“Good service”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands
Ranked #48 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Regina,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Near English Bay beach, Stanley Park, etc. however a meeting place for buses which makes it noisy and carbon monoxide ridden. Rooms are small, staff are sometimes obliging. Restaurant is well, acceptable but can have posted specials outside and inside the price is different. Since the construction across the street, most of the view is gone. I use to really like this hotel but my thoughts on it have changed, there are other hotels in the area some much cheaper with the same service and bigger rooms. The pub can be a gay hangout.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Your review has a few misguided facts to which I would like to address.
The buses run on electricity, hence the trolley wires and the area is not carbon monoxide ridden. The construction across the street is in the opposite direction of the partial water view, so I am not sure what water view you are referring to when you say the view is gone?
As for the comment "The pub can be a gay hangout." we here at the hotel and pub welcome everyone and do not discriminate.
Sault Ste. Marie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Fantastic location. Clean room. Friendly staff.
Our room was next to the ice machine - we heard every time it dumped newly made ice into the trough all through the night. There was no exhaust fan in the washroom so steam, etc. lingered.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank terrrr
I am sorry your stay was not pleasant and thank you for bringing these matter to my attention. I do hope you will stay with us again.
Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

The hotel was absolutely fantastic. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with kitchen. It looked recently renovated. It was perfect for our family of 5. The kitchen was great and very useful to have. The beds in the bedroom are nothing short of perfect! Have not slept so well in months! The location is unbeatable. Walk to all the best tourist spots including Stanley Park. Right across the street from the ocean. There is a bike rental right across the street too. And a Tim Hortons.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank melaniep265
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for staying with us and all of us a happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Were look forward to seeing again soon.
Chilliwack, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Our family has travelled to Africa, Europe, US, Mexico and across Canada. We have stayed at many hotels but NEVER have we experienced what we did on April 16, 2013. Our experience has still left us bewildered ...

Weeks before our arrival we were told over the phone by the BW Sands Vancouver front desk, that they would accept our BW gift card, despite paying online for the cheaper rate. However, when we got there front desk wouldn't allow it. The front desk woman accused us of not telling the truth by saying she "highly doubts anyone told you that." We then asked to speak to the manager which she rudely replied by saying she would not do that for us. Subsequently we asked to have our credit card charges reversed which Jessica at the front desk would absolutely not do or even consider. My wife then said we'd call our credit card company to reverse the charges. As we were doing that in the lobby she said loudly, "Good luck with that, they'll just refuse and tell you the same thing I've told you." We were then asked to leave her hotel. All of this while we were simply checking in!
A number of days later and with no phone call or email from us to the hotel manager we received the following email from the head manager ...

"Booking an internet only non refundable room that is required to be prepaid in advanced is just that. Not sure where the issue was and as a business professional I am sure that you where aware of those restriction. Having not stayed with us seems to be the best outcome for both parties involved. I am sure that you by now have the refund from the credit card company that you were looking for and I am considering this case to be closed and no further communication is required."

We still have never spoken to the head manager. However, when we did call the Best Western Int'l Customer Care Center in Phoenix AZ, the supervisor there was astounded by Jessica, the front desk staff and the Head Managers words, actions, attitudes and behaviour.
We were subsequently, without asking, given 8000 Best Western Reward Points for a free nights stay at any Best Western ... you can be sure we'll not be staying at the Best Western Plus Sands in Vancouver!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Allan R
Thank you for posting your thoughts on this matter and I can assure you that you were not on a "Prank Hidden Camera Show". As a world traveler I trust that you completely understand and have read the booking condition prior to making your reservations. It clearly indicated that your booking was to be prepaid and non-refundable. When you arrived at the hotel you wanted to change those booking conditions.
While I understand that you saw no issue in wanting to change these conditions, because to you a booking is a booking. However in your case you received a discount hotel room and in exchange you awarded that discount as long as you did not change the booking conditions.
As for the attitude of Jessica and the staff, including myself I think that the rest of the reviews posted here reflect a different story and perhaps a different approach to situations were used.
Sooke, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

The location and hotel work well. The location is great. The water was cool for a shower on one of the mornings and there was noise about 8:00 am one day like furniture was being moved above our room but this only lasted a few minutes and overall our stay was really good, including the $5.99 breakfast that we were able to get after 11:00 am.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank DanicaF114
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
I was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our new $5.99 Breakfast Feature. It is a great value and you don't even have to leave the hotel. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for the review.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

Enjoyed this hotel! The location couldn't be any better. Across the street is English Bay. So close to Stanley Park. A short walk to some great restaurants along Denman Street. Very close to all the usual downtown sights. Bus 5 and 6 stop right in front of the hotel so if you are not in the mood for walking, it is easy to get around downtown on these two buses and to the SkyTrain stations to get further away. The grocery stores: Safeway and No Frills are a short walk away. Easy to get snacks and things.

Staff were friendly, attentive, very helpful and genuinely warm. Hotel restaurant also offers a great breakfast deal (bacon, eggs, toast) during the weekdays.

My room was facing the back alley and was on a lower floor. However, I spent very little time in the room and this did not matter much. I would recommend that if view matters, try for a room on the highest floor facing Davie St. The room I had was small, it was tight turning around in the room with even a small suitcase out but I was here on business. Had my family been out, especially with kids, this might have been a bit of a challenge. Despite it's smaller size, it was well furnished and had a fridge. Internet was free and I had no problems with the speed. Good coffee maker in the room. Had iPod/iPhone dock on alarm clock so I could have woken up to my own tunes. A security feature I liked was having to insert room key to call the elevator to lobby to access the floors with rooms. Used the exercise room and it had great cardio equipment. They also had a small weight machine and free weights. The only downside for me was the bed sunk in a bit so my sleep was a comfortable as it could have been.

My room was clean, even behind the dresser where the electrical outlet was. Older hotel but well maintained. Attention to details like fixing chips on doors and keeping the grout clean and intact on the tub was noticed.

Cute large stuffed moose wearing a RCMP uniform in the front lobby was a friendly touch!

Great value for a downtown hotel! Would stay here again for business or leisure!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ay_88
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
All of the staff thank you for taking the time to review their hard work and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Out location is like no other, so close to everything. We hope to see you again soon.