“Good location but there is something about that bathroom mirror..”

Westin Grand Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Atlanta
“Good location but there is something about that bathroom mirror..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We spent an enjoyable week at the Westin in a 2-room suite on the 28th floor. All the staff we encountered where helpful and positive. Concierge Lisa had loads of ideas. Several times we used room service for breakfast and dinner. The service was quick. But keep this in mind: there is a multi-choice breakfast request menu to hang outside the door. It has to be hung before 3am (I think that is correct). And you can select a time period for its arrival. On the hang on the door menu “Hidden Breakfast” meal includes milk and choice of tea or coffee. BUT, if you call down to room service from the in-room dining guide and verbally order the same “Hidden Breakfast” by phone, you will charged extra for milk($4) and charged extra for the tea or coffee($4) !!! I didn’t think that was fair but the desk clerk was firm. The inside bathroom door has a full length mirror which is great for getting ready in the morning. But whenever you are sitting on the commode---there you are in the mirror. I found that somewhat disconcerting. Right next to the hotel is a Tim Hortons coffee/donut shop and next to that is a large grocery store.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stopped off here briefly and were most satisfied with the high standards we found which we would expect from such a chain. our room was clean, airy and fresh with a well equipped kitchenette and as the room was very high up we had great views so worth asking for. most impressed

• Stayed August 2011
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Westin Grand Vancouver is located on 433 Robson Street which is in the heart of the city's entertainment and shopping district. Upon arriving, I was greeted by and exceptionally professional and friendly staff who gave me the best room available as I requested. The evidence of it was in the room as I had a high floor with a breathtaking view of Library Square, BC Place and a beautiful skyline including mountains. My room was very clean and the bathroom amenities were of high quality. I really loved the leaf-shaped soap. In addition, the bathroom had a separate shower and tub which I thought was a plus. The shower was equipped with dual shower heads to accommodate various heights of guests.

Other accessories included a mini-kitchenette including refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher. And if you don't mind paying the ungodly prices for the convenience snack and drink products in the room's bar, they had more to choose from than I had seen in any hotel. The items ranged from a Kit Kat bar, juices, and soft drinks, to a variety of mini-bottled alcoholic beverages to large bottles of wine etc. There are however, two complimentary bottles of water, and two bottles of ungodly priced water. One bottle was $7 and it was maybe only 1 liter max. Maybe it has special healing powers or age reducing ingredients. If you're on a budget, just drink the tap water. It tasted great and was very cold. The bed in extremely comfortable and I slept like a baby every night.

As it was my first time in Vancouver, I needed to find something to do. No worries, just head down to the ground floor and meet the kindest and most attentive concierge in the world. Not sure if I can mention names here but you will know who she is once you meet her. She knows the town like the back of here hand and will provide you with excellent tips on things to do and places to visit as well as give you very simple and detailed directions. She also recommended some great restaurants based on my preferences. She didn't steer me wrong. On the first day I toured the seawall (12 mile walk), on the second, I visited Granville Island and visited a dance club on Richards St; and on the last day, I visited Gastown to do some souvenir shopping as well as took a road trip across Lions Gate Bridge to visit West and North Vancouver. Needless to say, I had a great time and it was largely in part to her guidance. She is simply awesome!

Overall, my stay was excellent. However, I did have a small plumbing issue... the water in my toilet overflowed. Had I realized it in time, I could have stopped it before if happened but I did observe it before the water spread to the exterior of the bath floor. I called express service desk and the issue was resolved right away and didn't reoccur.

I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return largely in part to the wonderful staff. No matter how nice a building is, it is the staff that dictates the atmosphere. With that said, I am thankful to the front desk, concierge, maintenance, and housekeeping staff for making my first stay from 15-18 March in Vancouver a most pleasant one. :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
mitcfaw, Manager at Westin Grand Vancouver, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Pardice,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind and detailed review. We are absolutely thrilled to have been able to provide such a memorable stay for you. We have shared your comments with our entire team, and we are looking forward to making your next stay even more memorable!

Niagara region
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was so impressed by this hotel. Despite being in downtown Vancouver, I didn't hear any street noise (I did request a quiet part of the hotel in advance). You are only a few blocks from the skytrain which can take you to the airport and there's a grocery store across the street plus tons of restaurants nearby. The room was very comfortable and spacious plus excellent staff. Everyone smiled and was polite and efficient. I think I am a convert to the Westin chain. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quiet part of the hotel away from the street noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Houston, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed at the Westin Grand in Vancouver last week on a four day getaway. It was my first time in Vancouver and I stayed at the Westin because my friend that I was visiting was already booked there. I am usually a Hilton loyalist, so I haven't stayed at a great many Westins. I was presently surprised.

Without dragging this review out, I will just say that the location for me was perfect. It is within walking distance of great shops and restaurants, as well as public transportation. It is also central to everything that is not within walking distance, so no taxi ride is too expensive.

The room is laid out nicely with a separate sleeping and lounging area. The queen room wasn't huge, but the space was very wisely utilized. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The hotel itself was spotless and the staff were very friendly. I was able to book the room for less than $200/ night. For the quality of the room, the location of the hotel, and the fact that it is located in a large, beautiful North American destination city, I felt the rate was very reasonable.

I would return to this hotel in the future without hesitation.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 21st floor and the noise level was minimal and the view was very nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank michael77092
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We got in very late due to flight delays, and were greeted by friendly staff on ground floor lobby. Desk manager was also friendly and efficient. Hidden was fortunately open until midnight, so able to have dinner before crashing. Room was a corner suite, living room with pull-out couch for our son. Clean, updated. Kitchenette was a plus with microwave and toaster, and dishwasher. Housekeeping was immaculate, and unobtrusive. Within walking distance of 2 Starbucks and many great restaurants.
We had rented a car and have to say parking at $26 a night was a bit pricey, but garage secure and able to get in and out without any issues any time of day or night. 24 hour staff on ground level added an extra level of security/safety.
We booked through Hotels.com and got a great deal compared to going on the Westin website to make the reservation.
Cons: Experience at Hidden (the hotel restaurant) was inconsistent. Best meal was breakfast with great wait staff and delicious food. Dinner menu limited and we had a terrible experience second night we ate there (see my review for Hidden). Also, it would have been nice to have coffee in lobby in the morning, as most Westin and W Hotels have this as a perk. Fortunately there were 2 Starbucks across the street, but would have been nice to stay inside for this.

Room Tip: Corner suites are roomy, nice having the extra pull-out bed.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank swifty783mass
Dear swifty783mass,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review! We appreciate the comments and are glad to see that you and your family had an enjoyable stay. However, please accept our apologies for the inconsistencies with your experience at Hidden. We have shared your comments with the team and will ensure they are followed up on. We hope we can welcome you and your family back again soon!

Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We made our reservations months before our trip and specifically asked for a room with a view and we were told they would make that recommendation. However, we were given a room on the lowest floor! While the room was adequate, it was pretty cramped and our daughter slept in an adjoining room with a pull-out sofabed. The problem was the "suite" was so tiny that we had to be careful not to trip over each other. Had we been told at the time we made our reservation that we could have had a higher floor and a larger room, if we were willing to pay an additional $20 to $50 dollars a night, we might have considered the possibility or sought out another hotel. On the positive side, the staff was helpful and the room service was incredibly fast and reasonable.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay more the higher floors have balconies and more spacious rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Arthur G
Dear Arthur G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We are glad to see that you enjoyed your room service and that our associates were helpful. Thank you for sharing the picture of your breakfast at Hidden as well! We're sorry to hear that your suite layout wasn't ideal for your family. On your next visit, please allow our in-house reservations department (604.602.1999) to assist you and more carefully explain the different suite options to help you make the best decision. We look forward to your next visit!