“Oz girls on tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Perth
“Oz girls on tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

The location of this hotel was perfect for us. We were able to hire bikes from across the road to explore Stanley Park, the waterfront was a block away, plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff were also very helpful, and parking was easy. Would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and surrounding area. The location can't be beat. I do hope you are able to stay with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great location for restaurants, Stanley park and walking into town, also on a bus route. We had a lovely view of Grouse Mountain from our room and the room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was very clean and the room facilities great.
The staff were very helpful and always happy to give change for the bus, offer advice for days out or food.
Breakfast in the hotel was ok but service was terrible and slow. We found a place down the road which was better called Red Umbrella (don't be put off by the look the food is great).
The bar was great with a good choice of beers and both the bar food and restaurant food was good. But with plenty of choices around the area its best to try other places if only there for a couple of days.
Would stay again as such a great location!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are pleased that your stay was a pleasant one. I am sorry to hear that you felt the breakfast was not up to par and the service slow. If you would be so kind as to send me a quick email and let me know what was wrong with the items themselves and I can then address them. Many thanks and I hope to hear from you soon. sands@rpbhotels.com
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Being a hotel owner, I know how hard it is to get a standard of service and product across so many different departments to an customer base that has high expectations.

I checked in last minute unplanned stay, and was just expecting a mediorce brand hotel experience.

However, Staff was excellent. No hassle check-in, cabs on demand, directions, a photo copy of documents, change for bus... U name it, they seemed happy to serve me.

Rooms were very clean and I was surprised by the high quality linens. I know it sounds like a small detail, but its not in my opinion.

Anyone who wants to experience the real wonder of Vancouver, this hotel could not be better located. In a great residential area with easy access to everything Vancouver has to offer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you for the heart felt review. It means a lot to the staff to receive these kind of accolades They work very hard and strive for excellence. We hope to see again soon and thank you for staying with us.
Buffalo, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed for a week after our cruise from Alaska. I'd done my research on TA and this sounded like a good place for us. The people I talked to at the front desk sealed the deal; I booked directly from the hotel and got a very good rate---it definitely beat out the search engine travel sites. When I made the reservation I asked for a room on the backside and got it. I knew not to expect a luxury hotel but I was delighted by how clean and earth friendly the Sands is. Kudos to Anne who was our housekeeper most days.

The front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable about all things Vancouver; getting around is easy by foot, bus (right in front) or taxi. The half a block walk to English Bay Beach was a giant plus. We saw two outstanding sunsets while sitting on the logs pulled up on the beach for people to enjoy. The attached Park Restaurant has a very good breakfast special for not much more than Tim Horton's across the street and the food was great---we also ate here a couple of nights and liked it very much.

The room was spacious and had a fridge, microwave and coffeepot. Yes, the bathroom is a bit on the small side but we also had another bar-type sink where I could shave while my wife did her thing in the bathroom. Beds were okay with high marks to the linens, great TV, neat alarm clock and the best water I have ever tasted in a city--- if you buy bottled water you're nuts!

Vancouver is a very expensive city and I would highly recommend staying here and having a less expensive home base to explore from.

Room Tip: A room on the backside from Davies is quieter.
1 Thank chevybb
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
I could not have described our surrounding area and hotel any better! Thank you. All of us are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass this review onto the staff. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed a week at this hotel and really enjoyed it. I generally don't spend much time in my hotel room as I like being outside but one day I walked all around Stanley Park and the next day I walked to and from Vanier Park so by night time, I was exhausted. I decided to just enjoy my dinner inside the hotel room. The thing that really impressed me was the number of TV stations, I am a sports geek and to get TSN and TSN2 was terrific. The bed was comfortable and the view of the mountains is nice. I really wish I could have left the window open because it was a bit warm but without a screen on the window I didn't want to risk it.

Staff was very friendly and they helped me navigate my way around, both by bus and on foot.

There are so many restaurants in the area. From Tim Horton's right across the street for an early breakfast (jet lag meant I stayed on Eastern time) to an Indian restaurant right next door, a Greek/Persian restaurant around the corner, Bulgarian restaurant across from there and pubs here and there, I have absolutely no complaints and will be back next time I'm in Vancouver.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWSandsGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sands, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
We have just recently changed over our in room TV's boxes and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wide selection. I can see what you are saying about the screens. I am also from back east and it took me awhile to get used to no screens, but I can honestly say that there is no issue. We don't seem to have the need here on the coast. I do hope we will see you again soon and thank you for sending in your review.
Regina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Not a luxury property but the location can't be beat. The West End has great shops and restaurants and of course, the beach a block away. The room was spacious and clean. The only thing that looks or feels old is the elevator but it works so it's really a non-issue. Another nice thing is transit - catch the bus right in front. It goes up and down Davie St so getting to the MRT/Skytrain is super easy.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to send in a review of our property. The location is next to none and can't be beat. We look forward to seeing you again soon.