“The level of service was exceptional”

Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #15 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Marietta, Georgia
“The level of service was exceptional”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a great hotel, I would stay here again. The level of service is typical Four Seasons, everything was taken care of. The location is perfect, right in the center of the city, and above the City Center SkyTrain station. The hotel is showing signs of age, but that's to be expected. The bathrooms are a bit on the small size, but to renovate would be a huge undertaking. I had a suite on the 10th floor with not much of a view, I requested a higher floor, and they moved me up to the 24th floor with an amazing view of the mountains. It was very quiet, very clean, prompt service. The restaurant, Yew, is amazing.

Room Tip: Request a high floor on the north side
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Kari K, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Jim_In_ATL,

I am thrilled to hear that you were blown away by our exception guest-centric service that our colleagues were able to provide. It is truly inspirational when I read this, and know that our guests still appreciate the fundamental values Mr. Isadore Sharp built this company on – values that we work diligently to uphold every day through every guest interaction.

As you know, we are one of the original properties of the company, and I appreciate you recognizing our efforts in keeping a competitive product. I am also pleased to hear we were able to act upon an opportunity to better your stay by moving you to a higher floor, and that you your dining experience at YEW seafood + bar was amazing! We are just so blessed to have so many great talents in there.

Jim_In_ATL, thank for you kinds words. We hope to have the privilege and pleasure of welcome you back to many more stays at your Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver home.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Upland, California
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I have always held the Four Seasons in high regard. My family and I choose to go to Vancouver because they had a Four Seasons so we knew we would be well taken care of. What a shock. The front desk staff seemed very disorganized but the worst for us was the concierge. Absolutely terrible very unfriendly and unhelpful. One sent us in the wrong direction the other wouldn't help us make reservations for a trip to Victoria. Please be aware that this is not the typical Four Seasons hotel you were expecting. Other guests were also saying similar things at the pool. I am very disappointed and now very cautious of staying at another Four Seasons. They didn't clean the room until after 3:00 Saidthey can clean up until 4:30. How terrible. I will say that the only friendly staff were the bell staff, a bravo to them for living up to the brand name. Please be cautious when booking, rooms are small which is ok if you had great service which we did not and others guests concurred.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cornells8203
Kari K, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Cornells8203,

I so apologize for my tardiness in replying to your online review regarding your stay at the beginning of the month. Thank you again for taking the time to write and share your observations as we learn so much from our guests and their expectations. Notes such as yours allow us to frame up constructive feedback and enable us to better serve our clients.

I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than acceptable and that you have left with a poor impression of us. Clearly, this is not what you or we had envisioned for this trip. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our team in Vancouver.

We will have a focal discussions regarding your visit with each of the team that you had encountered in a sincere effort to learn about how we can be better in the future. Our efforts are usually extremely well received by our guests from product to service experiences. Obviously in you case we fell far from our mark.

Please rest assured that we will work diligently at improving the guest experience and hope that at some point in the future you'll give us another opportunity to try us again.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This hotel is in keeping with the Four Seasons ethos but the decor and environment felt a bit tired and more Holiday Inn than Four Seasons, which is why it gets a 4 out of 5.

The many positives include:

Great staff - superlative concierge service, helpful checking in staff, great restaurant staff (laughed at our corny UK jokes) super friendly and smiley, but the added touch is that they make it feel personal. Extra special mention goes to the main barman (phil I think?) who did great cocktails (some off list) was very knowledgeable and clearly loved his job.

Excellent restaurant - only one restaurant, but was extremely good and had a great atmosphere. Lots of buzz, great cocktails and good food. It had an open kitchen and it was interesting to see the chefs at work ( and they occasionally came over to hand us tasters as we commented on their handiwork!). Breakfast service was also here - again, very good all round.

Very comfortable beds, free Wifi (although only 2 devices which was a bit annoying). Big flat screen TV.

Coming back to the decor and other general niggles though. These are small things but they wouldn't normally happen in a Four Seasons ( or at least I don't think so):

- we stayed 3 nights. A lightbulb had gone out in the bathroom and this wasn't changed for the duration of our stay.

- cheap toiletries in the bathroom. Ok, this isn't a crime and they were OK, I would just have expected better.

- tiny bath, one sink in the bathroom.

- the hotel floors, bedrooms and reception had a general utilitarian smell and feel about it, it needed some personalisation (or probably a designer to spend some time on it). It just felt very perfunctory. Fine if you are on a business trip, but it lacked warmth or personality. The exception to this was the restaurant though, which did have more of the typical Four Seasons pizazz.

So, overall good, but not one of the best Four Seasons.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear HHFoodie,

Thank you for your candid feedback.

It seems like we really "got you right" at YEW seafood + bar, and that there are some areas we will need to revisit and refocus on from the room perspective. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and we will follow-up with the departments involved.

As one of the original properties of Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts, we do lack some of the moderate amenities and larger bathrooms compared to our newer sister properties. With that said, we are proud of our impeccable service standards and strive to accommodate each and every guest.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy our toiletries from L’Occitane en Provence. Created in Manosque, France, Olivier Baussan founded his company based on nature and highlight its previous treasures to create products made from essential oils and natural ingredients.

Our efforts are usually extremely well received by our guests from product to service experiences; however in your case, we had obviously fell from our mark.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and hope that at some point in the future you'll give us another opportunity to try us again.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This hotel exemplifies the true meaning of hotel service and experience. This is a RESORT in the heart of the city, excellent service, staff, housekeeping is excellent - if you want to be pampered and treated respectfully - this is a place - a must to visit and stay. This wouold be a perfect "staycation" destination!!

Dear comp-aliance,

The "perfect 'staycation'" is music to my ears!

I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to ‘get you right’ on some many levels. It is comments like yours that will inspire our colleagues to continue to deliver a consistent high level of service and go above and beyond for all our guests. It would be my delight to share your kind words with them.

We hope to have the privilege and pleasure of welcoming you back for many future stay at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver - your urban oasis in the heart of downtown Vancouver.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

When we arrived at the hotel reception we were greeted by Josh as if we were well know guesta although it was the first time we had syated. As we were early arriving he explained that our room was not yet aavailable but he informed us that we had been up graded to an executive suite, The suite was large, clean and bright.
There was only a coffee machine in the room so I asked reception if they could provide an electric kettle and tea bags which were delivered to the room promptly and was advised this had been added to my profile so that whenever I stay at a Four Seasons again a kettle will automatically put in my room.
As it was my birthday we found a birthday cake which had been personalised in our suite on return from a day out, a very thoughtful touch.
The location of the hotel is excellent with most attractions within walking distance.

Room Tip: Higher floors give the best view of the city.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The staff really made my stay a wonderful experience. The attention they give each customer is exceptional. For a large hotel, I was not expecting this type of service. The rooms are great, and the hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Vancouver.

Dear Lildeo,

Thank you for your quick note. I am thrilled to hear that your stay was made so memorable by guest-centric style of service and our centralized location in the heart of downtown Vancouver. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of service and personal attention to all our guests and it is very rewarding to know that our efforts are recognized and appreciated. I would be delighted to share your thoughtful words with them. Thank you again for your note Lildeo, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for many more future stays.

Peachland, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I always enjoy my stay with the 4 Seasons Vancouver. The rooms are modern, clean, a good size and have all the amenities. Club 4 is a great place to relax and unwind. The location makes it convenient for utilizing the transit system.