“Front Desk staff rude and arrogant”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands
Ranked #48 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Charlottetown, Canada
“Front Desk staff rude and arrogant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

We had booked two rooms - one for three nights - one for two nights. The rooms were fine and the location was good. When we tried to have front desk staff (Jessica) help us book a tour she tried one company and since they were unavailable, she refused to try another - then rolled her eyes when we asked to speak to a manager. She was extremely rude and probably should change jobs. Upon checkout the same girl insisted we owed for parking, although two nights were comped (to make up for staff attitude I assume)and one had been already paid for (we had receipt) she and the other desk clerk insisted over and over we still owed. The two of them were belligerent toward us and argued with us for 10 minutes, finally realized their mistake and by way of apology simply said "a simple mistake -have a good day". We travel frequently and will not stay here again due to staff attitude. We were in Vancouver for two weeks,this was our third hotel and the worst we stayed at. the rest were fine, good service and very accommodating front desk staff. We will spread the word about the attitude here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lonaryan
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It appears that your impression of our staff was not favorable. However as this is the first I have heard of any issue with you and you are not identified on Trip Advisor I am unable to investigate any further. If you wish for me to do so please send a message to me directly via the hotels web site and I will look into the matter. Many thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed here a few nights prior to our cruise. The location was great, right off Stanley Park, walking distance to Robson. Close to many restaurants. Our room was OK, we were overlooking the parking lot but it was pretty quiet. Our AC unit was very noisy, luckily we really didn't need it. The bed was surprisingly comfortable even though it seemed to be a little soft. Maybe a little pricey for what we paid, but other hotels nearby are much more expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review, we also thank you for staying with us.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Best Western Sands recently completely renovated their pub/restaurant. A much needed effort as it was getting long in the tooth. However, although it was gutted, repainted, stone applied to accent walls, floor refinished, new furniture installed and the bar modifies it has now become a trendy, draft craft beer establishment. Prices up to $7.25 a pint. That's $7,25 plus tax and tip. The new approach has priced out many of the regulars an one knows that a good pub relies on regulars for the slow times of the year. So although it may be a nice place for a quick visit by tourists they'll find it's usually quite empty as the regulars have moved to other pubs in the neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
The change to our restaurant has been a positive one with 24 craft beer, all British Columbia wines, a new menu and live entertainment, it is understandable that you are disappointed your local has been renovated and updated. Thank you for your review and we hope that you would be able to join us again and the new regulars in "The Park at English Bay"
bc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We checked into the hotel and when we checked the bathroom, the tub/shower had moldy pink tiles. That was not pleasant. We were only there for one night so we didn't complain. Then we turned the air conditioner on and it banged all night and was very noisy, so we didn't get much sleep. We had a view of the parking lot and the roome needed upgrading. It had dark green flowered curtains ad foot cover on the bed and dark green carpets so the room looked dark. We paid $170.00 a night plus taxes and $15.00 a day for parking for this hotel because we thought it would be a nice hotel. The location is great, but the room was very disappointing. Then we went down to the restaurant at 7AM for breakfast and they had very loud hard rock music playing. It was a hard torelax with a nice breakfast. We won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank amtBc
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It is important to keep in mind that review the hotel is informed of any issues that may arise during your stay as we the hotel, then have the opportunity to respond and correct the issues. This way everyone will benefit, the hotels, future guests and travelers can then have a pleasant and seamless stays.
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Had a 2 day stay last weekend for a Nikon camera class. I called in late and the reserved block of rooms was sold out , but friendly desk person put me thru to Eddy Chau , reservation manager at that time and we were able to book for the 2nd night of my stay w/ an added promise to ''keep an eye out for a cancellation '' for my 1st day. Outcome : mission accomplished ; and then some ! Had a ''regular '' room 1st night and since I am a photographer , moved me while I was at my conference to the top floor , facing English Bay. Above and beyond service. Both rooms were spotless, and bed was great . Nice little fridge and 2nd room had a small balcony to step out on . The neighborhood is alive w/ restaurants and of course the beach . I didn't have much run around time , but it was wonderful to step out and have literally 10 different food types within a couple blocks . Eddy wasn't the only one who went out of his way , but I didn't get the others names . Suffice it to say , all were friendly and knowledgeable . Will definitely come back with my wife in the future . Oh yes, I can't forget this ; you are right on the edge of wonderful Stanley Park, miles of walking / bike trails ,beaches, wonderful views , several restaurants in the park

Room Tip: Rooms facing English Bay , esp. corner rooms .
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
It sounds like you were able to enjoy the surrounding area on top of your jam packed 2 days. Thank you for the review and we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Puyallup
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel because enrolled in training being held in their conference center. A bit pricier than what we are used to, but given its prime location, can understand why. Hotel is clean and odor-free (an important factor for those of us with sensitive noses!). Staff friendly and professional. Lobby area is smaller than that of newer HIE, and comparable newer mid-range hotels. I was hoping to have a place to relax in the lobby as have a few hours to kill between check out and departure, but lobby is too small for that. Had room with king sized bed, flat screen tv, small fridge (no freezer), sink, microwave and very nice coffee maker. Bathroom almost too small, but again, very clean and well lit. Did not try adjacent restaurant/pub. Hotel is quick walk across the street to English Bay and Seawall walkway that goes all the way to Stanley Park. I am retired and not in the best shape but was able to easily walk the apprx 5km (3.5m) round trip to Ferguson Point in Stanley Park. Lots of benches and drift wood logs to sit and enjoy the view and activity. Beach and walkway area can be crowded, but if you enjoy people watching, this is the place. Starbucks and Hortons' both nearby. Lots of restaurants also. Saw a hot dog stand set up near the beach. Also, Cactus Club restaurant on the beach has a "cocession" stand which is effectively, take out. Not cheap, but excellent food and a bit cheaper than lunch at some of the nearby restaurants. Exercise room on site but did not use it. Much more pleasant to go across to the walkway and enjoy the out of doors if weather permits.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bodori
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the time to enjoy that surrounding area during your training session. We hope to see you again soon.
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I just stayed at the BW Sands for a block of four days. I have stayed at this hotel quite a fair amount over the past 10 years since leaving the city, and it remains one of my main choices for a stay. The biggest plus for this property is its proximity to English Bay and Stanley Park - such an amazing view and parkway on your door step!

The biggest disappointment of my stay here this time was the "nominal fee" for parking. Back in 09 and I was so happy because the parking was free and when I rented a car - a Lincoln Town Car - there was plenty of space to park.

The disappointment came when there was a $15 per day charge for parking -- it says 'nominal' on the booking info on BW's site, and I think that is a bit more than 'nominal'. But even more frustrating was that I could swear that the size of the spots themselves have been reduced so more cars can fit... when I was there in 09 I could easily park my Lincoln Town Car there and open doors without a problem... yet on this trip, my wee VW Golf had issues finding a spot, and I swear there was a dint made from an adjacent car while staying there (of course, can't prove it, NBD, but it is frustrating).

The room service menu has changed a great deal as well - only a few items are available for delivery, which makes this gluten-free gal a bit sad. I was able to talk the room service folks into making a special delivery though, so it wasn't a major bust.

Overall, the customer service and the amenities are still great - clean rooms, really wonderful housekeeping staff, and helpful people around each corner. I had booked originally an 'ocean view' room, but also on that side of the building was a massive construction project going across the street, and it started at 730a! I phoned to the front desk to see if there were different room options, and within 30min they had me in a different room facing the mountains, which was amazingly quiet.

So my recommendation would be if you were travelling without a vehicle (which is absolutely fine in that part of town, a lot of public transit options available), you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for the location and dollar - a lot of dining options around (and up the street on Davie), but just be aware of the parking charge and the parking lot -- it isn't the best for those driving.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with a 'mountain' view, not an ocean view... they are cheaper, and much, mu...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tchochtke
Thank you for the review. Parking in the city of Vancouver is very expensive and at a premium, $15 per day with in and out privileges is reasonable compared to properties in the downtown core. Some charging as much as $40.00 per day. I do not have the answer to the size of the parking spaces, but I do know that in today's environmentally friendly society smaller cars seem to be the norm. Also I am pleased that in the end you were able to get your room service order that you wished for, Please keep in mind that the menu is only a guide and we are more than happy to accommodate our guest and their dietary requirements. Thank you for staying with us.