“A Touch of Class”

Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 21 January 2013

A touch of class in Downtown Vancouver. Charming, small hotel with friendly, efficient staff in very convenient location. Sit by the firesides in the lobby or breakfast room. Good sized rooms with comfy beds and well-appointed bathroom suites. Traditional decor and quiet ambiance gives hotel an English feel. Room upgrades not impossible! Car valet service prompt. On 2nd visit staff knew our names and we were greeted like old friends. Now we won't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors facing Burrard - nice and quiet. Always check if upgrades possible and whether...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank djangoGibsons
Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

Reviewed 18 January 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly porter, who I think was called Corey (So sorry if I got your name wrong) and a very helpful receptionist, Sue (Likewise). We were informed we had been given an upgrade and shown to our room on the 11th floor with lovely city views. The room had a bath in the actual bedroom, which I think is really weird but maybe North Americans go in for that sort of thing. We had free wifi and a lovely little balcony to go out onto and enjoy the view. We were there in January and the room was nice and cosy even though it was quite cold outside with night frosts. We went down to the spa for a look and the fitness room was well equipped but we were a bit disappointed to find out there was no pool but you can't have everything. The Hotel is 2 minutes walk from Granville Street, the main shopping street and about a 20 minute walk to the tourist area of Gastown. It is not far about 5 mins walk from Davie Village either which is cool and trendy and really popular with us gays.
The breakfast was ok. It was served rather than buffet in the adjoining Bacchus Bar. To be honest it was really sugary and unhealthy but so much food is in North America anyway. Danish pastries, croissants, that kind of thing. Tasted nice but didnt go back the next day. The staff were really nice and friendly and cheerful, maybe a bit too much so for first thing in the morning or is that me just being a grump?
We tried to get a late checkout as our flight was not until 8pm but the hotel was full. In spite of this Sue still gave us an extra hour, which was very nice of her. The bed was mega-comfy slept like a log and the TV had hundreds of channels on it but they were nearly all adverts so we gave up on that. The wifi is included which is great. The Wedgewood staff are brilliant and the hotel lives up to its five stars. I would definitely go there again if ever I was in Vancouver.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel E
Reviewed 12 January 2013

This boutique gem in the heart of downtown delivers on it all: value, quality and proximity. As a business traveller, I stay all over the world - and this is one of the best. My priorities are superfast, reliable and free internet (this hotels was THE best and gratis), good beds and soundproofing, great onsite restaurant and being close to the action. The Wedgewood delivers on all these but so much more.... The staff are exemplary - courteous, but friendly and thoughtful too. I could get checked in at 8am before my meetings, received chocolates on my first night and they called me by name throughout my stay.

In choosing the Wedgewood over the many nearby huge upscale 'name' chain-hotels, you compromise nothing and get a whole lot more. Kudos to the staff of the Wedgewood - who know exactly what their business customers want but also what they need when away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank amc48c
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We went for New Years Eve with another couple. Had a fabulous time. The rooms are well appointed and all the staff we encountered really want to provide the best possible service. The value for the rooms is amazing. The spa was so good my wife went twice.

Room Tip: Get a Wedgewood Suite if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SBF2
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed at the hotel for New year's Eve. What a lovely experience. The staff is the friendliest in the business and we travel a lot!
Bacchus bar is such a wonderful spot.
This hotel is a delight.

Chris and Thea Upchurch

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Theetje
Reviewed 22 December 2012

The Wedgewood Hotel & Spa is situated in the center of town and is convenient to wherever you want to go. The staff are outstanding and the rooms are attractive in a very English way and are very comfortable. We love the home baked cookies every evening. We can't say enough good things about the staff. They are very professional, capable and nice!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank zyzyxx
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I go to Vancouver quite often on business, the last hotel I stayed at which I am not even going to waste my time in a review (it was that bad) The Sheraton Wall Center Vancouver if you must know. After a cold and miserable experience at the Sheraton I decided to change hotels in the same area, did a googlemaps search and found the Wedgewood. From my arriving at 2 a.m from the airport they had everything ready for me to just head on to my room and be comfy, the room was super warm and cozy, beautiful bathtub in the room with separated shower and toilet. They have really thought out every single detail that makes your stay away from home a wonderful one! They leave you warm cookies with a note every night, the towels where soft and nice to the touch (hotels usually have crappy sand paper like towels), they thought of every little thing like a dimmer light right in your bedside in case you want to read, to iPod dock radio alarm, you can control the TV with an iphone App if you so wish to do that. They have a balcony with nice chairs and ashtrays in case you smoke and don't want to feel like a criminal cold person standing out in the rain. The view at night was very beautiful with all the lit trees, then at breakfast throughout the week I had pistachio danishes, mmmm small and perfect! I also had a berry yogurt very nice. But my favorite one was the Canadian Salmon scrambled eggs with a latte and fresh squeezed orange juice, the salmon was just unreal, super fresh and delicious, it melted in my mouth.. Plus having the breakfast in front of the fire place just made things even better. Everyone in the staff was polite, gracious, ready to come to your needs at any given moment... And going back on the details of the room, you have lots of space to put your clothes, you can iron, you can use their ropes and slippers (super comfy), lots of light, you also have a mini kitchen where you can keep perishables in the fridge, microwave things and make yourself some hot coffee or tea. It is walking distance to a lot of good restaurants and shops, plus super close to bars in the downtown area. I am actually thinking of bringing my mom and son here since I know they will love it. I didn't use any of the Spa options though I wished I had because it looked so nice! But I did try out the fitness center, it is spacious, lots of machines, they have water and towels, and I had a really good workout. Oh yeah! They also have really neat umbrellas for you to use in your room closet since it rains quite a lot in Vancouver. Overall it was a great experience, I will stay here in all my upcoming business trips to Vancouver for sure! Hope my review helps your decision.

Room Tip: I think any room is great, but depends are you traveling alone or with Family? Are you a smoker or n...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business