“Average Hotel, Good Art, Lacks Polish”

The Listel Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Overall the hotel was a good place to stay. Clean rooms, comfy bed with nice sheets. Location is awesome on Robson street (there is a Starbucks across the street and a great restaurant next door called O'Doul's). The art in this "art hotel" is fantastic when I was here. A very interesting photography exhibit.

The downside of this place and why it only gets 4 out of 5 stars (I was tempted to give it a 3) is that is bills itself as a "arty designer" type hotel. You would expect this place to be decked out with fancy, modern decor. Other than the great art on the wall, this place is barely a 3 star hotel.

Room furniture is average at best. The TV is circa 1996. The bathroom is from a mid-range apartment in 1989. The AC hums and the carpet hasn't been changed in some time.

Now I normally wouldn't care about any of this except of how this hotel sells itself and my expectations. The airport Radisson I stayed at the first night in the city looked 10 times better in terms of an interior.

So, do you need a nice clean hotel with great staff in a fantastic location in Vancouver? Then stay here. Don't expect to be blown away with the decor.

NOTES:
Free Internet
Great Staff
Awesome eats next door at O'Doul's
Great Location
Vancouver is awesome

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JMfromTO

Reviewed 30 May 2010

We had a great time at the Listel in Vancouver. Our suite was on the museum floor and had interesting pieces of art both in the room and in the hallway. The hotel bar/ restaurant has live jazz which was really cool. The hotel is situated on one of the main shopping streets so is handy for shops and bars. Overall, we had a great time and would go back if we're ever back in Vancouver.

1  Thank julesb77
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We were staying at another hotel just down the street and having a lousy time. Eating at O'Doul's one night, the wait staff suggested we move to the Listel and could get us the same rate. I went and looked at the rooms they had available, and moved the next day. Saved our holiday big time. I was truly impressed with all the staff from the front desk to the restaurant were we eat on numerous occasions. They truly treat you like family. We also got a welcome gift on arrive, and were called by name each time we came in or went out. As for the art work, my husband is an artist and we loved the paintings. The wine reception was also wonderful.

Great place, great staff, will stay there again!! Thanks, guys!!

Reviewed 20 May 2010

Stayed two nights recently and had a nice time. Everyone at the Hotel was polite and attentive. The car valets were also very helpful and cheerful. We had lunch at the restaurant which was also pretty good. A little pricey but, good.

Lots of shops and restaurants nearby. Parking is $26.00 a night if you're driving there. Hotel room was spacious and clean. We were on the second floor on the back side of the hotel so we had to listen to the trash trucks doing the rounds early in the morning. Other than that, it was still quiet. I guess the cheapest rooms are on the lower floors. Overall, it was a nice stay.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

Stayed during/for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics! Man oh man what an experience.. One hell of an experience not to forget! I was nearly depressed to come Back home to Toronto! I loved the city, the culture, some of the unique restaurants & the very fine west coast chilaxed laid back Vancouver People & Atmosphere to make it an overall great experience! But Than again maybe it was like this more so like this for some aspects because it was during Olympics! This was by the way our first leg of hotel stays on this trip & one of the better ones too!

Now onto THE HOTEL! :)

Upon arriving the concierge/valet was extremely friendly, warm & helpful! Made me & friends feel like we were a somebody. :)

Pretty decent location for the most part! Not really far from anything. Nice n' cozy low key quiet boutique like hotel! Very clean hotel & rooms too!
Rooms seem quite well designed..at least ours was! I loved the chaize lounge cozy comfy full length couch by the window where you can chill lay back with
couple people. Also rarely do u have hotel rooms these days where windows can be opened. The top window opens allowing nice fresh air into the room.

Unfortunately did not get to experience their restaurant...

I understand the hotel is trying to go GREEN & I guess to cut costs but I still prefer personally branded mini bottled Shampoo &conditioner over dispensers which I've never seen before...but I guess it was still pretty cool & the quality was good.

Our room was facing the rear of the hotel which very much reminded me of Europe/middle east particularly Istanbul, Turkey which I really liked...It probably felt this way due to the apt. design setup w/ the small groundfloor basic parking lot & narrow street etc looking out the window.

What I really appreciated & quite surprised to find was the welcome package (red wine w/ a O'douls Wine/Bottle Opener), Exquisitely delicious Premium ARTSY box o' Chocolates, & a welcome letter that was sitting on the coffee table. It really made me feel "special & welcome".

Concierge very friendly professional & never made you feel it was all about "the tip" !

I could see the caliber class of hotel I was dealing with as soon as I booked as well as when I had to call the hotel to to discuss a few things. Very professional, friendly, Courteous Staff who seem to really care about your stay/experience.

I would definately stay at the Listel again!

P.S I forgot to mention that upon my request,to have as a souvenir, the hotel sent me a complimentary wine/bottle opener by mail

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank to335i1
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Once again, the Listel has amazed me with it's geniune service, extraordinary housekeeping and fantastic dining.
As someone who also works in the hotel industry, it's easy for me to "nit pick" any flaws, but I must say it was very hard to do so!
The front desk agents and valet drivers were all so positive, friendly and shown a general interest in where I was even from.
Housekeeping was prompt and any special requests I had for the room (more body wash, shower cap etc), they attended to.
The dining room was unbelievable. Even though I went in by myself, the bartender was very personable and kept me company. Not to mention the food was to die for. Accompanied by live jazz as well!

Overall my stay was a 10/10. I truely mean that too.. I would never recommend a hotel to anyone if I didn't honestly think they should go there.

My only "complaint" is that the air vent was a bit rattly, but I just turned it off anyways - didnt need it when I had a balcony! :)
Also, if anyone else were to bicker about that, can they honestly say their vents at home don't make noise too?

Keep up the phenomenal work!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank branmuffin7
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We've stayed at the Listel three times over the past few years and enjoyed each stay. The staff is outstanding, and the food in their restaurant is excellent. Plenty of art to enjoy in the lobby and the hallways. We easily walked to shopping, museums, parks, and restaurants. The rooms are not fancy but the beds are comfortable and there was space in the room to set up a card table and chairs when we wanted to play cards. And the staff asked us who won each morning.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple