes walking distance from the West End, Yaletown, Chinatown and Gastown (and even Stanley Park if you're feeling industrious). It is one street away from the downtown section of Granville Street, which in our experience could get a little seedy at night, but in general we loved where we were.

The restaurant downstairs, Yew, was fantastic as well. Try the Scrambled Egg Whites or the Yew Hash!

1 Thank Wendy B
Alberta
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Every staff member I encountered at this hotel made it seem they would do whatever it took to make your stay as comfortable as possible in a truly genuine way, without giving the impression that they were just there to kiss butt. My room was very large and comfortable, maybe a little dated but still felt luxurious. The only let down was the very small bathroom, but it was functional and kept clean. Definitely not up to standards of newly built hotels but it got the job done. And with service like theirs it doesn't seem to really matter anyway, management must treat the staff well because they all seem to love there jobs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank WorldTraveller570
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons Hotel. One thing that really impressed us was that it was raining most of the time (I guess that's not unusual) and they offered us umbrellas on our way out. Loved that. The staff was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Newmarket
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed here per cruise for two nights and it was our first stay in a Four Seasons so yes, we were excited and had high expectations. Check in was smooth and friendly. The front desk agent came around to give us our room key and showed us to the elevator, helping my wife with her luggage as she is visually impaired. He pressed the button to our floor and wished us a good stay. At no time did we get told about any hotel feature, pool area, etc . The room was nice but not spectacular as we were anticipating. Good amenities and we had a fabulous sleep. The towels were thick and good quality. I am being picky here but when we turned on the shower, the water ran out of the tub faucet as well so not the full force for he shower. This is not a Four Seasons standard I would expect...plus we had dust on our glass tables. I compare this to our stay at Bellagio which to us, was a better hotel in many respects. I was surprised to see no hotel security at guest elevators. At Bellagio you cannot get to your room without a card. The doormen were great and helped my wife by opening doors when they saw us coming. She uses a white cane and they watched for this. Checkout was fast and easy.

This hotel is a great location as are most hotels in the downtown core. I would stay here again but I did not feel the WOW factor we had anticipated and not sure if an experience at another Four Seasons property would be the same or better.

Room Tip: We were in 1015 and it was an ok room but not a great city view. We looked over a rooftop and some o...