“food & service could be better”

Osteria Napoli Ristorante
Ranked #2,286 of 3,778 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Terrace, Canada
“food & service could be better”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

our service was very slow; just getting the waiter and hostess to acknowledge us was a challenge; they seemed to both avoid eye contact because they were busy. We weren't even asked if we wanted something to drink until about 20 minutes into the evening. The food was average; certainly not up to the standard we were led to believe they promoted and charged for. I would give it a miss next time.....

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank lee3nan

Vancouver
“OK but not sure I'd return”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We bought a groupon and went last week for dinner. The reservation was easy to make, we were running late and called them, and they were nice about it. We were offered a choice of tables for 2 and chose the one by the window at the front. The back was pretty full and that's where the entertainment is, and we were in the mood for the quieter area. Water and beverage order were taken promptly. There's only 1 each of the red and white wines that you can order by the glass. The red was just ok, would have preferred a glass or carafe of chianti but didn't want to order a full bottle, and my dining partner doesn't drink alcohol. They took our dinner order in good time, and brought complementary brouchette which was not what we're used to. Baguette with a dab of tomato sauce and a dab of cheese. Plain yet tasty enough. I ordered the scallops in cream sauce with vegetables, my partner ordered the squid and scallops in tomato sauce with veg (pasta or veg was the choice). Our meals took about 45 minutes but they brought us a basket of hot buns to tide us over. Both meals were average, nothing fancy. Overall the ambiance was nice, the staff were nice and the food was average. Mind you, we didn't try the veal or the pasta dishes. The folks at the next table all had pasta and their meals looked very good. Not sure we'd go back, its just really not our thing but for people who like authentic italian dishes, check it out. This place would be great for a bigger group, in the back section where the singer is. With places like Antons nearby for pasta, and Boci for atmosphere and authentic food, there's alot of competition.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank crimsbabe
Vancouver, Canada
“The BEST”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We have gone many times and have had great service & excellent food. Have made reservations every time with no problems. Every dish we have had has been great. If you go on the weekends & would like a little quiet ask for a table at the front. The Porchetta nights are on the top of the nights to go, so much fun. They also offer take out. Written by table 2.

• Visited March 2013
Vancouver
“I've never been so disrespected in my entire life.”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We brought our Mom for her birthday to Osteria Napoli Ristorante. Called ahead and made a reservation and confirmed that we had a Groupon. Upon arrival, our server was rude, rushing us through our drink order. We weren’t ready so he left abruptly. He came back a few minutes later, still weren’t ready, he rolled his eyes and left. After ordering two carafes of wine, mussels, garlic prawns, and a bowl of clam linguine to share, the cook/owner comes out with his voice raised so the entire restaurant can hear him- “Did you buy a Groupon? And only ordered one pasta? We’re losing money here! You need to leave!” Grabs my partners AND my mom’s partner’s glass and ushers us to leave without giving us the courtesy to decide whether or not we wanted to stay and pay the full meal, even though there were no discrepancies with our Groupon. I interrupt saying that we’ve ordered two appetizers, wine, pasta, and were planning on ordering dessert for our MOMS BIRTHDAY DINNER, he apologized with “kisses” and brought us complimentary bread, excusing himself because “He is from Sicily”. He blamed the server for telling him that we ONLY ordered pasta between the four of us and were using a groupon. Shortly after, our server returned and asked us, “Have you sorted it out?”, instead of apologizing for the inappropriate behavior towards us. We explained how rude we thought the situation was handled, and he replied “That’s unfortunate.” I was so embarrassed I couldn’t help but cry, I had to leave the table to compose myself. Mid way through our meal our server left. Another server took his place. I felt rushed through our meal, our server came to take our pasta away and we asked him to pack it for us. They charged us for the full meal and made a point of stating the original bill ($87) in order for us to tip appropriately. I work in the service industry, I know how Groupons work. I’ve also NEVER been as humiliated and disrespected in my entire life.

• Visited April 2013
22 Thank KM88Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Gluttony s alive and well”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

OMG-had the family style meal. Antipasto, pasta, main entree and Tiramisu. First time there with a big group. It was like going to an Italian wedding. Very rustic restaurant with good food. Nothing pretentious. I enjoyed the experience.

• Visited December 2012