“great place for kids and jet lag”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 May 2013

the hotel isn't the newest in the city, so expect things to look a little bit dated and only a few floors have views, BUT the staff really do work hard to make the hotel a really great place to stay (and honestly who really spends time in their room when they are on holiday?!). It's spotlessly clean and tidy, any issues are quickly and politely resolved by front desk staff (who are great) and much to my relief (having just flown for 10 hrs with two kids under 5) the quiet room at the back I requested really is very quiet at 6pm and stays that way all night. The location is excellent - Tim Horton's opposite opens 5am - midnight, perfect for jet lag, but for the unadventurous McDonalds, Safeway and Starbucks are also within a block's walk. To keep the kids happy the facilities of 2nd Beach are a 10 min stroll away. I'll stay here the next time I'm in Vancouver, and look out for the mounted police sign in the parking lot (the parking charges are pretty reasonable too)!

Room Tip: Ask for what's important to you, the staff will do their best.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we delivered everything you requested. The staff work very hard to make our property feel comfortable and inviting. Thank you for taking the time to send in this review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We spent one night before going on a week long cruise. The location was great, close to English Bay, Stanley Park, and many restaurants. The staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean, and I was allowed to leave my car there while we were away for the week, for a small fee. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and you found it convenient to leave your car with us. We do offer this service to our guest and we ask all cruise guest to call the hotel directly to reserve your spot as our lot is limited to extended car stays.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

clean rooms friendly staff from cleaning to front desk to management
I read several reviews before I booked this hotel and became a bit skeptical
however the location is great so chose to give it a try anyhow. Glad I did and
disappointed in some of the comments I read. They were very misleading.

Room Tip: any questions just email them they are quick to respond and will assist wherever they can
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you for staying with us and we are all very pleased to receive such a kind review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this Best Western.

I paid extra for the king size bed as I wanted a balcony, and it was a pleasure to sit on the balcony with a drink at the end of the day overlooking English Bay and watching the world go by.

I loved the location, especially given that the weather was beautiful and I could spend time wondering around English Bay and Stanley Park in the sun. There were plenty of amenities close by and I really didn’t feel I needed to go more central in the evening. Supermarket one block up, plenty of bars, relaxing area.

Great room, really comfy bed. Coffee machine with capsules. My only SLIGHT disappointment was that the air con wasn’t very effective and the room did get hot. Didn’t ruin my stay in any way.

I originally booked a room in a different, cheaper hotel downtown and I’m very glad I decided to upgrade myself pretty last-minute! I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank IanD10
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thank you for sending in the review of our hotel and we are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I'm a budget traveller but fussy about hotels. The sheets need to be good quality, and the place must be spotless and a bit attractive. The BW Sands fills the bill, and is a little home away from home for us. We always stay here when we visit Vancouver. They welcome our dog, Stanley Park is outside the front door as is the beach. The busses stop right out front if you don't drive but want to get around town. Lots of really good eating places in the neighbourhood. The rooms are small, but what the heck - we're not having a party in there. They supply a little fridge which is handy for us with our dog as she eats fresh food. The beds are comfortable. Parking is safe. Staff pleasant and helpful. Local papers are provided free of charge. This place is proof that you can stay in a nice hotel in Vancouver without sending your credit card into meltdown

Room Tip: The rooms on the back may be quieter, but the view of interesting Vancouver street life, the beach a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank for your business and it will also be a pleasure to welcome you again soon back to the hotel. I also want to thank you for taking the time to send in the review of our property, our area is a destination that can't be missed in the city of Vancouver.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank lmmacd
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel has a very good location just a few steps from English beach and many restaurants and cafes.The rooms are clean and nice with a big window with a sea view and a comfy bed.For its rate it's certainly good choice for a stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed: April 2013
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon. It is very true that our location can't be beaten. There so much to do literally on our door step.