“Comfortable, nice hotel overall”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I came up from Seattle for two nights for a getaway after the holidays to celebrate our anniversary. We own a bakery in Seattle and we don't get away often, so this trip was very special to us. The hotel suite was wonderful - clean, comfortable; a great setting for relaxation and enjoying the downtown views. We slept beautifully both nights without interruption in our Heavenly Bed (even on New Years Eve!), The suite setup was perfect for us, since we were planning to do some work for our business mixed with dining out and enjoying the Vancouver shopping scene. The staff were very friendly and helpful and everything about the place was great, except...the reason I give this place four stars instead of five is: why do you charge $14.99 per 24 hours for Wifi? I used to travel for business every week ten years ago and back then it was standard to charge for internet access. But now, everyone is constantly connected to the internet, and the internet is available for free pretty much everywhere (including my small bakery in Seattle). So WHY on earth is internet an add-on cost at a luxury hotel like yours? I realize the Westin is not alone among its peers in charging for internet access but I find it very perplexing and absurd. Internet access is not a privilege anymore, it's a necessary part of everyday life. Yes, we paid the $14.99 to get access to our room's wifi, but we did it very grudgingly, and I'm now using your Wifi to post this review. Please let me know when you make Wifi free- I will definitely be back when that happens!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,817)

Reviewed 29 December 2013

hotel is lovely and located in the heart of the city.
pool and weight room are wonderful.
The food at "hidden" is so good and not expensive
and service is the best, people that care all
around! good job everyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thanks for your comments Steve! Our associates are truly what make us stand out, and I'm delighted to see they made a difference during your visit. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at the Westin Grand while we went to see the Nutcracker Ballet. We found the staff in all areas to be friendly, helpful and welcoming. The room was nothing terribly special, but was clean and right next to the Centre for the Performing Arts and BC Place and surrounded by multiple excellent restaurants. The hotel restaurant was also very good for all meals. It is also pet friendly and that is a huge bonus to us as we travel with a companion dog. Overall a very nice stay worth the dollars.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Ginny,

Thank you for staying with us for your holiday visit! We're glad your puppy was able to enjoy his stay just as much as you. We hope to welcome you all again soon!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Had not stayed in Vancouver before and had an overnighter there with my wife - we wanted to see as much of Vancouver as possible in an afternoon as we flew out early the next day.

First off, we arrived early in the morning and the front office staff bent over backwards to try and get us in to a room early - as we had flown some distance to get there we were really grateful for the help and the chance to shower.

Explaining that we wanted to see as much of the city as possible, they recommended we talk to the hotel Concierge Lisa. Can I say that I think Lisa is without doubt one of the very best hotel employees I have ever encountered - her knowledge and desire to genuinely help us were simply outstanding.

She gave us a great itinerary including tips on restaurants to eat at for lunc and for dinner and added "if you have trouble getting a table with these restaurants let them know I recommended you and see if they can help - well we did have trouble getting into one at Gastown, and sure enough they found us a table after we mentioned Lisa. Finally Lisa very kindly gave us her card and said no matter what time, if we were having trouble of got lost just to call her on her cell phone - just unbelievable service.

I hope the Westin management recognise what an asset they have there.

in terms of the hotel, all suite, plenty of room and of course those beds are super comfortable!!

Room Tip: all rooms are suites so all good - upper floors for the views! If you have time go to the Christm...
1  Thank matt s

Dear Matt,

It was a pleasure to welcome you on your very first trip to Vancouver! We are delighted that Lisa was able to make your stay more special. She is truly an invaluable member of our team. We hope to see you again on many future visits to come.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Every aspect of my stay at the Westin Grand was excellent, from the friendly greeting at my arrival until I left the following day. The suite was small but efficient. The view of the downtown with water glimpses was excellent. The most important feature to me was the location. Truly, the location could not have been better - close to transportation, restaurants, and shopping. I think this hotel would be perfect for anyone visiting Vancouver and wanting to see and do as much as they could in a short time - the excellent location puts you at the heart of the city

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you Arnold! We appreciate your kind comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

My high rating of this hotel goes mostly to the amazing view of downtown Vancouver I had from my room on the 29th floor. It was breathtaking and I loved that one whole wall was floor to ceiling windows. The room itself was a cozy and clean apartment style set up. It is centrally located. I ate room service once (lobster pouting which was terrible!) and had breakfast in the restaurant once which was ok but they charged me $4.00 for a cup of coffee!! Awful coffee to boot. Take my advice and make your FREE coffee in your room before going to eat there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Geena,

Thank you for sharing your review! We're glad you enjoyed that view, which is especially stunning today after Vancouver's significant snowfall. My apologies that you didn't enjoy the lobster poutine, which has won an award for best in the city. Please be sure to let us know the next time you visit and we'll be sure to recommend something you'll enjoy.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Even though I stayed only one night at the Westin Grand Vancouver, my time there was exceptional. Having just completed a graveyard shift, I was able to check in a lot earlier than usual thanks to a wonderful employee by the name of Christina. She made a note on my reservation regarding my early arrival time and if the room was not completely ready, they would find another room that would work for me. I still can't believe how accomodating they were. As usual, the property and room were kept clean and comfy. You could not go wrong by choosing this Westin.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Nick,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad to see that we made such a positive first impression despite your short visit. I'll be sure to share your comments with Christina.