“Double charging hotel cost and not replying to reverse charges”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Horrible, horrible experience! Double charged my week's stay and now not responding to requests to reverse charges. After several emails and attempts to contact the hotel and reverse the charges they are now not responding to any emails and charges still stands.

1  Thank Samantha L
Brian R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Samantha L:

Thank you for your recent review. I was very troubled to read about the poor experience you have encountered. I am sorry for the distress this has caused you. I hope there is a reasonable explanation for the lack of follow up from my team, but nonetheless I would ask you to email me directly at b.rohl@coasthotels.com so that I can ensure this issue is fully resolved for you.

Brian Rohl
Director of Operations

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was a refugee to the Coast Plaza after my reservation with a nearby hotel held the conference I attended messed up. I was defeated, tired, grumpy, and was not impressed when walking into the Coast Plaza. But the receptionist served me through the check-in process really comforted me -- it was professional, courtesy, and most importantly a sense of understanding what a traveller desire to be taken care but not patronised. I had similar experience when I checked out the next morning, so there must be some kind of consistency in the service.

To be fair, this property has no way to compete with those shining modern waterfront hotels. The deco in the lobby may remind you the era of 1980s, with a relatively modest reception area. This is the same in the elevator hall, though the elevators are actually run quite efficiently as I have never needed to wait for more than a min even in the rush hour. The deco of the room and bathroom is also not new, but the size is utterly spacious. It even has a balcony to allow you to step outside the room to take in the great view of Vancouver. Nothing in the room will tell you it is old (probably apart from the stand-alone air-con unit), and most important to a traveller, it is clean, and carefully maintained.

Moreover, the area where the hotel located hosts uncountable small restaurants -- mainly Asian (Korean, Thai, Chinese, Japanese) and you can tell most of their customers are not tourists. A supermarket, a dollar store, and a bank at the bottom of the hotel and a 7-11, and loads of cafes near by. It if a few blocks walks toward the downtown (c.a. 10-15 mins walk), and similar distance to the waterfront in another direction. The neighbourhood is mainly residential so it is relatively calm, and you do feel there is no wonder why Vancouver has been constantly voted one of the best place to live.

Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This review is late, we actually stayed here about two years ago. The hotel is located very close to many decent restaurants and shops, also close to Stanley Park and bike rentals. We initially got a room very close to the AC unit (noisy) but on request were moved away and to a higher floor. The higher floors seemed better both for less noise and better views. We had a view of the water from our balcony.
The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was nothing fancy but comfortable. The pool is nice especially if you have kids. We did not eat at the hotel so can't speak for the in-house food, but as I said there are many good places to eat close by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a great hotel for anyone on budget--IE familys, long-term stays, seniors.
We were in a bachlor suite with a kitchnette that had a queen bed.
The hotel is very clean.
We booked thru Hotwire--great rate. I think we saved $100 booking thru Hotwire.
It wasn't downtown, but the it was easy to use the transit system.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was very impressed with the Coast. Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Rooms have views that are absolutely gorgeous.
It's in the heart of downtown. Walk to the beach, restaurants of all tastes, coffee shops and shopping.
Overall a great experience and I will definitely be staying at the Coast in the future.

Room Tip: Any room is good. The views are incredible. I especially enjoyed the view of the water to one side a...
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with our room at the Coast! I booked the room the day before on Hotwire. Fast, efficient and friendly front desk staff. The room was massive! Helpful to have the kitchenette and Starbucks coffee/maker for the morning. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet..I was amazed not to hear the sounds of downtown Vancouver…no sirens! I will be back again for any stays in Vancouver and for sure would recommend to others!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I use to come here often for work trips in the mid-90's, so I was curious how the Coast Plaza was now. Still great place to stay and good value. Some have mentioned the furniture needs updating and I'll agree but for me that is very minor. The rooms are a good size with comfortable beds, balconies with great views of downtown and English Bay, well stocked full kitchens and clean bathrooms. The staff are friendly and helpful. And I love the neighbourhood. Denman and Davie street have many great restaurants from budget to high end. Close to supermarkets and short walks to beach and Stanley Park. Surprisingly quiet too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo