“Average to Good, a Few Changes from Last Time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands
Ranked #47 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Calgary, Alberta
“Average to Good, a Few Changes from Last Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I just stayed at the BW Sands for a block of four days. I have stayed at this hotel quite a fair amount over the past 10 years since leaving the city, and it remains one of my main choices for a stay. The biggest plus for this property is its proximity to English Bay and Stanley Park - such an amazing view and parkway on your door step!

The biggest disappointment of my stay here this time was the "nominal fee" for parking. Back in 09 and I was so happy because the parking was free and when I rented a car - a Lincoln Town Car - there was plenty of space to park.

The disappointment came when there was a $15 per day charge for parking -- it says 'nominal' on the booking info on BW's site, and I think that is a bit more than 'nominal'. But even more frustrating was that I could swear that the size of the spots themselves have been reduced so more cars can fit... when I was there in 09 I could easily park my Lincoln Town Car there and open doors without a problem... yet on this trip, my wee VW Golf had issues finding a spot, and I swear there was a dint made from an adjacent car while staying there (of course, can't prove it, NBD, but it is frustrating).

The room service menu has changed a great deal as well - only a few items are available for delivery, which makes this gluten-free gal a bit sad. I was able to talk the room service folks into making a special delivery though, so it wasn't a major bust.

Overall, the customer service and the amenities are still great - clean rooms, really wonderful housekeeping staff, and helpful people around each corner. I had booked originally an 'ocean view' room, but also on that side of the building was a massive construction project going across the street, and it started at 730a! I phoned to the front desk to see if there were different room options, and within 30min they had me in a different room facing the mountains, which was amazingly quiet.

So my recommendation would be if you were travelling without a vehicle (which is absolutely fine in that part of town, a lot of public transit options available), you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for the location and dollar - a lot of dining options around (and up the street on Davie), but just be aware of the parking charge and the parking lot -- it isn't the best for those driving.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with a 'mountain' view, not an ocean view... they are cheaper, and much, mu...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tchochtke
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for the review. Parking in the city of Vancouver is very expensive and at a premium, $15 per day with in and out privileges is reasonable compared to properties in the downtown core. Some charging as much as $40.00 per day. I do not have the answer to the size of the parking spaces, but I do know that in today's environmentally friendly society smaller cars seem to be the norm. Also I am pleased that in the end you were able to get your room service order that you wished for, Please keep in mind that the menu is only a guide and we are more than happy to accommodate our guest and their dietary requirements. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

WE stayed here in July with our 2 boys, ages 10 and 7. We got an amazing deal through princeline and were very happy with this hotel! the location is fantastic and we walked to Stanley Park and all the way downtown from there.

the only negative was the restaurant on site. it was overpriced for what you got and i would not recommend the breakfast. The staff were very nice, however.

We wil definitely stay at this hotel again! it was perfect for us!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Is was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we are all pleased that it was enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

My wife and I made our first trip to Vancouver and had found the BW Sands through trip Advisor. We wanted somewhere for our 4 nights that was affordable, clean, comfortable, safe and convenient. And we got the lot. The hotel is close to Englishman Bay and a 5 minute walk to the edge of Stanley Park. Plenty of food options nearby (The Dover Arms Pub is well worth a visit), public transport to downtown at the door step and only a brisk 45 min walk to the city and even less to Granville Island.
After a long trip from Australia, we arrived early in the morning and were able to check in immediately. The clerk had reserved us a high up room out the back, so it was quiet and helped the jetlag recovery no-end. I had rung ahead a couple of times to make sure our early arrival was noted, which helped I think having booked the room through HotelClub.com (cheapest option I could find).
The room was a double Queen, so a little cramped for space, but comfy none the less. The beds were wonderful. The bathroom was a little small but functional and our daily housemaid did a wonderful job to keep it that way. Some of the decor is a little dated, especially in the halls and the lobby and admittedly, the exterior doesn't look much, but the welcome, the cleanliness and the comfort, as well as the main features we initially looked for, made our $85 per night money well spent. Importantly, it made for a great trip to Vancouver - truly one of the most liveable cities in the world. Thanks to the team at BW Sands Hotel.

Room Tip: go for a room out the back - quiet. avoid a room near the drink or ice machines.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank towrag72
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Everyone here at the hotel is pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience all that our neighborhood has to offer. Please come and see again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel in May as I was transitioning from one apartment a new one.

We selected a package that included breakfast, a drink, and cab coupons.

I recall this hotel being renovated in the last 10 years. The rooms appear to be recently renovated. Expect old style layouts (sink in a different room than the toilet and shower). Rooms were spacious and decently appointed. I phone charger alarm clock if I recall correctly.

Smell of disinfectant in the hallways so you believed it was clean. I don't know if this was a plus.

The coupons provided for drinks and meals were met with great skepticism in the restaurant. Be we finally got what we ordered.

At breakfast we had the extra pleasure of smelly, dusty, dirty deconstruction going on the restaurant area. Very unpleasant. The staff were uninterested even as we complained. I am not sure what I inhaled but it can't have been good.

The one thing that really gets me is extra charges. There was a green fee attached to our reservation. This fee was not mentioned on line or by the Best Western agent that I finally booked with. Now it was only $1 (plus tax of course) but this leads me to recommend to others (as I did recently) to give this hotel a pass. That's right guys .. I recommended friends stay at a different hotel over the long weekend for 4 nights. Makes that dollar very needed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BCtraveler44
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
I am unclear as the title of this review "Cery Central"? You seem to have quite a few issues with our hotel during your stay and this also seem to be a pattern with 50 % of your reviews. After 3 months this is the first I am being told of them and this does not allow me to correct any of this issues you said you experienced during your stay. For future stays in other properties it would be more efficient for both yourself and the hotel to told of any problems that may arise during your stay.
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed at the Sands for four nights and can't say enough about the front desk staff. They were very knowledgable and always took the time to map out the best routes. The a/c left something to be desired, but the location more than compensated for it! The room was clean, had a second sink with the microwave and refrigerator. Great for quick breakfasts before hitting the road...Lots of activity in the neighbourhood in the evening, fireworks over the Bay, great vibe!! My husband and I, along with our 9 year old, rented bikes and rode around Stanley Park, by walking to the shop across the street...we would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sending in a review and we hope to see you again soon.
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at BW Sands in Vancouver. We were very close (1 block) from English Bay. It is a fun place to gather in the evenings to watch street performers, eat ice cream or just people watch.
The hotel is also just one block from Denman street, which seemed to be a very popular area. Restaurants of almost every ethnic choice within walking distance.
The staff was very helpful, even printed out maps to the ferry terminal and a ferry schedule. In every instance, the staff answered our questions and were very helpful.
The room and bed were comfortable.
Parking (daily fee) was available and convenient.
The only negative is that there are two elevators, one was out of order the 3 days that were there. I am assuming this was only a temporary situation.
I would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the surrounding attractions. We hope to see you again.
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed 4 nights here in August and we were very pleased with the hotel. The rooms are clean and a really good bed. The location is great - close to the beach and Stanley Park and close to many good restaurants. The staff were all very friendly helpful. The restaurant/pub in the hotel had good food that you could take-out if you chose. We brought out little terrier and the hotel was very pet friendly. We will definitely return! Love the hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us and we are all very pleased that you enjoy your time in the hotel and surrounding areas. Please come and see us again soon.