“Convenience, View and Service”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 2 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Grand for 5 nights for a combined business and pleasure trip and felt that it was one of the best Westin experiences we've ever had. It was easy to get to via the Skytrain and in walking distance to many of the destinations on our list. While our biggest complaint about Westins is that they don't normally provide free wifi, on this visit we were given free wifi access as part of a promotion and it really made a big difference in the enjoyment of our stay. We also loved the in-room convenience kitchen with a small sink, microwave, dishwasher and mini-bar refrigerator that allowed us the option of buying a few things from Granville Market (or the next door grocery and liquor stores) to bring back to the room. Just wished the existing refrigerator wasn't quite so stocked full with beverages for purchase so that there was a little bit more room for the guest's storage purposes but we just temporarily relocated the items to make space. The room was a tad bit on the small side but fine for the two of us. I had trouble sleeping well the first couple nights (unusual on a Westin bed) because the mattress tilted up fairly steeply from the middle toward the foot but we finally rotated it and it was fine. The city view from the 30th floor was phenomenal and was our favorite aspect of our stay. While other reviewers were bothered by the slowness of the elevators, we didn't find them to be particularly slow and never had to wait very long at all. Lastly, at the airport on the way back home I realized that I had left my phone charger in the room. They located the charger within a few minutes and have mailed it back to me. Great hotel and excellent service. I hope we get a chance to get back there soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 November 2012

This is by far the most expensive and most disappointing Westin I have stayed on. The rooms are rather small and unless you get a really good room (gold or platinum levels) your money is not worth the service. I mean, it is not bad but when you look at your bill things simply don't match up.

Location is its strongest point: in the core of downtown, and near to everything. The weakness are the price/services ratio, the internet is slow (even to watch Netflix in HD) and the gym which is small and has machines that are clearly 5+ years old with continous use and poor maintenance (e.g. cardio meter in treadmill is broken).

Room Tip: Chose rooms with separate living room and bedroom. They are impressive.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Jalex2321,

Thank you for your review of the property, I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. We certainly strive to keep our prices very competitive with the rest of the city. I will be speaking with my IT & Engineering teams in regards to your comments, having a slow internet and machines that do not work perfectly is unacceptable and we will be addressing those immediately.

I certainly hope that we can have another chance to show you that we can do better. Please feel free to reach out to me directly next time you are coming to Vancouver so that I can ensure your stay is as perfect and care-free as possible. bryce.beatty@westingrandvancouver.com

Reviewed 1 November 2012

This was our second stay at the Westin Grand and once again it met all of our needs. There isn't a better location for visiting Vancouver for an event at any of the main downtown venues. Shoppers will also appreciate the variety of opportunities within easy walking distance.

Like all of the best hotels, their employees are their greatest asset. When our flight was canceled and we arrived a day late, Mark authorized a refund for the first night even though it was not required.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors, overlooking Robson Street with a view of B.C. Place are worth the cost e...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed two nights, to see an event at the Rogers Arena.
The rooms are mini-suites with a separate bedroom and a mini kitchen. So it is very useful for an extended stay. My room did not have a water view, so if that's important to you, this may not be the right place. The lobby entrance is off the alley, so if you come by car you might miss it.
The service is very good and the staff is very responsive.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper floors.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear msc66,

Thank you for your stay with us, I'm glad that you found our location convenient for your event at Rogers Arena. We are quite pleased that you enjoyed the service offered to you during your stay, this is a particular area that we take great pride in.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the property soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

This hotel is great value for the money. The rooms are clean, bathrooms large, great kichenettes with fridge available on request. directly beside an IGA grocery store, liquor store and winner's home sense :-). Ideal location for downtown shopping/eating. Valet parking is quick and friendly. Front desk answers quickly and courteously. The breakfast buffet is the only spot where I did not rank with 5 stars as it really is limited with cold items only , ie fruit, cereals,muffins etc. You can order a la carte though- but pricey.Our kids were treated with as much respect as the rest of us- the outdoor heated saltwater pool is clean, the gym is more than adequate. I would definitely stay here again- it was out 2nd stay here and we weren;t dissapointed in any way. I have stayed at the fairmont and pan pacific and they are not worth the xtra money compared to the Westin grand.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We were greeted by very friendly staff. She answered all of our questions and made suggestions, gave us a map with directions and all in a most pleasant fashion. The room had a great view of the downtown. It was spacious and fresh and clean with very comfortable beds. We were able to walk to Rogers Areana for the concert. Restaurants were close by as well as shopping.Unfortunately, the bar was closed when we got back from the concert and were looking forward to a drink to close the evening. The Westin Grand made our stay in Vancouver a very pleasand experience and I will come back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I've stayed here before and I always find the service from all the staff exceptional! Great location. Easy to navigate the downtown from here. The views from the mini suites are outstanding. There are some great restaurants a short walking distance from the hotel. To meet friends for a drink before going out the bar at the hotel is very cool.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Retrodelux,

Thank you for returning to the property as well as submitting your review. We are so very happy that you enjoyed your time with us, we look forward to many more return visits in the future.