“luxurious old fashioned stayover”

Executive Hotel Le Soleil
Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“luxurious old fashioned stayover”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

we stayed overnight on a Saturday for dinner at the Copper Chimney for our office annual dinner at this hotel and really enjoyed the small intimate luxury feel of the room. We had a one bedroom suite and brought our 2 kids. It was very comfortable, one of the best beds I have slept in and the Keurig coffeemaker was a big plus for the next morning. Staff were exceptionally friendly and the place was super clean. The little sitting area off the reception with a nice warm fireplace was very cosy for a chat after dinner. The hotel is situated off the busier streets of Vancouver so it is quieter unless you get some rowdy people coming off from Brandy's next door. All in all, its a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are good.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Pros: The place is beautiful! From the time you walk through the doors until you get to your room. Cons: Everything costs!! You can step around the corner and get something way cheaper! Don't get me wrong while it was nice, I don't feel the ammenities were what they claimed to be. The room was on the small side. There is NO GYM...it's at the YWCA in the next building (not connected) which costs as well! There is a hotel in the building that specializes in Indian cuisine. I was not impressed but the basmati rice was pretty good. I wouldn't stay there again. It's pretty but I don't feel that it was worth it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Springville, Utah, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2012

A boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Vancouver. I found it thru Hotels.com.

The room price was much lower than I expected for such a great location in the city.

The room was comfortable, large, clean and very beautifully decorated (which isn't that important to me, but it was nice). Great king bed. Very quiet. Plenty of amenities for the tired business traveler, including Wi-Fi and mini-bar.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed 29 November 2012 via mobile

If you can get the trip advisor special rate, this is a very good deal, as the rate (currently) includes valet parking. Yes, the bed has a coverlet, but you pull that back then the white sheeted duvet is underneath. If you get turn down, they remove the coverlet for you. Extra pillows may be found in the closet; the a/c did kick on and off with a 'pop' that was on the louder side. Huge plus: there was an off odor when we checked in, and I quickly realized it was the shower curtain. We called down and someone replaced the curtain and liner in under five minutes from the call. Wow!
We would definitely come back for the same rate. Very conveniently located and in a very good part of town.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kellsjells
Sooke, BC
Reviewed 28 November 2012

What a great place to stay. Small hotel, great service. I did like a new safety feature : you need your room key to use the elevator.
We were going to a concert at the Rogers arena. Easy walk from that hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I booked this on a vacation package and chose this instead of the Four Seasons (which was the same rate). Upon check in, me and my traveling companion were thrilled to be there. The lobby was pretty and the smell in the air was lovely (always smells like fresh cookies or something). I had corresponded with the hotel when I booked this in April and they assured me (in an email) they would provide me with a complimentary upgrade if it was available. Adele (the manager on duty stated she saw the letters in the correspondence section by the way).

When we checked in, we were told by Adele the hotel was sold out and given our suite as there were no upgrades available. It was fine but it did not have a tub (my traveling companion has a muscular disorder and she really needed a tub to soak in).

I called the front desk and asked if there was a room with a tub due to my companion's muscular disorder and was informed I had to pay for an "upgrade" even though I was advised the hotel was sold out. I was called back and they offered the room - played musical luggage again, not fun and not a good welcome.

The hotel suites have old covers on the beds (very icky) and Parisian style furniture - extremely outdated. The walls are paper thin. Our suite (808) was across from the service closet and we were woken up every morning with staff members making REALLY LOUD noises across the hall with complete disregard for guests. If you are a light sleeper or like a quiet room - this is NOT the hotel for you. All in all the stay was really great except for the service.

There was one notable exception and that was David in the lobby. David always offered great advice and was extremely friendly, even when we bumped into him on the town - he was a saving grace and was the only reason I did not rate this hotel as a one or two star hotel. Also the concierge gentleman was kind and professional.

I decided not to take photos of the room as it was ordinary and many are already highlighted on this site.

Upon check out, the front desk clerk was very curt - did not even ask how the stay was.

All in all - it is an ORDINARY place to stay (3/4 star realistically) but certainly NOT 5 star service. I was crazy to stay at this place and should have considered the Four Seasons or others that were in the same price category. This hotel would have earned a GREAT review from me if the service was better but it TRULY left a terrible taste in my mouth as well as my traveling companion. It is a lesson to be learned. Some boutique hotels are fabulous and some are like this one. It is hit or miss with non chains who claim to be 5 star hotels. I would most definitely not stay at this hotel again. NO WAY!

Room Tip: No gym, no pool and no spa facilities. How is this rated a 5 star hotel?
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveler4k
HotelLeSoleil, General Manager at Executive Hotel Le Soleil, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Contributor,
Thank you for your candid comments regarding your recent stay at our property, I am sorry that we didn't not meet all of your expectations as it relates to the service you received or the complimentary upgrade you were expecting. We do offer complimentary upgrades based on availablity (as we only have a limited number of each room type) and if we are running to close to 100% occupancy we typically charge the additional amount due to the demand.
As it pertains to guestroom decor and amenities there is a fact sheet avaialble on our website which describes in great detail our guest room types, furnishings and additional services we provide; however I can appreciate that design and style is a very personal thing. We do pride our selves on provided excellent guest service and I apologize that you were disturbed by our room attendants accessing the linen closet, which is probably a little more often than most hotels as we do not not use maid carts. We are AAA four diamond hotel and have obtained this rating because of our high level of service and unique surroundings.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days while visiting the city. I found the hotel based on price. It was one of the better priced hotels among those that were rated well.

I was pleasantly surprised by the apartment style rooms. For the price of a generic room at a major brand hotel, the room at Le Soleil was much more spacious. I enjoyed having a separate living room space from the bedroom. The room was clean and comfortable.

The service at the hotel was excellent. Everyone from the valet, to the front desk, to the housekeeper was friendly and professional. The restaurant and sightseeing recommendations I received at the hotel were spot on.

I also liked the location. It was an easy walk to major downtown shopping, and only about a ten minute stroll to the shops, nightlife, and restaurants of Gastown.

The lobby was beautiful and everything was in excellent order. I liked the local charm of this hotel.

For those looking for lots of extras such as health centers, pools, and free breakfast buffets, I am not sure that Le Soleil is that place. However, if you simply appreciate a larger quality room with service to match, this is a great hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel has 16 floors (with 3 numbers left out - the less lucky 4, 13, and 14). The higher floors...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple