“Good hotel, good location, very helpful staff, noisy on a Friday night!”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #48 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
“Good hotel, good location, very helpful staff, noisy on a Friday night!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Only stayed one night in this hotel as we were en route to Victoria. The staff were very helpful with organising us an early check in. They also organised our bus/boat tickets to get to victoria including organising a pick up from the hotel which again was very helpful. Our room was fine, spacious, comfortable bed and nie bathroom. The location is ideal for exploring the whole of Vancouver and there are lots of nice bars and restaurants nearby. The only issue we had was that it was extremely noisy from the street at night. If we had been staying more than one night I would certainly have complained and asked to be moved as we hardly slept. I would recommend this hotel based on quality and service although maybe think twice if you are a light sleeper!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you Mrs Wheelan for reviewing our property and the area. I pleased to hear that the front desk agents were able to help you with your travel plans and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Very helpful staff. Great location a half a block from English Bay and Stanley Park. Bus stop was at the corner with routes to take you all over town. Room was lovely. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
We look forward to seeing again soon and thank you for taking the time to send in a review.
Penticton, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My Fiancee and I stay at this property every single time we come to Vancouver, which is quite often. (Last time was June 17). I am an employee of Best Western and am always treated at this Best Western exactly how I like to treat guests when I'm on the employee side of the desk. The staff are as knowledgeable as they come and the service is unbelievably good. This coupled with the location should be enough to have this property full every single night. Steps to the beach, Denman St where there are more restaurants and shops than you'd ever need, and Stanley Park is not far away. The little bit of noise that you get from the street at night is well worth the view of the ocean.

Overall, there isn't a better spot in the city to stay, and we will continue to come back again and again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you Tim and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This was my third visit to the hotel and I was just as pleased as with my previous visits. I can't say enough about the property's location. It's a short walk to Stanley Park and the beaches with the rest of downtown easily accessible either on foot of by the buses that stop just out front. I've found the area to be quite safe no matter the time of day and have no qualms about sitting outside on the beach just steps away late at night or coming back late after a night out.

The staff was very friendly and professional and easily offer suggestions for activities/outings. My flight arrived early in the day and I arrived at the hotel around noon. Though check-in was a few hours away and I had planned to store my bags and get something to eat, they had a room ready for me without a fuss.

The room I had was a king bedroom facing the city (away from the street) and I never had an issue with sounds. Having stayed in a room next to the elevator in the past, I do advise getting one removed from it. The housekeepers were very pleasant when I passed them in the hall. They even asked if I needed anything when I left the room with the 'do not disturb' sign on the door.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Having stayed at a few different hotels in the metro Vancouver area, this hotel is hands down the best value for the money.

Room Tip: request a room away from the elevator and facing the mountains
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
I will pass your kind comments onto the staff and thank you for taking the time to send in a review of the area and our hotel. We look forward to seeing again soon.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel is centrally located just few steps away from English Bay and Stanley Park. A bit of a walk from Robson st. but you get on the bus (right on corner) and go around town. A nice staff check us in, he did ask for my credit card even though everything was paid, but I had no problems (If there was a security deposit we were not informed, if there was one I would have like for the staff to tell us).

The staff was very polite and answered our questions about the city, he informed us about bus routes and fares and how to go to different places in the city. He also advised us to carry our umbrellas when he saw we were leaving without one.

The hotel is nice and overall I had a good stay. There is construction a few meters away but I did not hear any noise and was not bothered by construction even though I had a room facing the street. I did not see a safe in the room but it had a small refrigerator and coffee. There is a bike rental across the street and many restaurants around the corner.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank teresa3000
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. Upon check in it is the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands Hotel policy to take a security deposit on a valid credit card. This is required by all guests checking into the hotel regardless if the room has been prepaid. This system allows for guests the convience of signing incidentals to their rooms and making long distance calls from your room etc. While I realize that not every hotel has this policy we have found that this requirement works well for our hotel.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Sands is a great hotel. The location couldn't be better, 200m to the sea (beach even) and 10 minutes by bus from the "city center" (hotel is actually located in the heart of downtown). Bus C22 runs right across the street via Davie Street every 10 to 15 minutes. There is no sound-proof windows so the rooms facing Davie are a bit noisy (traffic). If you want to have views to the sea, the street facing rooms are for you. Less noise but without the sea view is available in the rooms facing the back yard. You choose, either way a great place to stay in Vancouver!

Rooms themselves are equipped with A/C, coffee/tea making facilities + a fridge which was a big bonus! Bathroom was very clean, it had enough space and there was a tub + shower. All in all room was very well maintained & clean and equipped with big queen sized beds (twin rooms have two queen beds). Breakfast wasn't included so can't comment about that. But there is great coffee places right around the corner so no worries there. Actually the nearest is Starbucks (surprise!), which is located at the end of the Davie Street (50 meters from the hotel).

I would recommend BW Sands without hesitation and would definitely stay here again. And I hope I will, Vancouver were one of the best places I have every visited...

Room Tip: Rooms facing Davie Street are a bit noisy (traffic), but they have a sea view. Rooms facing the back...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your extensive review of the surrounding area and our hotel. I was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the in the near future.
Tauranga
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We're currently staying at the Best Western Plus Sands and really recommend it. I had emailed the hotel letting them know we might arrive early (we did) and they had our room all ready for us -plus accommodated a special request. The reception staff were all very helpful and knowledgeable. The location is simply fabulous, the rooms are spacious and clean... really good value and a great stay.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room facing away from Davie St
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marksonia
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for the kind review and we are pleased to know that you are enjoying your stay.