“Better than I would have guessed!”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Better than I would have guessed!”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Sept. 22 - 25. OK. It's a Best Western. But add Plus, and I guess that's the difference. Excellent, accessible location - Davie and Denman. Super close to lots of restaurants, the beach at English Bay, Stanley Park. Very walkable. Also convenient to the tour bus - Big Bus, etc. - only block and a half away.

We found the front desk staff friendly and check-in very efficient, and our room was as we had requested - upper floor. A little noisy as we were adjacent to the street, but it's the city and that's part of city life. If it's too much, close the window, (yes "real windows" that open for air) and turn on the AC to mask the offending car and bus noise.

Our price was reasonable by comparable standards. As far as hotels go, it's not the newest and the room was a bit on the small side, but finishes and furniture were fresh, room and bath were very clean and on the whole, suited our needs well.

We even ate in the "Checkers" Bar and Grill on property - enjoyed a decent burger and some local talent @ Karaoke. Very friendly folks.

We look forward to our next visit. Sooner is better!

P. S. I see where some on this board have complained about sketchy neighborhood. I did not find it scary. It was well lit, a good presence of police at night, and honestly, the most colorful portion of the West End on Davie adds to the interest of the area. We loved it! If you want to play it timidly, then there are plenty of options for meals and sundries (Large London Drug!) within one block of hotel. Also, the description from birdieCalgary of plumbing issues and dated bath facilities were not our experience at all.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
The staff and I are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this review. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Leicestershire
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This hotel couldn't have suited us better, the location was superb and ideal for exploring English Bay and the West End, including Stanley Park. All the staff were extremely helpful, polite and courteous, both during our stay and prior to it when they offered great advice for transport to and from Vancouver Airport which is about 30 minutes away by taxi. The Checkers Bar food, drinks and service was exceptional and the food was good value for money and very enjoyable, with a wide choice. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff at the Sands, and we were very impressed by the welcoming and friendly approach from everyone, no matter what time of day or night, or however busy they were.

We booked a Twin Room at the back of the Hotel for two nights, either side of a trip to the Rockies, and both nights were very restful in clean, beautifully presented accommodation with plenty of space. The first overnight stay followed a long flight from the UK, and we were in bed and asleep by 7pm! The second overnight trip was in a different Twin Room, which was equally as nice as the first room. The bathrooms were well appointed, with really good showers, plenty of lovely towels, and were spotlessly clean. We were able to leave left luggage with the Reception staff at no charge, and this was really useful, and well organised. The whole Hotel was superbly clean, and well maintained, and we were very impressed with the entire experience.

On both occasions we walked around the local area, including Stanley Park which is fantastic, and were impressed with the cleanliness of the City, and we felt very safe, even when walking back from a lovely Italian restaurant a good few blocks down Davie Street at night. We are two mature ladies, and had no worries whatsoever about being alone without our husbands in this Hotel or locality.

We had read reviews of lots of hotels in Vancouver before booking the Best Western Plus Sands Hotel, and were really delighted with the choice we made. It couldn't have been more perfect, and we would recommend the Sands to anyone, including families, single ladies, lone travellers etc. We had read a few negative reviews about the Sands, thankfully they didn't put us off, and we cannot understand why anyone should have any complaints so our advice is to ignore any reviews which don't praise this lovely Hotel!

A big thank you to all the staff at the Sands, you made our trip to Vancouver very enjoyable, and we would have no hesitation in booking to stay with you again.

Room Tip: We stayed at the back of the Hotel so we didn't get the noise from the Street.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to send us this wonderful review. It has certainly inspired the staff to continue to deliver their outstanding customer service. It is always a pleasure to hear from a guest who has enjoyed their vacation and has experienced Vancouver for all it has to offer.
Thank you once again and please come back and visit with us again in the near future.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This review is severely overdue! I stayed at the Sands from 4/17/11-4/25/11 and my stay was every bit as enjoyable as the first. I booked through Priceline for this stay instead of booking through the BW site and had no issues when checking in or out. When entering or exiting the hotel, the front desk staff seemed to always make a point of speaking to not just my friend and I, but to anyone else in the lobby. Their friendliness and courtesy made approaching them for suggestions or even to just chat about the day easy. It is an older building so the rooms (at least the two I've been in) are small but well furnished.

There is not enough I can say about the hotel's location. At the corner of Denman and Davie, it is a short walk to Stanley Park and with buses that stop in front of the hotel, it is easy to get to any other destination in the city. As far as the area, I never felt unsafe. There are a number of clubs at the opposite end of Davie that are open late (>1 mile away). I have walked alone (not that I recommend doing so) from them in the wee hours of the morning without fearing for my safety. For some of my visit I ventured out by myself and never worried about returning at night and being harassed.

As for bars, I highly recommend the Bayside Lounge. Next door to the hotel proper, the service there is great as are the drinks...and you can charge back to the room ;) The highlight of my stay was seeing Sue. Though she did not remember my name, she remembered my visit from last year and that highly impressed me. To me she exemplifies what is right with the property: the personalized, not forced friendliness and service. Each server that passed took the time to check on me even though I may not have been at "their table."

For the downtown area, I feel this hotel is a great value. Again, I say this is not a new hotel with bright, wide open spaces and new fixtures. It is an older hotel with it's own style and charm. While the service, location and value are top notch, do not expect five-star luxuries. For me, it falls in the category "base of operations," to use solely for sleeping when not out and about. I can't wait to return to Vancouver next year and I will definitely be booking this hotel for my trip.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Thank you so much for the favourable review on both the hotel and the surrounding area. I will pass your comments on to the staff as they always enjoy hearing that their hard work pays off.
Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing soon.
calgary
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We were scheduled to embark on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska and so we booked into the Best Westen Sands Plus hotel since it was close by. We definately did not feel safe! Driving down the street towards the hotel was quite a scary experience with homeless people, drunks, drug additcts, transvestites etc walking up and down the street and all over the road. When we arrived we were expected to pay an extra $16 for parking. The parking was in an outdoor area with aboslutely no security at all. Through out the night when my husband looked out the window he could see people peering into the vehicles in the parking lot looking for things to steal. We ended having to take everything out of our vehicle and we were worried that the vehicle might not be there in the morning. Not a secure feeling! The elevator needed a room key to operate which was good but it was just inside a wide open area where street people could come in at any opportunity. The room was horrific!! The bathroom had broken tiles and a pink bathtub from the 70's. The faucets were rusty and disguisting! The shower head was a small white plastic hose that gave out barely enough water to get wet. The airconditioner was the cheap kind that was placed in a window and didn't work at all. My husband managed to wedge our suitcases against the door in such a fashion that we felt that if someone tried to come into our room during the night we would hear them. Not exactly what you would expect for over $250 per night!!
Probably the worst part was that a few weeks later when we were home from our vacation my husband received an email from the manager asking him to rate his experience at the hotel. When he responded with our honest opinion the manger emailed him back and said he would only agree with the fact that the airconditioner didn't work and was going to disregard all our other comments. My husband then responded to the manager that if he didn't want an honest response he shouldn't have asked!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank birdieCalgary
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
As you can see many seasoned travellers have reviewed us with constructive suggestions and glowing reports. Please read all the reviews on our hotel to ensure you have an accurate opinion of the property. I must stress to all the readers that the description in this review does not reflect our vibrant neighbourhood.
UK
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night last week. We found ourselves in Vancouver a night early so walked in and Paulette on reception was so friendly and helpful in getting us a beautiful room for the night. We overlooked the street but could see the water from our room which was lovely. The room itself was great and couldn't fault the location. The only shame with the room was the water pressure in the shower- I had to lay down in the bath to wash my hair on the end. We went to the hotels bar checkers on the first night and it was very busy with karaoke going on and was great for an evening. We also had breakfast there the next morning and it was excellent. Jackie was very friendly and helpful and great to give tips on where to go! Overall greet night!

• Stayed September 2011
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We have repaired the water pressure issue and I hope that your stay was not tarnished in anyway do to that specific problem. I do hope you will come and see us again in the not too distance future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Myself, my hubby & 2 of our good friends stayed at this hotel last week. We loved it because it was walking distance to English Bay and Stanley Park. Beautiful area in Vancouver! The staff were fantastic, we had a few problems using our card and they instantly tried to help, so pleased with their service. We also used their neighbouring pub Checkers for breakfast everyday (very reasonable!), very tasty, again the staff were super friendly. We also had lunch at the Checkers and Tea at the Bayside Bar both very good. Our rooms were big and the beds really comfortable. Overall great time had by all!!

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel as rooms on Davie Street can be noisy due to traffic passing by.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will be able to visit Vancouver and the hotel again in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review.
Palmdale, California
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Best Western Sands is located within walking distance from Stanley Park--a great place to go to swim, run, or walk. While we were in Vancouver, we also used the Big Bus, and a stop was just down the street. It was really convenient. The room was beautiful, the beds were comfortable, and I truly loved the pillows! We had an ocean view room on the 5th floor. It was a bit noisy because we were right above a bus stop, but we had the fan on the air conditioning turned to high and everyone slept just fine. The air conditioning worked it's hardest, but wasn't able to keep the room as cool as we would have liked. And the shower controls reminded me of my grandma's bathroom that was last updated in the '50s. I couldn't get that hot/cold mix just right. Other than those two tiny things, we loved the hotel. The housekeeping staff was really friendly. The front desk staff was helpful. And the food and staff in the restaurant was great. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Thank you for pointing out the 2 areas that you felt needs improvement. As an FYI we are in the midst of upgrading the shower controls and have just recently received a portion of the new air conditioning units as part of our upgrade program. Please come back and see us again.