“Should have requested to move rooms!”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Olympia, Washington
“Should have requested to move rooms!”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

My husband and I came up from WA state for the weekend since we had yet to do the B.C. thing. We've lived in WA now 2.5 years and hadn't gone into Canada yet. We were really excited to go the same weekend Bon Jovi was going to be in B.C. so we grabbed up some really cheap tickets and off we went. We found this hotel for an affordable price but we soon figured out why.

The hotel is in a wonderful location. Had it been a weekend to play down at the water, this would have just completed this weekend. Everything was in walking distance for us. We ended up walking ALOT. The bus system is really nice too and drops off right in front of the hotel.

We arrived early and that was probably why we ended up with this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE room. I believe it was room 117. Whatever you do, request that you don't get this room or any room near the elevator or near the ice machine. Holy toledo. I would also suggest you get a room that is not facing that street. Of course you won't know this until you get the room. So if you get your room and its any of these things or ALL these things like it was for us, GET OUT while you can. We were in for a terrible night of people in and out all night long, drunks screaming/having a great time out on the street, ice machine that was broken and people attempting to use it and it making all kinds of crazy noises, etc.......I tried to request to switch rooms the first night but they were all filled up. No such luck. I think what bothered us most was the folks leaving the hotel bar at 2am or whatever hour and then congregating out on the street and holding loud conversations as we all do when we drink too much. I can't tell you how many conversations we had to listen to!

Other troubling issues:
Because we didn't sleep much due to said issue above, we tried to sleep in a little in the morning. No luck. Housekeeping was VERY loud in the morning, all through the halls. Yikes. The walls are paper thin. You WILL hear your next door neighbors.

The temperature gauge wasn't working much. We had to call down to the front desk and were told to "give it some time". Wow, really?

The power went out in the morning because I was blow drying my hair and apparently the next door neighbor was as well. The reset button doesn't work in the bathroom. I called down to front desk. They told me that next door neighbor had just called too and they were sending a maintenance man to reset the circuit breaker. ARE YOU SERIOUS??

The bathroom is VERY small. My husband and I could hardly fit him and I in there.

Lastly, I have to say, one of the front desk employees, Pancho (I believe) was so incredibly nice to us the day we arrived. He really went out of his way to explain the city to us. We were very appreciative!

Would I stay again? Maybe, if i had a different room, perhaps..........I don't know.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. The room indicated in your review does not exist so it is hard for me to correct the issue with the temperature gauge and the issue with the power to your room. I believe that it is a good thing that a circuit breakers will pop as this prevents any serious issues to develop.
I would like to address the issue of the noise outside your room on the street. While I would love to never have an issue again it remains to be a fact that city life does go on all hours of the day and we have no control over this.
I will address this issue of housekeeping in the hallways that I do have direct control over and rectify the issues you have described. I will also have a look into the ice machine.
I do hope that you will give us another chance during the warmer months and that you will be able to use this excellent location to its true splendor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 April 2011

This hotel is a hop, skip and jump away from the English Bay. Everything you need is in walking distance around the hotel. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and provide a map of the area. There breakfast in the hotel is great, too. A good deal during the week for $5.99 per person.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor best view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Thank you for your kind review and we do hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for staying with us.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed at Best Western Sands for three nights, after coming over from Europe. Although we specifically requested a quiet room before (being tipped of by tripadvisor), we were not so lucky. We ended up having a room to the street, which was really noisy: till late at night, a bus stopped regularly in front of our room, making a lot of noise (a.o. from the pneumatic valve). What is more, between 11 and 12 pm a car alarm went of four times. Next day, we asked to have a room to the back and got it. On the third evening, we saw a bunch of teenagers going out. Unfortunately, they came back around 10 pm and went to their rooms, which happened to be on our floor. They partied all through the night, with regular trips to the ice machine. They even knocked on our door. Although we asked the front desk to help, nothing happened. When we reported the hell of a night to the front desk next morning, they actually said to know of nothing! They couldn't find any complaint made at night. When we asked to be compensated for our hell of a night, we got 10% (!!) discount for this third night.
All in all, don't go there, don't pay money which isn't worth it, and spread the word.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tineadam1017
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
.I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel; however I believe that we do not have control over the noise outside of our property line and car alarms in the neighbourhood! When you requested a new room, it was given to you, so not a problem there.
As for the teenage noise there are no reports of this from any guests and if we don't know about the noise we can't stop it. In the future when you travel to other hotels and this happens to you again and I am sure it will, please inform the desk. The hotel in question will then have time to react to the situation and not find out about it when it’s all over.
I can only assume that you were looking for more compensation and were disappointed not to get it more
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2011

This was the first english speaking hotel I've stayed in for a long time and it was my first trip to Canada so I had no expectations what-so-ever but was pleasantly surprised. The room was nice, clean, had everything I needed and was lovely and big. For me it was nice and quiet and was never bothered by other people staying in surrounding rooms etc. The staff were lovely in particular the guy who helped me extend my stay and checked me out when I left was lovely and always helpful. The cleaning staff were also very pleasant when we crossed paths and did a good job. I would stay here again as it fitted perfectly into everything I needed for my trip.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you for staying with us and we are certainly glad that with your fist visit to Canada it was a pleasant one. If you are every in the area again we hope that your will stay with us again.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I've been visiting Vancouver since 2008, and staying at this hotel since 2009. Such an amazing location, right beside the ocean, and central to so many other amenities.
Traveling by transit is so much easier having two main routes stop right outside the door.

Incredible staff, especially the housekeeping folks- the fact that one on my floor (Isabella, I think her name was) actually remembered me personally, even though I hadn't stayed there in a year, made me feel especially at home.

The room was clean as always, the TV had recently been upgraded, and the bathroom was spotless as well. The room was a Bay view, so it was really nice to wake up and see the ocean. But that also meant dealing with the noise from the busy street below. It didn't bother me too much though, since i'm a pretty heavy sleeper.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel for people who are looking for a good value, but exceptional amenities, really friendly service, and awesome location as well.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor are great.
  • Stayed March 2011
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
This is very kind of you to give us such a glowing review. Both the staff and I would like to thank you. It goes to show you that hard work and dedication to ones craft pays off when a guest like yourself leaves us feeling rested and relaxed. Thank you once again and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Western Plus Sands Hotel.
Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2011

This hotel is located in a nice part of Vancouver and does have a restrauant attached. The service is acceptable but not what I expected for a plus rating.

If you are trying to get any sleep do not stay at the BW Sands in Vancouver. The outside noise and noise from other rooms goes on all night. The outside windows are single pane and it sounds like the windows are open all of the time and the walls are so thin I could hear the person next door snoring all night. If you stay bring the earplugs.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bev K
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Best Western has very strict standards on service with in our 3 levels of hotels, so I am a little perplex as to what you are expecting from the PLUS standards of Best Western.
If you would be so kind as to contact the hotel via email and explain what you were expecting we would then be able to make your next stay more enjoyable. Many thanks for your feedback as we can only improve with knowledge.
Victoria, BC Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Loved the location down at English Bay. We spent 2 nights and had a room facing the water with wonderful views. We are light sleepers and were not disturbed by any noise even though our room fronted Davie Street. When we arrived and checked in to our room (with a King size bed), we found there was water on the bathroom floor due to a leak in the toilet. We were moved promptly and although they were unable to find us another view room with a king size bed, we were given another lovely room with a queen and a hidabed. The couch was very comfy to relax on. I have attached pictures of both rooms. Although there is not breakfast included, they had a very reasonable breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. There is also a Tim Hortons directly across the streeet. We were going to a hockey game and took a bus and did not have to transfer. The bus stop was not even a 1/2 block away and we were dropped right at Rogers Arena. Very handy. We had a nice 1/2 hr walk to Pacific Centre earlier in the day. This is the first time we have not stayed at a hotel within a couple of blocks to Rogers Arena. We really enjoyed the change being right down at the water. The WIFI worked well in the room and they even provide bath robes and an umbrella. When we checked in they provided 2 for 1 coupons for a appetizer, drink and dessert. We used them all!!! Front desk staff, servers in the restaurant/bar and cleaning staff friendly and always had a smile.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
Thank you for the kind words and it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We all hope that you will come back and see us again in the future. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to the staff and once again thank you for staying with us.