“For the charm of the harbour”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #24 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
“For the charm of the harbour”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We rented the regular room as part of a conference. Our room did not have a view. The good size rooms are very nice and modern and look recently renovated. It has all the usual amenities (pool, gym and business centre). Great location if you want to enjoy an early morning or late afternoon jog on the seawall. The hotel recommends two running routes that are very, very scenic. A bit off from the downtown buzz however. You have to walk uphill to end-up on the western part of Robson street which is not the most trendy section of the street. But with a 10-15 minutes walk you will be right there with all the trendy shops, cinemas, restaurants, etc. One advantage is that you are located right close to the Georgia and Denman intersection where you can rent a bike to enjoy the seawall and Stanley park for a very low price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Heather G, Front Office Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Marco514,

What a delight to have you and your conference here with us this month. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that work or pleasure will bring you back to visit us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle Wa
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Teresa and Greg from the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver set up and coordinated our group to come to the hotel for the week to get our Brand new LOFT store ready for Grand Opening Day, 11/15. The entire hotel staff 's engagement and world class service made every day we departed and returned from a long day of work, welcoming!!!!
We have had an amazing experience, from the Valet, Guest Service, Restaurant, Bar, to name a few and everyone was so thoughtful and put their best selves forward to ensure our experience was memorable.
We thank you for that.

We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower...the view is extrordinary!!!!
Dear queenoffasion,

It was such a delight to be able to play a small part in your Vancouver Loft opening experience! Thank you for choosing us as your home away from home during this busy time for you. It is our pleasure to welcome you “home” each day and to help ensure that your time in Vancouver is as inspired and intuitive as possible. We hope you’ll have the opportunity to return to us again either for work or for pleasure!
Thank you for sharing your lovely experience with other Trip Advisor readers!
Adelaide Hills
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Thank you Westin Staff and Management for making our week in your Hotel a joy. Having planned this time in Vancouver, the hotel staff looked after us with a corner room in the Tower overlooking the activities of the harbour - boats, ocean liners, sea planes. We enjoyed eating in the outdoor restaurant with a variety of fun and tasty treats. The Nachos was amazing. Great location for a walk to Stanley Park or the Water front. Bit of hike up slight hill to CBD, but could not be closer to the fabulous harbour.

Room Tip: Book in the Tower Block, as it provides fantastic views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Adelaide_Hills,

It was our absolute pleasure to be a part of your holiday this summer. Thank you for choosing to spend your week with us and for sharing this experience with Trip Advisor readers. I hope you’ll be able to return again some time soon.
Calgary
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a nice property in a really good location along the bay. Staff was excellent, the rooms were clean and there were a number of locations close by to eat. The only thing we noticed that was lacking was a lounge to have a casual drink.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GavinF
Dear GavinF,

Thank you for your delightful review. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent experience with us. I’m sorry that you missed the opportunity to enjoy a beverage in our hotel restaurant and lounge. I hope you’ll be able to return to us again soon.
Edmonton
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This stay restored my faith in the Westin brand. Pleasant, helpful staff, nice comfortable rooms and facilities, and the best location. Stanley Park is next door, the marina and restaurants are just outside, and a short walk to Robson Street for shopping and people watching. The ballrooms convention rooms are a great facility.

I've only stayed in the tower and although it is a bit farther to the elevator, it is a peaceful part of the hotel and has the best views. Ask for a corner room facing the harbour.

The fitness centre could be a bit bigger and I would prefer more weight training machines There must be a dozen bikes, treadmills etc but they were all occupied on a Friday morning when i arrived for a short work out. First time I've ever seen that in a hotel; welcome to Vancouver I guess.

The breakfast buffet is good but overpriced; The menu is better value and the chef will be happy to fix you something not on the menu. The restaurant/bar seems to be overlooked by guests but it has a small yet well prepared offerings. They tended to overcook both the steak and scallops though. One glitch was the gluten free linguine we ordered from room service...it wasn't. Only figured it out the next day when we ordered both the gluten free and regular linguine in the restaurant. Note to management: See if you can fix this from happening; it could make someone very sick.

I stayed at the Westin Bear Mountain a couple of months ago and it left a lot to be desired. The Westin Bayshore has brought me back to the Westin level of service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank B'sbirdhouse
Dear B'sbirdhouse,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor readers. We are so delighted to know that you are a fan of Westin again and really look forward to welcoming you back!
I appreciate the feedback that you have provided and will ensure that it is shared with other team members also. I want to apologize for the error that you experienced with the gluten free pasta. Ensuring personalized requests are met with care and accuracy is very important to us and we know that many guests have dietary restrictions that can be related to serious health issues so I truly apologize that this error occurred. If you would like to speak with me about it further please do contact me any time at heather.guay@westin.com.
Baltimore
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Very clean rooms, wonderful views of surrounding marinas, downtown buildings and surrounding scenery. Plus it's fun to watch seaplanes landing and taking off. Easy access to sea wall path and about a 10-15 minute walk to the convention center along the sea wall.

Dear Ginsengsullivan,

It was a delight to have you as our guest recently. I’m glad you enjoyed our inspired surroundings as much as we do!
mission bc
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife's union picked up the tab so I don't know the rate - however they are thrifty so the price must have been attractive. I have stayed here about 4 years ago and it was very reasonable then. We were given a 13th floor corner room which was very nice, it felt clean and modern. The room was quite large with 2 very comfortable queen size beds with high quality bedding in perfect condition, great pillows, we slept well. The room had a great view of the harbor and stanley park. The free in-room coffee is excellent, the best I can recall in a mid range hotel for sometime. The bottled water was also free, newspapers were free also which I liked. The room comes with very nices robes (well "robe" actually, more on that in a sec), no slippers, safe is typical standard quality, toiletries are adequate. Good closet and drawer space - you could unpack a big suite case if the need be. The clean bathroom was smallish, one sink, and a smallish tub/shower combo, good hot water and water pressure. In a room this size I would have given up a few square feet for a proper shower and a double sink. TV is good with decent programming. Air conditioning/heat worked as far as temperature goes but varied a bit as it cycled on and off and it was a little noisy on start up, other than that the room was quiet.
Yes the parking is $36 a night - BUT, despite the waffling about that, the parkade charges that much, not the hotel. As you leave the parkade you can give a parking slip from the hotel to show you paid already if you want to charge it to your room, but I chose to just pay as a regular public parkade visitor, they had no way of knowing I was a Westin guest, they still charged $36, the signage is clear. Despite the comments about this being a rip off or gouging by the hotel... it is not. Vancouver is high on the list of the most expensive places for realestate in the world, and parking spaces are realestate. Apparently some think U$40 a night in San Francisco is okay but U$35 here is not? huh? Typically we pay $20 to $26 to park for 3 or 4 hours to watch events when we are in the city. Parking meters can hit $6 an hour! - if you can get a space.
Wifi was included in our room package however it is clear that is not always the case, we had to order it at $15 a day (plus the 17% taxes) then they took it off at check out, so watch for the wifi details if you want it. The wifi appeared to have a strong signal but was painfully slow and intermittent, even for on line shopping and opening google it was bad, failing to load at all at times. I would not be pleased to be paying for that - maybe they know in some areas of the hotel it is bad, hence the removal of the fee? This surprises me as this is a conference oriented business hotel. I just got back from Cambodia - the wifi was good there!!! Wifi is free in the lobby if you just need to check a few emails once in a while.
After 28 days last month in South East Asia, in 4 and 5 star hotels, adjusting back to Vancouver hotel service was a bit of a shock to the system. We were used to asking for something and getting it with smile (and a bow, often) without delay, with staff at the ready within sight at all times, they wouldn't dare walk by without greeting you. Here, my wife checked in a head of me and noticed we only had one robe so she asked in person at the front desk for a robe and a dog bed to be sent up, it was typed into the computer. 4 hours later it was not done - my wife phoned asking for the dog bed as I was showing up with the dog any minute - we got the bed, but we never did see the robe. The attitude of the front desk wasn't the greatest. The doorman at check in glanced at me then looked away without speaking, on check out the young lady at the post got it right and said hello. I know you get what you pay for, but we just didn't feel staff were really motivated as far as service goes. For example house keeping just walks by without saying a word and a well dressed man with a hotel name tag manages only a weak return smile passing in a quiet hallway.
We were tired early as were still getting over jet lag so we decided to eat diner in the hotel, this was a mistake. The Seawall Restaurant is NOT good, the ambience is not good, the food not good, and the staff a bit rough - nice enough, but lacking the graces for a major hotel - clueless about the limited menu, new they said - give me an hour on the job and I would have had it memorized. In a good restaurant staff would be given new menus to look over and they would be educated to answer basic questions about the menu items. It reminded me of an average pub out in the valley where of course the food will be 1/3 the price. My $18 (plus taxes and tip) burger lacked beef flavor, the bun was cheap quality and there was way too much salt on the burger and fries, the cheapest lettuce and a bland tomato slice. I have been watching my salt intake recently and I hate the feeling I get when I eat a salt bomb, I was up chugging water at 4:00am. My wife's scallops were nothing to write home about either. There are several restaurants nearby that are much much better, just look for the busy ones.
The location is nice for the view, and the very nice sea wall walk right into Stanley Park, we felt perfectly safe walking at night. You can rent bikes close by. It's too far to walk to Robson street, Pacific Center or Yale Town though. The area has been very well planned, a text book example of urban planning done right if you ask me. Lots of grass and trees and a nearby off leash dog area. I must commend the hotel for being dog friendly AND NOT CHARGING a fee for the dog. We will be guests here again entirely due to their pet friendly policies - just not in the restaurant.

1 Thank Piggy-can-fly
Dear Walrus2010,
We truly appreciate the time that you have put into this detailed and personal review. You have provided us with a plethora of feedback to grow from. I must apologize that you noted on a few occasions that you found the service to be less than ideal. I’m surprised to hear that you encountered this on a few occasions as that is contrary to what most guests have shared with us. We do endeavor to provide intuitive experiences and I recognize that this was not always the case with your recent visit. I will also share your detailed feedback about your dining experience with our restaurant team members.
I’m delighted that you will be returning to us again and I trust that you find that experience to be a truly exhilarating escape!